Calton Ave/Dulwich Village junction

• 1 month later...
Only on here to moan at this latest update. I have to make a daily trip from East Dulwich to check on my elderly grandparents in Dulwich, in between childcare drop off and getting to work by 9am, then do it all in reverse at the end of the day. Without access to Court Lane and the extra traffic the closure will divert to other routes, this short trip could take 40mins. Gah, I am not looking forward to this.

@ LoulaRose, could an electric bike help? Can at least be walked through the roadworks (or ridden through the park), and being electric you don't get sweaty & can ride in a suit or work clothes - a friend of mine does ten miles on one in a suit, arrives without a hair out of place. Good ones are ?900 ish though, so may not be worth it for a short term solution.

Alexthecamel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I received that letter also Robert Poste's Child.

> It definitely says will be closed, with no mention

> of access for residents, does anyone have

> confirmation that that's the case?

Could you scan and post the letter on here or type out it's contents please?

Any idea what they're doing to actually close the whole road? (at least, I assume it's the whole road from DV right up to South Circ.)?

I managed to avoid the area by car last time I was in Dulwich but I did cycle through it early on Sunday morning and then later I was sitting outside Gail's and even at the time it was noticeably worse traffic than normal.

exdulwicher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Could you scan and post the letter on here or type

> out it's contents please?

> Any idea what they're doing to actually close the

> whole road? (at least, I assume it's the whole

> road from DV right up to South Circ.)?

>

The notice doesn't give any other details other than they're closing the road and the dates. However, looking back at the original schedule they circulated, it appears to relate only to the area alongside the old churchyard, ie literally the distance between the signs they have up.

What this appears to mean is that most of Court Lane will remain open and drivers going north may only realise once they reach the works, thus turning the side roads, particularly Dekker Road (guess where I live - already treated as something of a car park by parents and teachers at Dulwich Infants) into roadblocks as there's not enough room for two cars to pass on them. For five weeks, then two weeks off, then another three weeks. Unfortunately the planners/contractors either haven't foreseen this or don't give a 5hit about local residents enough to inform us or mnanage the issue.

Apologies to the Labour party canvassers who knocked on my door shortly after I received this, but (a) I'm plagued by noisy builders as well as angry drivers who think sounding their horn will change the traffic lights, (b) you were the second random caller in a few minutes and© don't ask me for my support again unless you can tell me you've done something to improve this.

While I appreciate that it is a massive inconvenience for those residents on the lower part of Calton Ave....I do think they should suspend parking on the part of Calton Ave below Woodwarde while they have Court Lane closed. Given teh volume of traffic that is likely to be coming along Woodwarde and Calton....if you can only fit one car at a time through we're going to have some serious problems. Juts look at when the tempoeray lights were back up on Calton a few weeks ago....as soon as you got a bus queuing to go from Alleyns through the village junction, the whole thing ground to a halt....