Waitrose or M&S TYPE supermarket - do we want one on LL?

I'd also like to welcome you back Louisa - I always enjoy your posts even if I don't always agree with everything you say and thanks to you and DD for the lovely photos.

I like Waitrose mainly because it is a nicer shopping experience than other supermarkets - the aisles tend to be wider and as already mentioned the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, however I am not sure of a suitable site in the area and am happy to go to Beckenham occasionally. M&S would not get my vote.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone know what is planned for

> the patch of derelict land next to Dulwich

> hospital?

xxxxxxx

It's going to be a community garden - see the thread in this section :)

Many thanks for your information about the possibility to order in Dulwich at Waitrose online.

I've had a look today at the Waitrose website, and Hip hip Hurray!!!! I've ordered my first basket for home delivery in Dulwich:))

bye bye Beckhenam trip :)

Thankyou for the warm welcome Cassius, it's been a long time but I'm happy to be back to talk about some of the issues that I find most interesting, and of course controversial!

Another site I had forgotten about, is the patch of open waste land along queens road next to the police station. Think it was a part of the north Peckham estate a few years back. Does anyone know who owns it and what is being built on it, if anything?

Louisa.

I rarely do my shopping with Waitrose these days as, like you charliecharlie, I too recognises the great range of food from the independents. There are lots of quality food about if you know what to look for rather than the brand name.

As for M & S their food is utter rubbish. Recently I bought their tender stem broccolli that tasted like cardboard. Their English muffins were soggy.

Of course supporting local is a good thing, but chains and independents can work well alongside one another. I for one love to shop in some of the smaller local shops from time to time, but I'm also a canny shopper and I like a bargain. It isn't always convenient nor desirable to do a weeks worth of shopping in multiple shops- it's time exhausting and frankly boring. The only further chains I'd like to see locally are Waitrose or M&S and maybe a zizzi or strada along LL. It isn't asking much really.

Louis.

http://woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/EdwardianPeckham.jpg

Above image linked to woolworths museum website.

Just a further trip down memory (rye) lane, boom boom! :-) this image is from 1912, Peckham was chosen as one of the very first F.W Woolworth stores in the country. I've also found some private photographs of Marks and Spencer inside and out in Peckham which I shall upload for those of you who want to see what Rye Lane was once like.

Louisa.

http://www.canvasstorehouse.com/image/interior_of_the_old_sainsbury_store_rye_lane_4943924.jpg?pvw=753&opt=55

A peak inside the window of one of the last ever counter service sainsbury's along Rye Lane, Peckham. Now Clarkes. All images Copyright ? PETER BROOKER / Rex Features

Louisa.

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/image/workers_in_the_sainsbury_store_rye_lane_4944032.jpg

Copyright ? PETER BROOKER / Rex Features taken from photos.rexfeatures.com

An interior shot of all employees, including management. I vividly remember going into this shop as a child with my mother, glad the shop front has been kept.

Louisa.

http://shop.rexfeatures.com/image/the_old_sainsbury_store_rye_lane_peckham_london_4944017.jpg

Copyright ? PETER BROOKER / Rex Features taken from

photo.rexfeatures.com

Finally an exterior shot of the sainsburys before it was eventually moved to a new site around the corner, and many years later moved from Peckham to ED.

Louisa.

Definite yes! I think the small shops will be fine as you can tell from the replies, they have a hard core base that won't leave them. As many people have mentioned, many in the area get deliveries from Ocado, so there is clearly a gap in the market here and need for an additional offering. I am guessing it is the large number of deliveries that has sparked interest from Waitrose in the first place...

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Another site I had forgotten about, is the patch

> of open waste land along queens road next to the

> police station. Think it was a part of the north

> Peckham estate a few years back. Does anyone know

> who owns it and what is being built on it, if

> anything?

The area you're referring to is called Wood Dene estate which have no connection to the former North Peckham Estate. They're too far apart. Anyway, I've heard Notting Hill Housing have signed a contract in December to build housing.