Northcross Market to open on Sundays?

i live 2 roads away from the station, and in the recent past I've had to park near the police station.

the issue of parking in East Dulwich has got worse and worse. i understand that many residents will be opposed - but they're also likely to be the ones who aren't affected in this way.

I live minutes away from the market and totally support an expansion and extension of dates, however I was really dissapointed when I was declined the pitch I applied for. As a local resident in the area for 12 years I feel we should be given priority for pitches rather than stall holders from outside the area.

I had a very successful stall on Northcote Road Market for years selling high end wine accessories, glasses and hampers but was told that someone else on Northcross Road is already selling these products. I think they have mis-understood the products we sell and am appealing to see if I can still get a pitch - check the products at GrapeThings and tell me what you think - good or bad!

husbandjim Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As a local

> resident in the area for 12 years I feel we should

> be given priority for pitches rather than stall

> holders from outside the area.

xxxxxxxx

I agree, other things being equal

xxxxxxxxxxxx

> I had a very successful stall on Northcote Road

> Market for years selling high end wine

> accessories, glasses and hampers but was told that

> someone else on Northcross Road is already selling

> these products.

xxxxxxxx

But there are hardly any shops on North Cross Road, how could they be? What shop? (ETA it could have been the one where Pretty Pregnant is now, which used to sell ethnic things - that had a few glasses etc?)

They have a greengrocery stall at the market sometimes, and there's a greengrocer in North Cross Road.

There are numerous shops selling bread just round the corner from North Cross Road, yet stalls selling bread are allowed.

There's a cheese stall, with the Cheese Block just round the corner.

So what actually are the rules applied when allocating stalls?

ETA: Sorry, just re-read your post and I see it doesn't specifically mention shops. But surely there has never been a stall in North Cross Road selling the type of products you sell?

Tonight 7pm at Southwark Town Hall (junction of Peckham Road with Vestry Road) the Licensing Committee will decide whether to increase the number of pitches, add Sunday 8am-4pm with 7am-8am set-up, and closing Northcross Road between Archdale Road and Lacon Road every Saturday and Sunday.

The public are welcomed at such meetings and I will be there as a ward councillor.

If anyone does pop along do say hi to me.

James Barber Wrote:

> Tonight 7pm at Southwark Town Hall (junction of

> Peckham Road with Vestry Road) the Licensing

> Committee will decide whether to increase the

> number of pitches, add Sunday 8am-4pm with 7am-8am

> set-up, and closing Northcross Road between

> Archdale Road and Lacon Road every Saturday and

> Sunday.

xxxxxxx

Why have residents in affected roads not been consulted about the closing of the road?

That's disgraceful.

How things change when I was employed by Southwark Borough Council the Town Hall was on the corner of Havil Street, next to St Giles Hospital.

It is not very helpful to give instructions to an infirm person to mention the opposite side of Peckham Road the main South East thoroughfare out of London.

It is not so long ago that I forget that the stalls were lined up from Lordship Lane in a constant line up to Fellbrigg Road, many when not in use were kept where the Electric Sub station is now, some were hired from a Coal Merchant in Whatley Road.

North Cross Road is reknown as a Street Market if it declines in its use, what next plough up Goose Green?

To replace stalls that were there once should not need plannining permission, as I see it was never altered to restrict any replacements.

I hope that the relevent standing Acts can be produced by our representitive, or any to give guidence to those on a Committee.

I regret that I cant be present but should I, my first question would be; "Could the Committtee please name themselves their position of representation, and what their qualifications are to be on this Committee?

You are the residents have your say.

Sue Wrote:

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Tonight 7pm at Southwark Town Hall (junction of

> > Peckham Road with Vestry Road) the Licensing

> > Committee will decide whether to increase the

> > number of pitches, add Sunday 8am-4pm with

> 7am-8am

> > set-up, and closing Northcross Road between

> > Archdale Road and Lacon Road every Saturday and

> > Sunday.

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> Why have residents in affected roads not been

> consulted about the closing of the road?

>

> That's disgraceful.

Surely you must have realised that business is King in ED ?

