Waitrose or M&S TYPE supermarket - do we want one on LL?

tsimmonds Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Waitrose please and if this forces Iceland to

> close all the better

Do you use Iceland? I'll take that as a no. Well eff off then, I quite like it. Only place you can park if you need to grab a few things quickly.

I'm not sure if anyone is still answering the original question or just criticising other people for their views...but my two pennies worth are that I'd love a Waitrose to replace the co-op, which is dreadful and never seems to have fruit and veggies in stock.

However, I agree with other comments that a far higher priority would be a pelican crossing by East Dulwich Grove - that junction is lethal.

We are city workers who work late and there is never any fresh food left in co-op on the way home at 8:30 and all the local shops are closed by then. We only moved here in September and we starve and never have any food! We need a proper supermarket. Please get an M&S or Waitrose which is fully stocked and open late.

mollieo, where do you live? presumably nowhere close to Sainsbury's DKH, Sainsbury's Lordship Lane, Tesco East Dulwich Road, the Turkish supermarket on Lordship Lane. And there are no shops in the city???

You have jobs in the city but lack the organisational skills to buy dinner before you get on the train home (or, you know, at weekends)?

To be honest RosieH I think mollieo has a point. The stores you mention are convenient if you live very close to them but there's not a lot on Lordship Lane and it's environs at the time mollieo suggests.

I'm not a city worker and never have been but I am a full time working mother and pop into Co-OP frequently ( in my case about 5.30pm),to be disappointed as many others have suggested, with the range of fresh good available. Or indeed the not fresh range, dried spaghetti.

Sorry half my post got cut off!

Iceland however can almost always come up with the goods for a basic family meal.

I can understand that many City workers don't probably plan many meals in advance; they may not know at the beginning of the week how many nights they'll be in etc. That's where I think Waitrose and M&S do well. If any of you have been to the Sainsbury's by Brixton tube or Clapham Junction at around 6pm could verify; They are jammed. Actually so full in such a confined space it's not a pleasant shopping experience but pleasant indeed for the company at the receiving end of the tills!

The Co-Op does let us down but tey got there before the other 'aspirational' chains were interested, so it' a bit ' finders-keepers'

Ann, I too have known work! And in the city! I know that working around St Paul's, I can buy food on the way home from Tesco or M&S. At the Barbican there is a Waitrose. Liverpool Street offers all the riches of Spitalfields (including Carluccio's) as well as the obvious supermarket options.

If none of these will suffice and you still find you're caught short, but can't be arsed with the slight detour to any of the multiples (9 minute walk from Co-op to Tesco East Dulwich Road), nip into the Turkish supermarket on Lordship Lane - it's mere doors up from the rubbish Co-op. In there you will find all manner of fresh foods, and yes, even dried pasta. Or a couple of doors down in Green & Blue, you could pick something up from their deli counter.

Or there's a surfeit of inexpensive restaurants: a Gourmet burger, or, oh my god, the lamb chops at Hisar which I defy anyone not to feel happy about, or a curry at Thai Corner Cafe. Or you could order a takeaway - even Firezza is offering meal deals these days (and they do proper salad).

Or there's beans on toast.

Are you really telling me that in amongst all that lot, there's nothing for city types to eat at 8.30pm?

mollieo Wrote:

> We are city workers who work late and there is

> never any fresh food left in co-op on the way home

> at 8:30 and all the local shops are closed by

> then. We only moved here in September and we

> starve and never have any food! We need a proper

> supermarket. Please get an M&S or Waitrose which

> is fully stocked and open late.

I sometimes work in the city and quite often work late. There are branches of M&S (open late) at London Bridge, Liverpool St...etc, isn't it easy to pick something up from there on the way home when you have run out of food at home?

Alternatively, you could provide feedback directly to the Co-Op or Sainsbury's on LL, perhaps they'll better understand what areas to improve upon if so? (unless they are glued to this thread....)

Narnia Wrote:

> Is there any truth in the rumour that the city

> workers only have to work late 'cause they spend

> so much time during the day being witty etc on

> here and have to catch up?

What rumour's that then?

A lot of people don't work from ' 9 till 5' anymore, so not sure that people 'working late' is necessarily meant to be 'catching up' time. I could be wrong of course...

Iceland on LL opens late. Plenty of well-stocked fresh bags of salad, vegetables etc there if you MUST have a supermarket to shop in.