Indian restaurants in Dulwich

vshah

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Seabag Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Do you have to be Indian to make a curry?

>

> Some halfwit will be along soon and claim anything

> else is 'cultural appropriation'.

Nah, I think Rendleharris H is in bed by now

Mind you, I'm sure Uncle Grim could turn this around, with a tale of a bath full of the stuff and 25 people living in the loft.

malumbu Wrote:

> Curry sauce and chips, in deed great.

This was a whole curry, not just sauce :))

Including the rice. With chips as well.

And very delicious it was too. Can't remember what the meat was, but there must have been meat, it was very unusual to be a vegetarian in those days. If you were, you probably had to have cheese salad or an omelette, assuming the student caff served such things ...... can't remember .....

Seabag Wrote:

> Loz Wrote:

> -----

> > Seabag Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Do you have to be Indian to make a curry?

> >

> > Some halfwit will be along soon and claim

> anything

> > else is 'cultural appropriation'.

>

>

> Nah, I think Rendleharris H is in bed by now

>

> Mind you, I'm sure Uncle Grim could turn this

> around, with a tale of a bath full of the stuff

> and 25 people living in the loft.

I do occasionally post things when I've had a good night out so perhaps I've forgotten, but can you show me a single post where I've said anything remotely like that please?

Sue Wrote:

> This was a whole curry, not just sauce :))

>

> Including the rice. With chips as well.

One of my first meals after arriving at University (up North) was curry, rice and chips. "Would you like half and half", they asked me. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, so I just said "yes please!". It was a surprise, but not a bad one.

I later realised that some Chinese takeaways were offering the same sort of deal... e.g. rice, chips, and some sort of "sweet and sour" concoction. That wasn't so great.

red devil Wrote:

> I like chips, and I like curry, but have always

> been put off by the look of them served together.

> Too much of a drunken evening reminder of the

> morning after to come...

Oh, RD. Curry and chips are just amazing after a long session.

Though avoid the Dutch version. That entirely misses the point. They should stick to Fritesaus.

Try a new concept - At Kitchen Skills you go and cook with others and take home what you cooked in specially provided containers. Great Indian Street Food class is perfect.

Eat what you in the garden - No alcohol license - but you bring your own and enjoy what you have cooked in the garden. Its fun - you meet new people and costs about the same as eating in a restaurant. 5 Minutes walk from Sydenham or Forest Hill Stations.

http://kitchenskills.co.uk/courses/indian-street-food-2/

Farah

India covers 3.287 million km so there is no such thing as typical Indian food. The cuisine of Kerala in the South is as different from that of Kolkata as Cottage Pie is from Paella.

There is a whole world of fabulous regional Indian cuisine beyond the familiar favourites of chicken tikka masala, rogan josh and butter naan, all of which can often be harder to find in India than in the UK.

Perceptions of Indian food are clouded by myths: for a start, not all regional food is ?spicy?; combinations of fresh ground, roasted and whole spices are common but not obligatory; and the inclusion of chilli is by no means compulsory, either. Lovers of the endorphin-releasing pleasure of seriously ?hot? chilli-infused cooking will be able to find new levels of challenge, while taste buds prone to milder delights will find that plenty of Indians have a similar preference.

Best Indian cooking of all is found in people?s homes, so any chance to experience this should be seized. Short of that, knowledge of what to look out for in each region of India ? and where to find it ? is imperative.

Farah

kitchenskill.co.uk

• 1 month later...

malumbu Wrote:

> No Chicken tikka masala or Kingfisher so clearly

> rubbish. I suppose I'd better try it out just to

> make sure.

>

> I expect that it will be good as Croydon blessed

> with interesting South Asian restaurants.

Got there in the end. Low key Indian family joint, really nice basics (dosas, veggie thalis), cheap, slightly disinterested service (need to be a little proactive). Whether worth trip to Croydon....maybe a sidetrip if going to eventual new Westfield, getting train to Gatwick or similar.

• 1 month later...

Ordered Jaflong a week ago, was beyond a joke. Food over an hour late (2 hours in total), arrived cold (like it was in a fridge), and pretty much just a few tubs of sauce arrived with no meat in it... a pidgeon from would?ve been left hungry.

Never ordering from there again. Contacted restaurant after and offered no form of refund.

Delivery driver was a nice bloke though.

shazza76 Wrote:

> Had a take away from Memsaab last night- very

> disappointing. The last 4 occasions we've had a

> take away the food has just got worse. We've had

> either Lamb madras, naga chicken, chicken madras,

> veggie korma, veggie dhansak, chicken and veggie

> biryanis, onion bhajis, samosas,

> The curries just seemed to be very watery with not

> much flavour. The naga chicken was a big favourite

> but now it's just so incredibly hot you can't

> really eat it. Yes, it's a hot dish with naga

> chillies but it's spoilt when ( it appears so much

> chilli is used) you can't even enjoy it. The

> biryanis seem very bland. Onion bhajis over

> fried -unable to eat.

> Not sure if they are so busy that the food is just

> rushed out.

>

> It's such a shame as when this restaurant first

> opened their food was delicious and fresh.

> Couldn't fault it.

This is interesting.

I have eaten at Memsaab several times and the food has always been good.

But a week or so back we had a takeaway from there and mine was very disappointing. I had a prawn Madras which as you say was really watery, and cucumber raitha which was a container of yoghurt with a few tiny slivers of cucumber on top. It took a very long time to come, too.

In future I think I will have to pre-plan and make my own raitha, as the last one I had (can't remember if it was eat in or takeaway) consisted of huge great chunks of cucumber!

I can't remember where that was from but I think it was Memsaab as well. One extreme to the other!

I think I will stick to their specials from now on.