Northcross Market to open on Sundays?

Hi Sue,

They will all have received the council formal markets consultation. of the 2,000 questinoairres 89 were sent back.

Clear that this tiny reponse didn't catch the mood - especially as it didn't ask about closing any roads.

So local councillors plan to leaflet everyone including those roads and knock on all doors on Northcross, Nutfield, Archdale and Lacon and the NCR end of Fellbrigg.

Would you like to help?

Hi James,

I emailed you last week about not receiving a consultation (I'm a North Cross Road resident). I also asked if you had heard of any other residents who hadn't received one, but am yet to get a reply.

I don't understand where these 2,000 questionnaires have been sent, and like Sue I'm concerned about how many other residents might not have heard about the proposals because they aren't EDF users.

Glad to hear some action might be taken now - I look forward to my leaflet!

I too didnt receive a questionaire and live on the NCR end of Nutfield road, I love the market being there and more than happy for the market to be extended but have concerns over the closure of the road. Perhaps it should just be closed at the LL end so avoid through traffic and be made one way allowing residents able to leave?

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Sue,

> They will all have received the council formal

> markets consultation. of the 2,000 questinoairres

> 89 were sent back.

>

> Clear that this tiny reponse didn't catch the mood

> - especially as it didn't ask about closing any

> roads.

> So local councillors plan to leaflet everyone

> including those roads and knock on all doors on

> Northcross, Nutfield, Archdale and Lacon and the

> NCR end of Fellbrigg.

>

> Would you like to help?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am happy to deliver leaflets down my own road, Ulverscroft Road, which for some reason does not appear to have been mentioned although it will be affected.

I don't have time to do more than that, I'm afraid.

Ridgley Wrote:

> I find the market, over priced for what they are

> selling needs more variety

agreed - only ever used the Sparks van. Most of it is over-priced tat that could feature on the I saw you coming Enfield sketch.

We live on NCR and are happy for the market to be extended and the road closed. We don't mind parking around the corner instead. We like to take our guests to the market on Sat and would include Sun as beleive it to be a great focal point with lots of interesting stalls and merchandise. We were approached to sign the petition but declined to do so.

Hartvl Wrote:

> We live on NCR and are happy for the market to be

> extended and the road closed. We don't mind

> parking around the corner instead. We like to take

> our guests to the market on Sat and would include

> Sun as beleive it to be a great focal point with

> lots of interesting stalls and merchandise. We

> were approached to sign the petition but declined

> to do so.

Oh, You don't mind parking around the corner.

Well, I mind you parking around the corner.

As I live around the corner.

So I have to park around someone elses corner.

And they mind, because they will have to find another corner to park around.

Get the point. Chaos.

Keef Wrote:

> NIMBY!!!!!!!

>

> So what if you can't park right outside your

> bloody house.

You Miss the point.

At 4.00 there will be many cars out of place with drivers shuffling around.

With roads closed it is going to be madness with people trying to relocate their cars.

All this for a few market stalls.

It is just crazy.

If councillors are out canvassing opinions about North X Road, they should cover the bit of Crystal Palace Road near the junction with North X Road as well.

We received the original consultation and responded to it by Surveymonkey. We were intrigued by the presumption in the consultation doc that the extension to the market would be a good thing - add to the 'weekend vibe of ED' or some such tosh. We were never told about any follow-up meeting though.

Then last week I took a petition door to door to houses around the Crystal Palace Rd and North Cross Rd junction. The petition was organised by people living on Lacon Road who'd be directly affected by the proposed road closure (and it looks like Ulverscroft got missed out :'(.)

Based on a tiny sample of course, but some interesting results

about half the people I spoke to refused to sign the petition, the vast majority of these being younger people living in what I know to be private rented flats on NXRd itself.

every older person signed the petition, quoting quality of life issues (noise, disruption, traffic, parking etc) as their reasons. Most of these were long-term residents of houses on CPRd. Worth noting that the antis were resigned to the Saturday extension of the market - they just didn't want to put up with the same on a Sunday as well.

Not one of these people, pro or anti, knew about the Council meetings, James Barber. It does look like Southwark's set on pushing this through on the QT.

civilservant Wrote:

> Not one of these people, pro or anti, knew about

> the Council meetings, James Barber. It does look

> like Southwark's set on pushing this through on

> the QT.

xxxxxxx

That's what it looks like to me as well.

A minute's walk from the market, living in one of the roads affected, and I'd never have known a thing if I hadn't read the posts on this thread.

primadonut Wrote:

> Hiya Keef - what road are you on? Do you fancy

> hosting the market? Without even being asked your

> opinion?

>

> Hartvl - can I ask if you received the original

> consultation? Thanks!

But you're not hosting anything. A market happens on the public highway outside o your house. You have no ownership over that.

Keef Wrote:

> primadonut Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Hiya Keef - what road are you on? Do you fancy

> > hosting the market? Without even being asked

> your

> > opinion?

> >

> > Hartvl - can I ask if you received the original

> > consultation? Thanks!

>

>

> But you're not hosting anything. A market happens

> on the public highway outside o your house. You

> have no ownership over that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We're talking about residents' roads being wholly closed off (so they can't get in or out) or closed off at one end, apparently with virtually no formal publicity or consultation to/with all those affected.

Paragon Wrote:

agreed - only ever used the Sparks van. Most of it is over-priced tat that could feature on the I saw you coming Enfield sketch.

I am so glad that, I am not the only one who thinks this I don't feel it value for money defiantly over priced tat it remines me of the Armstrong & Miller sketch on Framers market on the link

Actually, ignore that, I was thinking of the area between Nutfield and Archdale. lacon would involve closing the end of Felbrigg (would've thought you'd still be okay to turn right out of Ulverscroft). Felbrigg has so many roads off of it though, that I still dont really see what the big deal is.

Having said everything I've said, I feel that I should explain my stand point. I think the curren market it absolutely shite. Agree completely with those who're saying it sells a load of old tat. I do however believe that the potential is there to make it something really cool. If it's just going to be more of the same, then I'm actually against any extension.

> I am so glad that, I am not the only one who

> thinks this I don't feel it value for money

> defiantly over priced tat it remines me of the

> Armstrong & Miller sketch on Framers market on the

> link

>

>

Ha ha, never seen that before. Saying that I am sucker for SMBS which sells expensive veg with dirt on. But at least you can buy what you want and not what someone tells is the right amount through packaging

Keef Wrote:

> But not Felbrigg and not Ulverscroft. Archdale has

> access to Lordship Lane, Crystal Palace Road, or

> East Dulwich Road, from the other end, so no big

> deal there.

xxxxxx

Both Fellbrigg and Ulverscroft will apparently be closed off at one end, meaning that residents will either have to reverse the length of the road or do a three point turn, probably with cars parked both sides of the road hence extremely difficult as the road is not that wide, to get out of their own roads.