Time and time again, the needs of the residents have been placed second to the needs of rapacious business - local or otherwise

You want a vibrant LL, full of tat shops and vendors of bourgeois frippery, then you need to accept it will impact on the quality of your lives.

I'm sure NCR market is rather lovely if thats your thing - I have drifted past it on many occasions, though have yet to actually buy anything from the stalls.

Maybe not so noce if you have a 7AM wakeup on Sunday mornings & find you are unable to get out of your street until the evening.

Still, you cant make a delicious free range , organic, local farmer produced omlette withour breaking some eggs can you?

thats progress.

Business does indeed pay wages, taxes, fund development and investment.

It also funds salaries and therefore the purchasing of frippery, tat, as well as medecine & food.

Lets stop banging on about business being the big bad ogre when it really is the foundation on which all our petty little lives are built.

huncamunca Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > James Barber Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Tonight 7pm at Southwark Town Hall (junction

> of

> > > Peckham Road with Vestry Road) the Licensing

> > > Committee will decide whether to increase the

> > > number of pitches, add Sunday 8am-4pm with

> > 7am-8am

> > > set-up, and closing Northcross Road between

> > > Archdale Road and Lacon Road every Saturday

> and

> > > Sunday.

> >

> > xxxxxxx

> >

> > Why have residents in affected roads not been

> > consulted about the closing of the road?

> >

> > That's disgraceful.

>

> Surely you must have realised that business is

> King in ED ?

>

> Time and time again, the needs of the residents

> have been placed second to the needs of rapacious

> business - local or otherwise

>

> You want a vibrant LL, full of tat shops and

> vendors of bourgeois frippery, then you need to

> accept it will impact on the quality of your

> lives.

>

> I'm sure NCR market is rather lovely if thats your

> thing - I have drifted past it on many occasions,

> though have yet to actually buy anything from the

> stalls.

>

> Maybe not so noce if you have a 7AM wakeup on

> Sunday mornings & find you are unable to get out

> of your street until the evening.

>

> Still, you cant make a delicious free range ,

> organic, local farmer produced omlette withour

> breaking some eggs can you?

>

> thats progress.

Last night at the Licensing Committee - very helpfully 10 residents also came along - went better than I expected.

The committee helpfuly let me speak and two other residents who wished to.

To be honest I was really quite relieved how consensual the committee was and how patient they were listening to me speak for some time about the good and bad things currently and proposed (see attached).

It agreed that the market be expanded from 20 to 30 stalls.

It agreed to refer back to the Dulwich Community Council for its recommendations about:

- Sunday trading 10-4

- Saturday trading 10-4

- Should the market Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs be formally limited to 5 stalls.

- Where IF any parts of North Cross Road should be closed on market days.

- Views on traffic calming on North Cross Road.

We're not sure which Dulwich Community Council meeting will hear evidence from council markets officers, traders, shopkeepers and most importantly residents espeically those who live nearby. As soon as this is confirmed I'll let everyone know.

If anyone has any concerns or issues please email me so I can ensure everyone's voice is heard and the best possible recommendations are made by the DCC.

One very helpful observation is that without marked out areas traders arrive very early to nab the best positions and in the process cause avoidable noise in the area.

James Barber Wrote:

>

> One very helpful observation is that without

> marked out areas traders arrive very early to nab

> the best positions and in the process cause

> avoidable noise in the area.

Thank you for the feedback James. Glad that there is further work to be done before this gets approved.

With regard to marked out areas and traders arriving early to nab the best positions? one thing I find irritating is the bottleneck at the LL end of NCR, outside Budgens (or whatever it?s called these days). This is particularly bad when the hog roast is there, as you get lots of people queuing up and blocking the pavements, or just milling about (whereas the fishmonger doesn?t seem to cause quite such a jam). If people are allocated spots, maybe they could be moved a bit further down where there is more space for people to queue.

Personally, I quite like it when the stalls are in the same place each week, makes them easier to find.

From a very selfish personal perspective, I'd like to see the number of stalls increased and Sunday opening added. I can see that it would be necessary though to look at ways of mitigating the impact on residents living on North Cross itself and immediately adjacent streets.

