Greenways Cycle route (Peckham Rye Common) Consultation

boosboss

I'm all for cycle lanes in the right place (I cycle to work from time to time) but this looks as though it will be on the pavement. There's a similar set up in Waterloo and the cyclists act as though they own strip. I'd hate for this to be the same thing particularly with school children and parents walking with children also useing this path.

downsouth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

but this looks as

though it will be on the pavement.

particularly with school children and

> parents walking with children also useing this

> path.

This path will be a shared footpath/cycle path (built on the common)and is in addition to the pavement running along the roadside. It is primarily for the use of the girls travelling to and from Waverley School, but not exclusive lol

In my experience of shared cycle lanes/pavements, pedestrians constantly wander over the designated cycle path making cyclists move onto pavement areas to avoid a collision, so its not just about "cyclists acting as though they own the strip".

Any new cycle lanes are a good thing in my view.

AllforNun Wrote:

> All for cycle lanes...

>

> How is this stuff made public ?

This was delivered through my door and to all parkside residents. I phoned and asked for an online copy to post here.

i'm always in favour of more cycle paths because my bike is my main mode of transport.

I agree with Asset, though, I think pedestrians need some training on sharing the pathways with cyclists, but I always think it's better for cyclists and pedestrians to share space than to force the cyclists to share with the cars, buses and trucks where any minor collision could end in a fatality instead of a few bruises.

Asset Wrote:

> would it be a new path built or would existing

> paths be altered to accomodate? There is no map

> but it sounds like it is going to be along an edge

> rather that across the middle. Can't be too

> disruptive along the edge.

It will be a new path on the inside of the treeline. The map is shown in a link on my second post.

There are existing paths which could be upgraded with less impact on the common, but they're indirect ie, Homestall Rd - Nightwalk- Car Park - Strakers Rd(Closed to traffic section)- Barry Rd exit - West to East Diagonal - East Dulwich Rd junction. But expecting anyone to do that route is unrealistic :(

Well, they would do that route if there was no other option. I think most cyclists will happily go a longer route to have a quieter and safer ride so maybe you should push for the existing paths to be adapted rather than a new path built.

It happened a few years ago in Kensington Gardens which never had cycle paths but then a couple of the major paths were adapted for cycles to share (after a lot of pushing by the LCC) and it works fine. I agree there are a lot of twits on bikes who show no regard for their surroundings but then that can be extrapolated to society in general can't it.

These shared foot/cycle paths generate confusion, both on the pavement in question and on pavements in general. Will there be that many girls cycling to the school? I think this is wishful thinking and a red herring. I rarely see schoolkids cycling anywhere, unless they are of the very posh variety or the very un-posh variety who tend to cycle mean and low and in term time, and use pedestrian crossings to cross from footpath to footpath. Nero

Asset Wrote:

> > so maybe you should push for the existing paths to

> be adapted rather than a new path built.

>

That's exactly what I've done in returning my questionnaire with comments attached :))

Aha Boosboss! I just started a thread in the Lounge as I got the papers today too. My thread's more about examples of money-wasting by Southwark Council. Anyway, my opinions are about the cycle lane proposal is that as a pedestrian I don't like sharing lanes with cyclists anymore than I do with cars. Cyclists are often arrogant as car drivers are. (No, not all of you!) I said that I think the existing pavement should be widened. Their wording was very unclear. I hate multiple choice questions but it makes passing exams easier...

Now I have realised that it is inside the treeline this seems a bit wrong.

The road itself is really bad, lots of fast moving traffic and a deathtrap of a zebra crossing, silly bollarded area type thing on the other side. Surely they need to address the road first. Obviously the road on the otherside (ED) is lovely and safe. Flashing 30mph sign, well marked, clean and painted zebra crossing, speed camera, new junction opposite the Hearn tavern, and a nice wide, newly laid pathway. On the otherside we have worn road markings, potholes, cracked tarmac and as i said a lethal zebra crossing that is generally used for kids to get into the park from the Peckham/Nunhead side, and pathway that thins out so much opposite the new flats you have to step onto the road to get past people at the busstop.

Obviously I would hate to mention this for fear of being accused of some delusional bias.....

But hey, maybe somebody thinks (hopes) people will object, or they will find some obscure rule about the park being a common, and then they can not build a tarmac biycle lane on it.

They would then have to spend the money somewhere else....mmm where would that be ?

Ah Alfornun has a new conspiracy to develop...

I actually agree with you about the state of the east side of Peckham Rye leading into Cheltenham road - it is used as a racing track by some cars.

But be careful proposing speed reducing measures on here - they make some posters very angry indeed.

Still there is one problem with your theory both sides of the park are in the same ward, Peckham Rye, and not in East Dulwich at all.

Ah but Alfornun they have only recently redone my road which is on the 'wrong' side of the common (and very nice the pavement is too) and I know my next door neighbour votes Labour - perhaps they are just not very good at this pork barrel politics lark... X

MMMM the you must live in the only road in Nunhead with a new tarmac road and block stone paving. Done 3+ years ago just before the last road of local elections, completely out of the blue and with no consultation. And if it is the road I am thinking of then it was in a pretty good state to begin with. No doubt the libyan's were targetting your ward.

Well only a guess?

Ps...can you explain pork barrel politics (meaning)...I was ejected from school fairly early on!

OOH OOH i have just been pm'ed by who shall remain nameless......."largest housing stock in Nunhead" "individual with a close association to the Liberal Party." comments about your road...

MMM sounds very very dodgy.....

There is always a grain of truth in every conspiracy x x Now join us and let's march east across the green !

The return date for responses has been extended until the end of November, please complete and return yours asap.

There are currently no plans by the council to consult further than the residents of Peckham Rye (East).

The shared cycle path will be a 3 metre wide tarmac road running the full length of the common!