Blue Traveller's Van parked in our street

They'll be parked up for a few days at a time, most probably. You can't just up and pop to the shops or whatever in your vehicle when living in a lorry because you have to get everything packed away to stop it crashing around. I'd imagine they do know someone locally, unless they have a chemical loo and are buying in their water. Out of interest, has no one said hello?

To be honest, I'd be peed off if anyone was running an engine for hours at a time outside my window, noise would get tedious, let alone fumes as the weather warms up and windows are opened. Are they running their engine while parked up? We never did but then we didn't run electrics.

I am fascinated at the path this post has taken, absolutely fascinated. You seem to think I am a Christian, curtain-twitching, Daily Mail reading, 'rich' & 'privileged' person. Well, surprises, I'm not. I just believe in justice & the same rules for all in terms of paying taxes & rent & mortgages. If you want to live in this country, and in London of all places, then I reckon you need to keep in check with this. If you are more free-spirited (which I DO NOT condone in the slightest - everyone to their own!!!), then maybe move to the country & enjoy the freedom of life.....but don't hop out of your caravan & into an expensive BMW to clock in at work. This is the one point that all you 'free spirits' have not picked up on. This guy is a 'champagne-traveller': obviously earning enough money for a nice car. So not so much the lentil-loving tree-hugger as you might think (and yes, I mean that ironically, because I love brown rice & lentils too, so don't use this against me!).

> but don't hop out of your caravan & into an expensive BMW to clock in at work. This is the one point that all you 'free spirits' have not picked up on.

> This guy is a 'champagne-traveller': obviously earning enough money for a nice car.

And when you actually get into the camper, it turns out to have several times the floor area of a tardis, and they've got three children, an au pair and a cat in there with them.

Ruby & Pearson, I feel your discomfort. How about an old fashioned approach - take a cake, knock on the door, introduce yourselves as residents & neighbours, then enquire as to how long they intend to stay in your road & whether they are indeed visiting someone? Have a chat - you'll probably feel a lot better about the situation once you've met them & have a clearer view of the circumstances of their 'visit'.

Oh I;m totally with KK on this.

I can kind of understand a problem with the constantly running engine but, rs, you seem really cross about this and beyond the practical annoyances you might be experiencing.

Goodness knows why they're there with their 2 vehicle audacity but you could have all kinds of stabs at their story. Who knows how they arrived at that situation - maybe it is choice or necessity. If it is necessity then there but for the grace of god go anyone of us and well done them for sorting themselves out.

How do you know they don\t pay taxes? And come to that there are all kinds of people who manage their lives and finances in such a way that they don't pay their fair share.

Surely there are bigger, more important things to be pissed off about when it comes to unfairness.

Why would you begrudge a person earning a salary and owning a nice car just because they choose to live in a different type of accommodation to you?

If you do choose to own or inhabit a building you must enter into the mortgage/rent/council tax set of responsibilities that come with it. Otherwise, you don't.

Living in or owning a building is not a prerequisite of domicile in this country, or in any of the cities therein.

If you work, you pay tax on those earnings, and if you own a car, it must be taxed. Otherwise you will be punished.

You are not prohibited by law from living in a vehicle.

Those are the rules, and are there to protect and benefit everyone, not just those of us lucky enough to own property.

It is no different in the countryside, the rules apply there too.

I'm loving that East Dulwich is well & truely full of hippies who hate fairness & justice, and love the traveller with the BMW (how do you justify his fake existence?). Unbelieveable - you guys need to get a life (& probably a job). I wish this guy on to your street & would love to see you offering cakes & bin bags (I quote) & being neighbourly & chatty. I'm not planning on being unfriendly in any way, but am not going to bake him cupcakes. And to bawdy-nan, yes, sure, there are greater , more important things in life, so if you think so, why snoop in on this post, get that life of yours. I am really sad that I am so misunderstood by you lot. Shame there haven't been any other reasonable posts on this thread other than from Pearson & ianr. A real tragedy.

Hmmm

I must say KidKruger has got a point there! THE bluevan was parked for a week b4 moving to Rodwell rd on Silvester Rd and they were harmless-no mess, no trouble and I know I know (Rubyshoes..?)that it's not... fair for us to pay tax bla bla..but

how ab. live and let live? Surely busybody, curtain twitching is overrated?

Just a little Lina's woffeling and nity nite

Ok Just b4 I go to bed. Surely Rubyshoes didn't try to patronise KidKruger by "asking" him ab his age? How is it relevant?

And KidKruger even if u 12 ( don't miss the point my fellow EDF inhabitants) I couldn't agree w u more-no offense Rubyshoes

but let it go...Dog's faeces surely are bigger inconvenience in our neighbourhood

thenk you and good night

I cant sleep -getting old i've been told...So there's some more of my woffeling! Oh KidKruger I must say I'm impressed by yr mobile curtain twitching idea! very

cunning indeed...I consider myself to be skilled curtain "twicher"(?) and I can see that you are a true professional..

U still didn't say how old are u? hmm

rubyshoes your last outburst I'll put down to fatigue or something, to give you benefit of the doubt !!

there's no infingement on 'fairness & justice' just because the 'hippie' doesn't walk down the road that you lay.

having a go at people for not agreeing with you is a serious rattle-out-of-the-pram disorder, no-one is obliged to go along with your running-down of your new neighbour. You can get help for that, though not down your street.

