Can you recommend a book for would-be fathers?

My partner and I are planning on dipping a cautious toe into possible parenthood next year and he has asked me if there is a book that is a good introduction for dads.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Something that offers some practical information about conceiving, pregnancy and perhaps the first year from the male perspective. Nothing by Tony Parsons please!

Looking forward to hearing from you - many thanks.

Not sure there are any good ones!

Either way, nothing beats a trusted mate who has been through it- for a clear and honest view of the whole shebang (over a pint if possible!)

Failing that heres some advice - "keep your head down and get on with it" Having been through it myself, I think that just about covers all the areaas you mention..

Thank you Rook for your response.

Looking around they do seem few and far between. Most seem to be written with that awful blokey tone as if they are longing to be serialised in FHM. Definitely agree few things beat a chat with a mate and a pint.

Has anyone read The Expectant Father - sounds quite American but a good introduction?

Mr Yak dipped in to the Dummies Guide to Pregnancy which has a "just for Dads" section in it - in fact he got so into it that he read the book entirely and now proudly tells me what's going on inside my body even if I haven't got a clue! From memory I think it covers mostly pregnancy and not conception / first year only, though.

Good luck with your journey!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far. It definitely looks like The Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy is a popular choice though I think my other half would probably struggle with being defined as a 'bloke'.

Definitely going to give Christine Hill a go myself. And the Dummies Guide sounds good too.

Many thanks.

'THE BOYS OWN BOOK OF PARENTING'

Chapter 1.

The most worrying thing during the pregnancy is that traditionally the male has to carry the burden of responsibility to provide for everyone in the family and you are on your own.

No one to bail you out if you faulter!

What if I collapse, or break my leg, or they sus' me out at work as being a useless bum and then they sack me and lose my income?

Then the baby arrives, and it's not nearly as terrifying as you once dreaded.

It improves from then on, (once you understand that a baby is a full-time 24 hour occupation for one person)

after the first few days and it swells up and looks more robust, enough so that you can lift it up when it cries and without breaking it.

Then you are on your way, you'll be washing crappy nappy's like an old soldier, whilst they are breastfeeding it's easy,

until they start eating solids and you need to fix a 'swimmers nose clip' over your proboscis, to stop your eyes from watering. Or perhaps you are selfishly crying at the position you have landed yourself in, if this is the case do not let the babies mother see you sniveling she will shout at you as she hasn't the time to indulge in such pleasures.

You will have to pretend to listen intently on how many poo's it's done today compared with last week, as the babies mother has no other conversation about anything else.

She is the babies mother, and is no longer your wife, your wife, soul mate, and lover, left when the babies mother came out of hospital.

When you take the baby anywhere and it cries everyone thinks you should know what is the cause of this raucous behaviour, you have only known the baby a day or two longer than them, and you are supposed to be an expert as soon as it flops out on to the hospital floor!

To be continued.......

Just a thought: I am reading "the rough guide to pregnancy" and it's got lots aimed at dads. It's also really funny and easy to read. Husband reading ATM and likes to tell me about cervical sweeps etc. Also have a DVD called "being dad" which is Australian and v good. Made husband cry th first time round! Welcome to borrow dd but m rathe surgically attatched to my rough guide book :)

I too read the "Blokes Guide.." and, though it certainly had it's moments, found it was too laddish for me. Also read the Rough guide which was excellent - informative and funny. The book that had the most inpact on me was "Fatherhood" by Marcus Berkmann. Thorough and thoughtful - but perhaps the dry sense of humour a little too negative.

Good luck and happy reading.