Desperate for a brilliant curry takeway - help

Frankito

Friday is my night for indluging in curry takeaway and recently, whilst 'trying something new' I have eaten some awful food. With that in mind, I would like some recommendations for some great takeaways in the area and also reasons why they are so great.

We had food from Ghandi (Barry Road I think) not so long ago and of the newbees it was by far superior: great tasty food and lots of it. Not the cheapest but I will always pay for quality.

(Adminmeister, don't dare move this as there is another thread in this genre on something similar...)

Frankito, I am mostly disappointed with the Indian takeaways in the area that I've tried, but I've found it's not that the food is poor, it's my palate. I did most of my curry eating apprenticeship in Birmingham and mainly there I'm told it's North Indian cuisine and of course Balti (which i am yet to taste an authentic one outside of Sparkbrook) here mostly south Indian, there's a surprising difference. Having said that, I have had a couple of belting chicken pathia's from Cinnamon in Forest Hill, good rich, spicy sour sauce with plenty of succulent chicken.

Frankito, for me it has to be Swadesh. I have tried most of the takeaways on LL and I keep going back to Swadesh. The dhansaks are spicy so if you like it hot (but not Vindaloo level), one I recommend. The biriyani's are pretty spicy but very tasty. However, more recently I have tried the Lamb Palak which is much milder in the heat department but I have never tasted such tender lamb before - it melts in your mouth. None of the dishes I have ever had there have been swimming in ghee or been bland. I guess I keep going back as I've only ever had good food from there.

I'll be interested in your final choice though. Happy curry night :)

Thanks for tge recommendations, I am now presented with a different diemma completely: which one do I try first....?

Bunny19, I hear you about you curry apprenticeship issues. I served mine in Glasgow and I have to say nothing down here is quite the same... My particular miss is Scottish style pakora...... Yummmm

Thats 3 for the 2 sisters in Nunhead. My housemate swears by them and I fancied a Ruby on Friday so took his recommendation and was impressed. Unlike a lot of other Indians they're food wasnt swimming in a pool of Ghee and there was no evidence of a generic cover all sauce. Fresh and great value. (tu)

The experience of the Curry Club is that there is little difference between any of the ED curry houses. Everybody has their own favourites. It is useful to remember that most "Indians" are run by Bangladeshi people and it is good to see that many are now providing food that reflects their own cultures rather than the traditional "Indish" fare scoffed by millions on a Saturday night.

Off the Lane, Ganapati of Belenden is very good and provides South Indian food with a regularly refreshed menu.

Swadesh is one of the newest on the Lane and does very well, Curry Cabin and the Mirash are my favourites.

Come along to the Curry Club and try them, we meet every month, usually on the 3rd week of the month. I bring the thread up a week or so beforehand and you can find it through the Search function.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The experience of the Curry Club is that there is

> little difference between any of the ED curry

> houses.

Are you including Tandoori Nights in that? It's always seemed a notch (or two) above the rest for me.

Am i alone in thinking Tandoori Night (whilst very very good) was also very very expensive?

I went there recently with some friends, shared all but ended up costing over ?40 a head for a very simple menu.

I had 1 beer, simple starter and a main?

Oh dear - after reading the recommendations above we also ordered from 2 sisters. The Dall was fantastic and.. well the rest was okay but no more. The Naga was a big disappointment - just a hot basic curry and nothing like the wonderfully hot and subtle naga from Jaflong (or even the slightly less sensational but good naga from Swadesh). The lamb (Kodu Wala) was tough - i mean really tough - in a bland oily sauce and the shallot rice was too greasy. other items were okay but forgettable. I will be back ordering from the jaflong next week.

Pearson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Am i alone in thinking Tandoori Night (whilst very

> very good) was also very very expensive?

>

> I went there recently with some friends, shared

> all but ended up costing over ?40 a head for a

> very simple menu.

> I had 1 beer, simple starter and a main?

Eh? Shome mistake, methinks. It's not cheap, but 40 quid a head?

One man's meat etc. If you do try Jaflong get their naga, a drier curry and hot but not scarily, the kind of heat you expect from a good jerk chicken if you know what I mean. It lingers but doesn't scar the inside of your cheeks.

I'm beginning to think the best take away would be a compilation of dishes from various restaurants. my choice:

Curry Cabin... 'Meat Samosa'

Swadesh... 'Treat for Two' starter

Ghandi... 'Captain Patilla' (sic)

Jaflong... 'Naga Chicken'

Two Sisters... 'Tarka Dall'

Anyone else care to offer their perfect take-away menus?

On consideraton this might be a good thread so i will copy/paste above and start a 'create your perfect take away menu' thread

• 2 weeks later...
We got a takeaway from Jaflong last weekend. We were REALLY disappointed. The Naga, the hot one, was essentially just chicken strips covered in Encona Hot Pepper Sauce - which I can rustle up at home. My search for a decent takeaway continues...

Wiggy, try Spice Republic top end of LL. We had our weekly treat from there last night and yummed it up. I went for the safe Chiken Tikka Masala and it was yum-tiddly. It's not the first takeaway I have had from there and I am a repeat customer so that is a good sign.

• 2 years later...