I would suggest quite strongly that the posters who contend your view do have 'lives' and 'jobs' in spades - it's sad that you think those who would contend you must be from low-earning / non-working lifestyles, I think that in itself demonstrates your reliance on stereotypes from heaven knows where (Daily Mail ?).

You need to crash-off those chains of short-sightedness and find out about the world where there are loads of really nice people who (amazing I know) are not carbon copies of yourself and your really advanced and self-satisfied lifestyle.

How is blue van man living a 'fake existence' ? If he blatantly gets out of his van into nis Beamer, what exactly is he faking ?

If I was a Rodwell Road resident I may think oh dear there's a fascist living in my road !!

It must have been dissapointing not to get the support you were looking for in bringing-up the subject of the "Rodwell Road undesirables invasion", but if you think about it that may be because there are other viewpoints and realities just as (or more, in this case) valid as yours. I know, hard one to grasp ain't it.

"I am really sad that I am so misunderstood by you lot. Shame there haven't been any other reasonable posts on this thread other than from Pearson & ianr. A real tragedy."

If this counts as a real tragedy in your world, it must be really tough being you.

RS - I barely dare stick my head above the parapet given the way this thread is going, but I do sympathise. I'd also be a bit peeved if some pikeys had set up camp outside my house. Hopefully they'll find this thread on their iPads one morning when they're nicking your wireless broadband and take the hint...

Senor Chevalier Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> RS - I barely dare stick my head above the parapet

> given the way this thread is going, but I do

> sympathise. I'd also be a bit peeved if some

> pikeys had set up camp outside my house.

> Hopefully they'll find this thread on their iPads

> one morning when they're nicking your wireless

> broadband and take the hint...

Was that meant to be funny? tbh you should've just kept your head under the parapet.

I'm with KK and others. Unless the van and occupants are causing a nuisance then what is the problem?

If you want to live in this country, and in London of all places.....

Who says you have to live in a house? You? You know nothing about the circumstances of these two people because you haven't bothered to ask them.....instead choosing to make assumptions like.....

This guy is a 'champagne-traveller': obviously earning enough money for a nice car.

It's this sort of ignorance that get's people's backs up.

rubyshoes, you seem to be a Daily Wail reader and general control freak who cannot keep your fingers out of other peoples' business.

Mein got. What are you proposing? Bringing back the g** chambers for alleged miscreants or summat?

Why not just leave people be? Why not have a good time and watch the ever-interesting world go by instead of interfering in the lives of others? Are they causing you any actual, actual aggro? Or do you feel you have to make people notice you through ridiculous pronouncements? (I notice quite a high proportion of moaning Minnie posts among the few you've made.) Why not see the positive, instead of the negative?

Signed

A local business owner and home owner, who does not employ moaning Minnies.

(No, not some hippy waster, as you seem to classify anyone who doesn't agree with you.)

aspidistra Wrote:

>

> Why not just leave people be? Why not have a good

> time and watch the ever-interesting world go by

> instead of interfering in the lives of others?

Yes, so get off my back & go and do something nice with the rest of your day. Who's the moaning Minnie now?

I haven't taken part in this thread all day, but it has gone nuts. You are calling me a narrow-minded control freak? Look at yourself maybe. I'm not the one ranting now.

Enjoy the weekend and be happy :)

rubyshoes Wrote:

> I'm loving that East Dulwich is well & truely full

> of hippies who hate fairness & justice, and love

> the traveller with the BMW (how do you justify his

> fake existence?). Unbelieveable - you guys need to

> get a life (& probably a job)..... get that life of

> yours. I am really sad that I am so misunderstood

> by you lot. Shame there haven't been any other

> reasonable posts on this thread other than from

> Pearson & ianr. A real tragedy.

xxxxxx

Going by this, I don't think any of "us lot" have actually misunderstood you.

It's quite clear where you're coming from. Unfortunately. Thank God you're not a neighbour of mine.

Why do you describe someone as having a "fake existence" just because they choose to live a different way to you? You have no idea what these people's circumstances are, in any case.

They have employment, they seem harmless, what is the problem? Looks like it is more about your standards, it certainly isn't a matter of law.

I seem to remember that living in vans wasn't so unusual the last time we had bad economic times.

Oh I'm in your side I'm just not good with with words... I don't think I wanted to believe that people were serious ab.this

"witch hunt"!!! I must be gullible then.."Blue van"(ooh) was park near my house a while ago and so what?I got people living nxt to me I think they called neighbors? so there

weird thread this. So people are genuinely suggesting anyone should be able to park up their van outside your house, on a residential street - where there are clearly no facilities for waste water, electricity, rubbish etc - and just live for a few days / weeks /months??

I'm far from a Daily Mail reader, but I would be a bit miffed if someone just decided to camp outside my house - in fact I'd probably not be going round with tea and cakes; I'd be banging on the side and rocking the van until they pushed off.

......or you could knock on their door, introduce yourself, ask how long they intend to stay, what their "story" is etc..

Or..yeah, on second thoughts, just start "banging on the side and rocking the van until they pushed off". Nice one.