Books for precocious reader

Fuschia

I was going to say the Hardy Boys (and Nancy Drew) stories - I read dozens of them. Thought they might be girlie though - obviously not! Wonderful books!

Edited to add - I had my first massive crush on the Hardy Boys :-$:-$..

Not sure that's a great recommendation for an eight year old....

Ah, the Borrowers! Loved it. A lot of what I read was prob a bit too girly, but on Enid Blyton, there is also the adventure series - River of Adventure, Circus of Adventure etc - tend to be much thicker volumes than the famous five ones, I read them all. Also read a lot of Noel Streatfield at that age, but as I say perhaps too girly.

My nephew is that age and my MIL signed him up to the Puffin club, which he seems to enjoy.

DS2 is 9 and has just read 'Gregor - the underland chronicles' (5 books), the 'mysterious Benedict Society' (3 books)and something about 'Warrior Cats'. And his current favourite was Salman Rushdie 'Luka and the Fire of Life'.

Boy 1 used to adore almost anything by Michael Morpurgo, Boy 2 hates him.

Have a look at Cornelia Funke, she has some great books out for this age range.

Forgot about the Enid Blyton Adventure series as mentioned above - bought one for 8yo nephew for his birthday in September and he requested another for Christmas - this from the boy who is otherwise inundated with DS and ipods! He loved them...

• 3 months later...

Hello

I stumbled on this v useful thread and thought I would add a few more suggestions...

For kids who like fantasy, don't forget:

Ursula le Guin - Wizard of Earthsea

Alan Garner - The Weirdstone of Brisingamen, The Owl Service, Elidor, etc

Jonathan Stroud - Bartimaeus trilogy

Diana Wynne Jones - already mentioned, and she has lots of others which are much better than Howl's moving castle, e.g. The Ogre Downstairs, the Magicians of Caprona etc

And for animal lovers you just have to have:

Gerald Durrell - My Family and Other Animals, A Zoo in my Luggage, etc

James Herriot - lots

And for the lovely sentimental stories that you secretly go back and re-read as a grown up:

Paul Gallico - The Snow Goose, Jennie, The Small Miracle, Flowers for Mrs Harris, etc

Meindert de Jong - The Wheel on the School, The House of 60 Fathers

E Nesbitt - The Phoenix and the Carpet, Five Children and It, etc

And for older children ready for more mature books don't forget

Ian Serraillier - The Silver Sword

Robert Westall - The Machine Gunners

Makes me so nostalgic thinking about all these! I envy my kids, having all of this ahead of them. Looking forward to the reading years!

Aahh, my absolute favourite - the Silver Sword. And there is an exhibition at the Imperial War museum about this and other children's war books at mo.

Any suggestions for books for girls please?

My daughter loved:

Anne of Green Gables

Little Princess and Secret Garden by F Hodgeson Burnett

Railway Children

Tom's Midnight Garden and other books by Philipa Pearce

Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield

Hacker and Pig Heart Boy by Mallorie Blackman

Also

Clarice Bean series, Wimpy Kid series and anything by David Walliams

She adores anything by Michael Morpurgo but won't even touch Harry Potter. I think seeing the films have spoilt them for her.

Diana Wynne Jones - already mentioned, and she has lots of others which are much better than Howl's moving castle, e.g. The Ogre Downstairs, the Magicians of Caprona etc

Tale of time city.

If we're talking classics, why not The Children of the New Forest?

Hi Fuschia

Your son (and any 8 -9 year old) would love the Marvin Redpost series by Louis Sachar..and they're great for you to read too!http://www.amazon.co.uk/He-Girl-Marvin-Redpost/dp/1408801671/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305301997&sr=1-2

Happy to loan this title if you'd like.

Also, The Book Peeople have got a collection of ten Michael Morpurgo books for ?16.99.http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=196663&searchTerm=michael+morpurgo

(10% off today if you quote SUNSH1NE)

He's one of the Key Stage 2 must-reads, tho some will have to be put away for a year or two, but 'The Butterfly Lion' is a must. How lovely is it is to share books!!

• 1 month later...

I am such a children's book nerd. My recommendations are :

The Mortal Engines Quartet and Fever Crumb series- Philip Reeve. Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

Septimus heap series- Angie Sage

City of Ember Series- Jeanne DuPrau

The Wind Singer Trilogy- William Nicholson