Shock, horror, not buying a Phil n Teds!

D

Hi all,

I'd like your opinions as I'm buying a tandem buggy to use when my second baby is born in 3 months' time (older child will be 17 months). After a little looking around I had decided on a Phil and Teds - but then I saw in a forgotten corner of John Lewis the Safety First Duodeal tandem. I had a demo and was impressed. No seats to clip/unclip, back seat reclines fully for newborn, both seats can recline even when both occupied, seats are one behind another rather than one underneath the other like the P&T's, it is the same length and slightly narrower than the P&T's (although feels a bit longer as it doesn't taper at the front as it is a 4-wheeler), it folds without having to remove any seats, and it is ONLY ?139 new including raincover, no extra bits to have to buy.

Basically what I'm wondering is, what is the catch? It seems to have better features than the P&T's but has anyone out there actually used it and put it to the test?

Opinions gratefully received,

Debs

It's not a big name, that is probably the only reason. The big name prams and buggys are quite simply overpriced for what they are, but they get away with it because people want "the best" for their babies, especially first ones, so they spend a fortune on prams, thinking they're the best, when actually you can get just as good a lot cheaper.

Make sure the wheels are either solid rubber, or pram tires or it's a sprung frame otherwise, if it has mclaren type wheels, you'll ruin your back pushing it around. The older & heavier child tends to sit at the front making the force needed to get up & down curbs & round corners - unless its got moveable wheels - much more than usual & so much more damaging. I speak from bitter experience :(

I think I know the one you mean, and I think it's cheaper than a P+T or equivalent because like Keef said, it's not a known brand name and it's no-frills, really. Also not as aesthetically pleasing, some might say. We looked at that one too and it didn't have the options we liked in the p+t- different seating options (can put carseat on the top for a newborn if you want to turn it into a travel system) and can't convert into a single buggy in due course.

Safety First Duodeal tandem looks very long to me and I guess will be awkward to take corners etc.We bought P&T for ours boys and I love it even that I have used it 3 times for both of them,baby no 2 is full time in sling,but I use it for my toddler.Is easy to push,fits easily on the bus...My neighbour had a very similar(maybe even these same) buggy and few days ago I saw her pushing brand new,shiny P&T.So I wouldn't risk buying SFD if I will have money for P&T.I know they are pricey but they are worth every penny and are made to last.

I think it really depends on what your priorities are - it looks like a basic old school tandem - fantastic price and will do the job. I would really check out the weight issue - put your toddler in the front seat and try lifting it as if up a kerb or step. And wheel it round John Lewis with toddler in it and make sure you can take the corners. The p&t are super expensive but the weight distribution is great and as someone else said the bonus is they work just as well as a single buggy.

I LOVE this forum on baby centre for double buggy questions.

I don't want to be alarmist, but two models of Phil and Ted's were recalled in Canada and the US yesterday due to finger amputation risk.

Anyway, I think it's based on a handful of cases and not an epidemic or anything but if I had one I'd want to at least know about it, so thought I'd pass the info along.

Don't imagine they are in any hurry to recall the bazillions sold in the UK.

Edited to add: I was going to add a link so googled it, and discovered they were also recalled in 2008. Maybe not the same model though and it is ONLY two models. Sorry the url is too long for me to add tonight...... too lazy :-$

I am going out on a limb here (excuse the related recall pun) and will inevitably be shot down by saying I absolutely LOATHED, LOATHED, LOATHED the P&T. I found it extremely heavy (forget trying to get it into a car), clumsy (felt like I was pushing a loaded wayward supermarket trolley around), the tyres a right pain (e.g. found the front one had a habit of coming off the wheel frame), the handle height awkward for a tall person, and the brake difficult to operate (unless you had the calf muscles of a weight lifter). Also took up acres of space in the house.

On the plus side, my husband did manage to slice off a finger wart when collapsing the darn thing down one day. Having tried every wart remover remedy under the sun, the P&T came up trumps.

There is definitely an opportunity for a designer to create an aesthetically pleasing double buggy that ticks the above boxes. Because IMO there's nothing yet out there.

As someone has mentioned above, definitely experiment with weight before you buy. I think, in time, you'll really value maneuverability and lightness over trend-following.