I used to live practically on top of Petticoat Lane market and it was being woken by the noise of stallholders and market staff setting up early on a Sunday morning that aggravated me most of all. So, putting myself into the North Cross residents shoes for a moment, I think I'd ask that on Sunday the market shouldn't open before 11.00am with no set-up taking place before 10.30am - but that's just me of course. (Mind you, might be willing make an exception for one stallholder selling freshly baked crusty bread, croissants, muffins or other breakfast goodies...)

I think the idea of a farmers' market treads a bit close to the existing farmers' market at Dulwich College.

Decades ago when I spend alternate Saturday mornings trailing around Stockport market with my mum, there was a section dedicated to stalls selling things like dress patterns, dress fabrics, curtain fabrics, knitting wool, reconditioned sewing machines, zips and buttons, cane for basketry work, leather work supplies, rug making gear, picture framing materials and a bunch of other things that I've either forgotten or never properly understood in the first place. Given the austerity and make-do-and-mend flavour that the world seems to be taking on at the moment, maybe that would be a fresh angle to explore?

For the record, our postcode is SE22 9QH

Mrs Expat

I couldn't agree more with this. After moving to this area, the market has become one of the brilliant focal parts of the community. I think shutting the road and making it pedestrianised would be good as well. I also think that if it's extended, a farmers market style is good, but it doesn't make sense to restrict it to just food. I love all the independent furniture and clothes stalls. Let's keep the variety.

Just to add my support, I think the increase from 20 to 30 stalls is great news. I would also love to see a farmers market on Sundays - Lordship Lane on a Sunday lacks a bit of life and I'm sure this would help as it's bound to be a hit.

I do also sympathise with the concerns that some residents of North Cross Road have raised, and admit that these dont impact on me as I live a 10 minute walk away. However, the suggestion above that the Sunday market should start later in the morning is a good one - not many shoppers will be up and about before 10am on a Sunday morning anyway.

So this is The ED community spirit in action

1) yes We need more overpriced shite in the area

2) yes it will have a negative impact on peoples lives

3) No I dont live in the area that will be impacted

4) No I dont give a shit abou them if the truth be known

Well done. Now oughtnt you victims be scuttling off to join the Queue at the butchers & collect your Guardians ?

The changes to North Cross Road Market will be discussed in details with recommendations drawn by the Dulwich Community Council on 9 February 7pm at Christchurch hall (263 Barry Road).

If you have a view do come along to help us reach sensible conclusions.

Equally tell local East Dulwich councillors what you think:

Cllr [email protected]

Cllr [email protected]

Cllr [email protected]

Our recommendations I will then take to the next Licensing Committee.

Senor Chevalier Wrote:

> On Saturday, the North Cross Road market looked

> thinner than I remember having seen it before.

> Half a dozen stalls, 10 max I would say.

> Certainly nowhere near 20, let alone 30. If the

> increased capacity goes through, I hope it is

> taken up.

Yes, but isn't this often the case in late January? December will be a busy month for them, and I think quite a few take a break in January as people shop less once the sales are over. NCR and LL were quite generally on Saturday I noticed. Assume the weather was putting people off too.

James Barber Wrote:

> The changes to North Cross Road Market will be

> discussed in details with recommendations drawn by

> the Dulwich Community Council on 9 February 7pm at

> Christchurch hall (263 Barry Road).

>

> If you have a view do come along to help us reach

> sensible conclusions.

> Equally tell local East Dulwich councillors what

> you think:

> Cllr [email protected]

> Cllr [email protected]

> Cllr [email protected]

>

> Our recommendations I will then take to the next

> Licensing Committee.

xxxxxxx

So are those people living in the affected roads going to receive a formal invitation to give their views, or are you just assuming that they will look at this thread on an internet forum which they may not even know exists?

Sorry if that sounds rude, but if there is no intention to formally consult then I think that's really bad.

Hi Sue,

I've spoken to about 10 very close residents to Northcross Road Market and they tell me that they will be running a door to door petition against Sunday opening.

Seperately my Lib Dem colleagues and I will be leafletting the area & knocking on doors to talk to all residents, talkingg to traders and shop keepers about the community council making it recomemendations and inviting people to attend to give their views.