Northcross Market to open on Sundays?

There is a farmers' market at Dulwich College once a month, which has been running for some time. I think quite a few other similar markets also operate once a month.

It might make sense to hold a farmers' market once a month *and to ensure that the date was different to the surrounding area farmers' markets*. In other words, to have a cycle of local farmers' markets, where there is a different market to go to each weekend.

A once-a-month would also limit the impact on residents.

Alec John Moore Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd love there to be a farmer's market as part of

> any extension. I respect the residents' concerns

> about disturbance so I'd like to see some

> compromise between expansion and inconvenience.

A Farmers' Market sells locally produced goods to local people.

Where are there any Locally Produced goods in/near East Dulwich.

120 years ago Dulwich had many farms.

Today don't see many local farms.

Cannabis Farms maybe.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> A Farmers' Market sells locally produced goods to

> local people.

>

> Where are there any Locally Produced goods in/near

> East Dulwich.

> 120 years ago Dulwich had many farms.

>

> Today don't see many local farms.

For goodness sake, that is so restrictive. Even FARMA (National Farmers Retail and Markets association) who certify farmers markets interpret local as follows:-

Local is a defined as a radius from the market. A definition of 30 miles is ideal, up to 50 miles is acceptable for larger cities and coastal or remote towns and villages. And they suggest further could be allowable if there isn't a producer in that radius.

I reckon there will be plenty of farms in Kent, Surrey and Essex that would fall within a 50 mile radius of East Dulwich.

http://www.farmersmarkets.net/certification2.htm

exactly. we need to flaunt what we've got, and if that's commercial grade or high-THC grade cannabis, then so be it.

we could also use the woody off-cuts for hemp-style products and maybe even start a kibbutz.

source locally it could be easy on the environment.

How come we've got another thread about this ? we had one a couple of months ago didn?t we? Yes, here

I filled in the online questionnaire (from my work PC, so the IP address would not have been particularly local), and put comments on the original thread. I still think that an expansion on the Saturday would be good, and although I don?t live along the street/s affected, I?m not in favour of Sunday opening as it would negatively affect the very local residents. I hope that they get together and campaign against this.

However, I also wonder how economically viable it is. Will it be the same stall holders you have on a Saturday there, or a completely different group? We keep being told that there will be less disposable income this year, so will it really thrive?

If it does go ahead, then a once a month farmers market might be good. Trouble is, I?d never remember which weekend it was on, and I tend to do all my food shopping in the local shops on a Saturday so that I don?t have to think about it on a Sunday and can stay in bed in the morning!

Sounds like a wierd question but do you know if this farmers Market sells ostrich burgers? I'm on a mission to lose weight in the New Year and ostrich has less fat than fish and tastes amazing - nicer than a regular beef burger and HEALTHY!!! - result!

I used to eat them all the time when I lived in Nottingham as there was a Market every 3rd weekend of the month. The closest I've been able to find is Borough Market. It would be great to have something more local.

Yes it would great to be open on Sunday and a Farmers Market an fantastic addition. A good farmers markets can provide great value for money especially if you bargain hunt seasonal stuff - as you are missing out a big cooperate middle man. Ideal for the current climate.

A road closure would ideal - but I imagine a bit of problem for local car drivers. Would blocking the road for access only work? It is not really safe for ambling peds at the moment

henryb Wrote:

> Yes it would great to be open on Sunday and a

> Farmers Market an fantastic addition. A good

> farmers markets can provide great value for money

> especially if you bargain hunt seasonal stuff - as

> you are missing out a big cooperate middle man.

> Ideal for the current climate.

>

> A road closure would ideal - but I imagine a bit

> of problem for local car drivers. Would blocking

> the road for access only work?

It is not really

> safe for ambling peds at the moment

May I suggest that people walk on the Pavement and not in the road.

All the Stall are Pavement facing.

Has anyone else noticed that the stall at the Lordship Lane end of the market (I think it's the roast pork stall) seems to protrude more into the road than other stalls?

It's a nightmare driving down the road and trying to pass it with cars coming the other way turning the corner. And I've only got a tiny car!

I've submitted the attached email to all councillors (TO) and their reserve councillors (CC) who will decide at this Thursday 6 January full Licensing Committee + my ward colleagues Cllr Rosie Shimmell and Cllr Jonathan Mitchell about Northcross Road Market and plans to expand it and add Sunday opening and close Northcross Raod between Archdale Road and Lacon Road.

James Barber Wrote:

> plans to expand it and

> add Sunday opening and close Northcross Raod

> between Archdale Road and Lacon Road.

xxxxxxx

Lacon Road is opposite Ulverscroft Road.

Does that mean that cars coming up Ulverscroft Road towards North Cross Road will just be prevented from turning left at the junction, but will be able to turn right?

If so, as an Ulverscroft Road resident I don't have a problem with that.

It's outrageous that the road closure was not included as part of the consultation and I haven't heard or seen anything to suggest that the council have looked at the impact on parking or traffic flow. Being at the Northcross Rd end of Fellbrigg Rd I think parking will get even harder, with loads of cars turning round all the time. There should be a new consultation including the road closure and focusing on residents who will be immediately affected.

James,

I have emailed you separately but should like to record my views that,as a resident of North Cross Road, I am opposed to ANY changes to North Cross Road market without a full consultation with those people it impacts upon most i.e. the residents of North Cross Road and surrounding roads.

Hi Sue,

That would be my guess. But council officers have not told anyone about how this newly proposed road closure of Northcross Road between Archdale Roadn and Lacon Road is proposed to work.

Hi edanna,

I concur. When East Dulwich councillors were told about the proposed consultation we were told verbally and in writing that no plans to close any parts of Northcross Road. I can see merits to closing part of Northcross Road BUT this requirement to expand from 20 to 30 pitches should have been stated in the consultation and options around which bits of Northcross Road given. The whole thing feels shabby.

Hi nxjen,

Email recevied. Many thanks.

I agree with the changes and closure if necessary.

To talk about shabby though, can anything be done about the space at the back of Budgens and the sub station? The tatty mess of supermarket junk, London Electricity dump and slowly rotting Ford banger are horrible.

Surely this is a space that could be used more effectively - or at least screened off?

just a note to someone on the previous thread - I'm not suggesting that residents' parking (and metering otherwise) be used to fund the market, I'm suggesting that residents' parking would solve the problem of people who live in popular areas to park (ie the roads around LL near the station, and NCR on a Sat), not bieng able to park anywhere near their houses.

The residents' parking issue has been discussed before on here, and I believe there was a consultation on it.

If my memory serves, the vast majority of residents didn't want it.

I certainly don't, and I'm one of the people affected by people parking in my road to go to the market (and to go to the mosque on some days).

It's a mild annoyance if I can't park near my house, but that's all.