Waitrose or M&S TYPE supermarket - do we want one on LL?

Fuck Fortnum and Mason, their food hall's rubbish.

Give me Selfridges food hall, next door to Waitrose, next door to M&S Simply Food, and then maybe, finally, the too-lazy-to-cook and too-posh-to-eat-beans people will let this thread die.

• 2 weeks later...
It would be good to have a peoples super market in East Dulwich, they are opening a new branch in Homerton, Hackney. We need a food shop that sells local produce. Waitrose is better than M&S at local sourced food.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All up for replacing Foxtons with something

> useful.

totally agree with you, why does Foxtons need such a big footprint on the high street is beyond me. i shop at both Waitrose and M&S, but i'll have to say allowing them into ED is a bad idea, once they come theres no turning back, and you can kiss all the independents goodbye and say hello to a more "generic" high street.

NO!

whitepolarsnow Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> i shop at both Waitrose and M&S, but i'll have to

> say allowing them into ED is a bad idea, once they

> come theres no turning back, and you can kiss all

> the independents goodbye and say hello to a more

> "generic" high street.

>

> NO!

Why does a Waitrose or an M&S = goodbye to independents? In an ideal world one of them would replace the Co-op, which is itself a more "generic" store.

Why on earth, when we already have co-op and Franklin's farm shop, would anybody want a new shop which is best described as a mixture of the two?

Call me cynical (you wouldn't be the first), but I don't really get the concept of the People's Supermarket. People donate money to it AND volunteer their time, and still they struggle to make enough money to cover their overheads. Is this really sustainable?

• 1 month later...

East Dulwich is beautiful as it manages to cater for a variety of people from different demographics.

that said I wasn't too impressed with the Foxtons bold approach even though it was a well designed office.

The danger is if you allow one of these larger chains to open another store then it won't stop there and they will all come. Whilst it will be good business for M&S or waitrose, how will it affect those small shopkeepers who live in the area and provide a service that makes East Dulwich so versatile?

East Dulwich will then start to loose it's intimacy.

The resurgence of the shop keeper in the area is a joy and they need our local support. Sainsburys has done well where it is and I appreciate for what it gives interms of produce and the friendly staff. What will M&S bring to EAst Dulwich is my question. Looking forward it may be a good move but until I find the benefit of what M&S will bring to East Dulwich I'm not sure. I do think they should pay a heavy premium for the site, which may deter others from being too finincially orientated.

There's fat chance of any sort of supermarket since Foxton's grabed what would have been an ideal space for one. And what exactly do Foxton's bring to East Dulwich apart from yet another in a long line of estate agents along LL.