Bin Laden - dead

SCSB79

Ah yeah that good oooooold time olde fashioned drawn and quarter method.

Give me that one - any day - any week. Bring it on. Woo!

Jobsagoodun.

Seriously - bringing back 'HDQ' as I think we could retitle it (for the benefit of texters etc) would surely spell the end of AQ. They'd soon give-up any thought of strapping bombs to themselves, or flying aeroplanes into buildings and dying in a flaming ball of gasoline for a fanatical religious cause that means more to them than life itself - if we had HDQ on our side.

Worked for Queen Mary. She sure put an end to fanatical religious causes - with a little HDQ.

Ridgley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Very witty Willard. Will all the Conspiracy

> theorists be convinced once they show proof of his

> burial at sea or should they have put his head on

> a spike at the White House?

I have no idea how one would conduct a burial at sea but footage of someone, let's say, in a box, being lowered into the water is not sufficient proof is it? I'll pipe down when I get to see the capture on DVD (Un-Cut, Blue Ray version preferably). HMV would make a killing (excuse the pun).

While I applaud someone not believing something without proof, skepticism is a healthy trait in a historian especially with secondary sources, I'm not sure why someone would equally happily believe something based on no evidence whatsoever.

In fact far from keeping the idea of a bogeyman alive to justify the war on terror, OBL didn't really figure in any of the justification of invasions and dodgy alliances of the WoT, whilst his continued freedom just made the Bush administration look incompetent and indecisive (like they needed any help doing that). Bush would have killed (bad dam-tish) for the propaganda boost of getting his man just as he did his mission accomplished and 'we got him' over saddam.

If even reading between the lines it's unconvincing, so not sure from whence your certainty originates DJKQ.

Love all these people claiming he isn't dead/been dead for years etc. They found him, they killed him, they buried him in the sea - good day at the office for the special forces.

Sure these conspiracy theorists will be the same people who will be in uproar when a gruesome image of the damage done by two bullets to the head comes to light or begin complaining of brutality or injustice when a video of his execution comes to light.....

I really don't care when he died, if he died, or how he died, and I agree with MP that in all instances it's hard to see what benefit could be gained.

My view is that by propelling the myth that the bogeyman is still out there, it may have served to justify the Bush adminstration's prolonged presence in the region. Not saying that was the thinking but it certainly would fit in with the Neo-Conservative way of doing things.

Whereas Obama, no longer has any need for the bogeyman (or the military - if you want to assume they lie to the president sometimes) and can score some much needed popularity points at the same time.

Either way, and whatever the truth really is, thre is no overwhelming reason to think that the CIA or Americans are telling the truth all of the time (we know form history they don't) and the lack of any photographic proof, esp in this era of media overload is very suspicious indeed.

But you have to remember that when they published images of Uday Hussein after he had been shot dead there was outcry in Iraq. The US is rightly treating this as sensitively as possible. Killing him and dropping him in the sea might give ammunition to the conspiracy theorists but what else are they going to do with the body - there's not a country in the world that would want to have him buried on their soil.

Politically Bin Laden would have been worth a lot more dead to Bush than alive and I suspect he would be looking on at Obama enviously as the man who got him. Obama can rightfully claim mission accomplished.

The benefit of having him killed is that it creates a vacuum within the organisation and it removes the fund-raising figure-head. I can guarantee that counter-terrorism agencies around the world are picking up all sorts of chatter from terrorists vowing to avenge his death and potentially revealing their plans/identities.

There is no conspiracy. After months, maybe years, of meticulous planning and surveillance they took their chance. They had to make sure they had him, he had evaded capture/death at least a couple of times before (once during the Clinton era and before 9/11). I suspect that's why they sent in special forces rather than missiles as they needed definitive proof they had their man.

Agree that conspiracy theorists will make hay in the light of no 'absolute' evidence.. but so what. Let 'em. The current conspiracy theory list of Roswell, The moon landings, and Elvis living on Mars etc etc hardly makes theirs a force to be reckoned with.

Conspiracy theorists are also less likely to come from supposedly dangerous failed states intent on using such things to build support and do us harm - and more likely to come from Stoke, intent on drinking Cider, playing online computer games and wishing they had a girlfriend.

I don't want to see any photographs. Regardless of the practical purpose of displaying them, it can only serve to glorify OBL and degrade the purpose of doing away with him. It's not worth putting releasing them just for the benefit of half a dozen virgins from The Midlands.. or so that rootin' tootin' meatheads from South Caroliney can buzz around town in trucks on pumped-up wheels beating their chests and firing pistols into the air.

I very much doubt if anyone 'on the other side' is expecting to hear from him anytime ever.

Photograph would not be proof anyway - anyone could call it a fake for the slightest reason.

If the proof the CIA/USA used was DNA testing, then publish the results of the DNA test, if proof is REALLY needed.

Alternative, just wait for when OBL next makes a video commentary on the state of play / imbecility of the West

And the wonderful thing about conspiracy theorists is that no matter the weight of evidence presented to them to counter their arguments they will never be swayed. Let them go on believing the moon landings never happened, Diana was killed by MI6, the twin towers coming down was due to explosives, Bin Laden isn't dead/been dead for years/never really existed. As someone pointed out today on the radio if conspiracies were as prevalent as some people think then they would have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq!

As the Monkees said: Daydream Believers......

It would be idiotic, inflammatory and distasteful to publicly release photos of the body. What would be the point? He's gone, dead OR alive, there are still extremists out there and a picture of his body will be of no help whatsoever.