Deliveroo ?dark kitchen?, on Melborn Grove?

'Dark' kitchens.....sounds devious....

but in actual fact its collection of 'pop-up' kitchens of non-local, but popular restaurants, and its very clear when you order on deliveroo if you are ordering from a real local restaurant, or a deliveroo 'editions' kitchen....nothing dark, nothing underhanded...soemtimes the food from the 'editions' is good, and sometimes its not.....but there's no subterfuge as far as im aware....

Nope. It comes from a Guardian journalist. The Guardian have always questioned Deliveroo's employnent ethics. But Seabags "Deliveroo will "take over" an independent trader" rumour is like one of those "Uber will soon control our minds" stories. Usually created by someone on the wrong end of a disruptive business model. Im a big fan of the mighty Franklins but I doubt they were selling enough wood fired chickens anyway. They were ok but not a patch on The Signal in Forest Hill.

It basically means that when you're in business and the world is changing around you, possibly to your detriment,? you have a choice:? You can be reflective on your own strengths and weaknesses and adopt a positive/ proactive approach. Or remain passive, negative and reactive. And hope it will pass.

People make up all kinds of unsubstantiated rumours when they're in the latter camp.

Examples -

Back cab drivers: " Uber drivers are rapists, on illegal visas and only go untouched because their UK exec is mates with David Cameron".?

Rather than organising themselves better at union level. Or creating an app and commercial model much earlier. Or through smart lobbying for cheaper, cleaner vehicles. Or whatever.

Or...

The Lordship Lane coffee shop that didn't like how local internet publicised their poor service / attitude and tried to stop all online reviews with legal action. Everyone posting these reviews was mad they said and "The internet is damaging my business".? Rather than? engage positively with social channels, self reflect on their weaknesses and fix it.?

Etc etc? There are so many more examples.

This Deliveroo rumour that they've got some evil masterplan to steal the specific food concept / forumula created by skilled independent restaurants, replicate it - consistently and, critically, at the same quality? scale...just feels like sour grapes. Fear driven. And off the mark.?

People will still want to sit in decent independent restaurants to eat good food.

Lots of dishes will never travel well or lend themselves to Deliveroo.

Smart people realise the difference between something created locally on a small scale with great time skill and attention. Versus mass produced or reheated in a portacabin.

Deliveroo will not take over the world. And even if they did, someone else would pop up with an indie friendly alternative.

I'm not sure where you heard this rumour from Seabag. Is it possible that restaurant X's wood fired chicken concept? just didn't sell?? That's ok. Sometimes that happens. But don't blame Deliveroo. Reflect and try something else that does. Or stick to a great core business.

I doubt that Deliveroo is evil but I do not doubt that people, kidding themselves that they have the busiest lives to conceal a certain amount of laziness, don't quite appreciate what their actions may bring (eg. death of the high street; gig economy; job insecurity; keeping wages low due to "endless" supply of workers). Deliveroo etc. is providing a service but perhaps it is one that people never actually knew they "needed" until it came along.

HelBel65 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I ordered from Yoobi without realising it didn't

> come from the restaurant, thought quality was excellent.

The restaurant is in central London, which should be a giveaway! But (in all seriousness) glad you enjoyed it.

JohnL Wrote:

> If that is the case people will lose confidence in the whole concept.

>

> I'd think they'd make a huge effort to maintain quality.

Well they're trading on reputation, you're right. The original USP was restaurant quality food. They're still trying to maintain that illusion, while moving to mass-produced food, reheated in industrial estates, at premium prices. Endorsed by restaurants who are willing to have inferior food sold - for a huge markup - under their brand.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> HelBel65 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I ordered from Yoobi without realising it

> didn't

> > come from the restaurant, thought quality was

> excellent.

>

> The restaurant is in central London, which should

> be a giveaway! But (in all seriousness) glad you

> enjoyed it.

>

>

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If that is the case people will lose confidence

> in the whole concept.

> >

> > I'd think they'd make a huge effort to maintain

> quality.

>

> Well they're trading on reputation, you're right.

> The original USP was restaurant quality food.

> They're still trying to maintain that illusion,

> while moving to mass-produced food, reheated in

> industrial estates, at premium prices. Endorsed by

> restaurants who are willing to have inferior food

> sold - for a huge markup - under their brand.

Is it re-heated. My take was they employ cooks to the samestandard as a restaurant.

If they re-heat I abandon Deliveroo - they MUST know that many would.

A SWOT analysis would have a huge "Potential to destroy business" under the T

JohnL Wrote:

> Bottom line: If the food is quality - I'll buy it

> if price isn't exorbitant, if not I won't and will

> try something else.

Or

Bottom line: some people don't mind where there food comes from some people do.