Waitrose or M&S TYPE supermarket - do we want one on LL?

For those interested, the Waitrose website usually update new store locations either today or tomorrow every January so for those of you craving a new Waitrose store locally to help you think you're living in Clapham keep your eyes and ears close to the ground ;-)

My hunch is that Waitrose will be heading for Sydenham or Herne Hill, a fried of mine who works for John Lewis has told me that this area has been on there priority list for five or six years and if it has not happened by now then it is likely that they will be looking at other options such as suitable area in a close proximity to East Dulwich.

Louisa.

What is extremely attractive about Waitrose, beside the variety of products, is the very pleasant staff. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them. It is a pleasure shopping there, when I do go, which isn't very often. The last one visited was the one on the Kings Road.

I also like the fact that the staff are partners and share in the profits of the company.

+1 Somewhere near would be good. Would one in Herne Hill or West Dulwich hurt LL business that much?. Would be nice to get a decent steak and veg on the way home from work. Also Agree with Gidget about the staff.

DulwichDeviant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyway back to the Topic.

>

> I shop in M&S and Waitrose. But certainly dont

> feel the need for one in LL.

annabel42 Wrote:

> I agree completely with supporting local

> businesses, but I would certainly prefer Waitrose

> to the Co-op.

Can you have both though Annabel? Wouldn?t a lot of people just use Waitrose for meat, fish, cheese, veg, wine etc rather than the local businesses?

DulwichDeviant Wrote:

> If the people of Herne Hill agreed yes.

>

> Who remembers Iceland in LL when it was Bejam`s ?

xxxxx

I do. I even bought a Bejam fridge-freezer once, though it came from the larger Walworth Road branch :)

I think it could be existing Sainsburys Tescos and Co-op customers who would go to Waitrose. People supporting local shops would have built up a rapport with those shops and I think would remain loyal to them as would newcomers who prefer going to individual shops. Some of us through age, disability etc simply cannot manage to do the rounds of several independent shops.

A Little Waitrose format store would easily fit into the Co-Op occupied building, as it would Iceland and even the Sainsburys Local the other end of the high street! My personal feeling is that Waitrose are not overly excited about spreading into 'perceived' down market London post codes. I say perceived because dulwich village and other affluent pockets in SE London are just that, pockets (in the eyes of big business) in a sea of deprived neighbourhoods with poor transport links. As hard as this may be to swallow for those who believe ED is on a affluent par with areas in the SW postcode it isn't actually that affluent! This isn't just a poorly thought out opinion, but an observation based on the fact both Waitrose and M&S have failed to make enough effort to find suitable places to put stores locally. If they really thought there was a market for their products they would have opened stores long ago when the gentrification train swept through ED... Just saying...

Louisa.

Why can't we have independent shops AND a Waitrose? What's wrong with you guys? I lived near Whitecross Street (EC1) and when a Waitrose arrived, everyone from the Peabody Estates, the posh Barbican flats, council flats and mortgaged-to-the-hilt people all poured in. It is packed every hour it is open and all the market stalls, hairdressers, newsagents, bookstalls locally benefit too. Get with the programme!

I work for John Lewis and I can safely say that when space allows for a Waitrose we'll be straight in. Unfortunately there just isn't any right now!

We've had our eye on both Herne Hill and ED for many years and recognise there is definitely a market and demand, it's just that we need a decent amount of space and any store that has it doesn't want to part with it!

It's a shame as I'd love to claim my 15% discount, but then I really rate the local businesses we have like LocalGreens, William Rose butchers and GG Sparkes mobile butcher at the Saturday Northcross Rd Market.

However, it would be great to buy the food I get at Sainsbury's from Waitrose instead ;-)

Louisa I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think there was a M and S or similar in Peckham many years ago. I believe Peckham in those days was quite a prestigious shopping centre.

For those saying a Waitrose would take away business from independent shops, in marylebone High Street there is a Waitrose, a Tesco (express or metro?) A fishmonger, a cheese shop,wine shops and a butchers nearby.

I am not a Telegraph reader/latte drinker and don't have a butler (I wish!)but I do feel that having an M & S and a Waitrose would have a beneficial effect on the area.

tarafitness Wrote:

> I work for John Lewis and I can safely say that

> when space allows for a Waitrose we'll be straight

> in. Unfortunately there just isn't any

As much as I'd love to believe what you are saying, why is it the case that when the huge shop now occupied by sainsburys local at the plough end of LL went up for sale, John Lewis didn't snap it up quickly and pay the extra money to put their presence into this part of London,? They were obviously outbid by sainsburys who wanted the property more, despite having a huge store less than a mile down the road! And I can use examples of areas with smaller retail space opportunities have still seen waitrose and M&S open stores! This is why my belief is that despite actively entertaining the idea, they just cannot justify it enough to spend significant funds on bidding for retail space. 1/2 a mile down the road from the LL roundabout huge retail spaces have been up for rent/sale for three years plus, the lack of space just isn't a feasible excuse!

Louisa.

annabel42 Wrote:

> Louisa I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think

> there was a M and S or similar in Peckham many

> years ago. I believe Peckham in those days was

> quite a prestigious shopping centre.

>

Yes it did, the big M&S on Rye Lane sadly closed down in 1988, and with it went a great shopping tradition which had been around Peckham for nearly 200 years. I have expressed my opinions on the way Peckham has been neglected in the last 30 years and the way the big chain interaction with quality independent local shops was allowed to fail so spectacularly because the powers that be decided to allow Peckham to turn into a slum. Ample retail opportunities lay on the doorstep of ED along the once great Rye Lane but as I previously suggested, big chains just arnt interested in investing. And to be Frank, that is exactly why despite expressing an interest in ED, nothing has nor will come to fruition in the distant future!

Louisa.

Rye Lane was known as the golden mile. The rich and the celebrities used to shop there. There were also three big department stores: Jones & Higgins, Co-op and Holdrons. Sadly, part of Holdrons' located on the corner of Rye Lane and Bournemouth Road, is being knocked down. For those who don't know Holdrons it was owned between John Lewis and Selfridges.

You can still see where Marks & Spencer sign used to be when you stand opposite Argos and look up.