Great food at the EDT!

MrBen

For what its worth I just wanted to say that after several years of visiting the upstairs restaurant at the EDT (with variable experiences) I had a truely great (well by pub standards) meal there last night. A great big sirloin steak. Rocket salad with that fruity thick balsamic vinegar and best of all a fresh very fruity summer crumble made with fresh berries that the chef had made that day - with custard! fantastic!

And great service from a lovely friendly smiley French waitress.

Its nice to go back to a place and find it going well again. I was told they will shortly be opening the restuarant every night for the winter after closing it during the week in the summer months. Except for the Thursdays when the comedy is on.

Hope they keep it up.

Sorry but any kitchen that uses a bastadized version of balsamic..ie creamy balsamic poured over fresh leaves needs their heads testing. This mutant-balsamic comes in giant containers from a very large food supplier.

Most of you moan about not wanting the high streets to look the same, come on think about it.

Hey Allfornun,

May I suggest that if you don't know what reduced balsamic is that you shouldn't comment on it. I don't know what 'fine establishments' you frequent, but you obviously haven't been served real reduced balsamic if you ate something creamy!

Reduced balsamic is used by the great chefs everywhere and consists of balsamic vinegar which has been reduced in a pan, nothing else. Be lucky mate.

Dear Kentucky Buckets - nothing to do with snobbery just bored of rubbish food served in variety of establishment in ED because the same people who wang on about keeping the Lordship Lane individual and eclectic are more than happy to eat bland food (supplied by the same mutinational frozen food supplier) at ridiculous prices. As for reducing poor quality balsamic in a pan and pouring it hot onto a cold salad, what great chefs are you drumsticks on about?

I tell you what bastadized is all about see, I never said nothing about the rest of the food at the EDT see, eaten there once 4 years ago see, just talking about black vinegar see, and when I have finished with these broads I will deal with you see.

ALLFORNUN in the Chandelier at high tea.

www.meredy.com/cagney/mcagneversteal.jpg

Hey BallsofFun,

Frozen national food supplier? Are you sure?

Listen, why don't you come down for a meal on me as you've not been in for 4 years?

I'll put a pint of reduced balsamic to one side for you (cold by the way chef).

May I suggest starting a petition to get Mr. Ramsay and all his colleagues to axe the vinegar as well?

PS- Hey Sean, glad you like the wings buddy! Hope to meet you soon!

At a minimum, the aging process can take up to twelve years for true balsamic vinegar which is legally labeled aceto balsamico tradizionale. The longer it is permitted to age, the higher the quality and price. Indeed, some balsamic vinegars, depending on age, can cost hundreds of dollars for a mere half cup! Less than 3,000 gallons of genuine balsamico are released each year. It is so highly prized that it is considered disgraceful to cook with it. Rather, connoisseurs profess that genuine balsamico should be enjoyed in its virgin form, untouched by heat, much like a fine aged whiskey.

Just some facts about balsamic to add to this threads flavour!

Dear Almurray,

Apologies for my comments about the balsamic, I did not intend to imply that you bought stuff in. I know the food is v good lots of people a very positive about. The EDT was the at the head of the wave of changes that have swept through ED over the years so again apologies.

keep up the good work

Forever yours.... ballsoffun!

got to say, we've been going to the upstairs at EDT for some time and were getting fed up with the same menu again and again. we went again on the 28/09/07 with freinds and had a ball. New menu, some new staff and good food. no complaints here, ok one tiny one, the bar area didn't seem to do cocktails which though I personally regard them as an abonination, seemed odd.

cheers

The EDT posts have normally been fairly clear that they work there.

While the menu is fairly small & static the food has ranged from acceptable to great. I've never had a problem with the service, which is always great & friendly. It may not be the fanciest place on LL, but I've never had cause to complain.

Disclaimer: posting this from EDT using their free wifi after finishing up some work.

Please to say that I dont work at the EDT.

I've just been there on and off for the past 4 years. Back when it was the only decent pub worth going to

And I suppose I've seen a few things come and go there.

And....SHOCK HORROR.... I happened to have a meal that I enjoyed there ALRIGHT???!!! :-)

As it was a bit indifferent before I just thought I'd share my experience. I am up for the comedy as well this thursday...