homeless man in wheelchair living outside harvester pub

kibris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The more things you give him the longer he will

> stay there and not get help.

I can remember talking to him (I assume it was him, one legged Irishman, looks a bit like a refugee from The Dubliners?) and getting him something to eat near DKH Sainsbury's at least three or four years ago; he seems to be one of those who doesn't want "official" help and I doubt he would accept it whether or not anyone gave him anything "unofficially." Good on those who've helped him I say; refusing to help on the grounds that the authorities will then take care of him is a pretty dubious position in more than one aspect, in my opinion.

How do you help people .. and by that I mean permanently, what are their options for help.

There's a boy I've seen on the streets begging (first in Peckham then in Waterloo) for 5 years - someone had given him a bit of a beating too the last time I saw him (he claimed for no reason - but maybe he was pestering for money). Is there no "starter jobs" that can help people off the streets ?

Down in Brighton (it's warmer maybe) there are loads of people on the streets - they all seem to have their own patch.

'Starter jobs'? have you seen how hard it is for those under 24 and over 50 to find stable jobs? And how is someone supposed to hold down a job if they have no stable home? The rising levels of evictions show that everything is geting worse not better, and there is no government will whatsoever to take responsibilty for policy failings or to do something meaningful about any of it.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> 'Starter jobs'? have you seen how hard it is for

> those under 24 and over 50 to find stable jobs?

> And how is someone supposed to hold down a job if

> they have no stable home? The rising levels of

> evictions show that everything is geting worse not

> better, and there is no government will whatsoever

> to take responsibilty for policy failings or to do

> something meaningful about any of it.

By 'starter jobs' I meant something that would help them off the street too ( a sort of package - maybe I'm living in cloud cuckoo land). Certainly hasn't happened for the guy I see begging.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> 'Starter jobs'? have you seen how hard it is for

> those under 24 and over 50 to find stable jobs?

Being over 50 I take my age off everything now - and remove some of the telling stuff - luckily I'm still in an "in demand" area.

You hope that by the time you show up to a face to face interview you've bypassed the ageism

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> This iniative is no aimed at rough sleepers but

> some of the concerned people on this thread might

> consider donating

> https://www.wearebeam.org/

I'll look at that as my long term donation stopped my payment and gave me the impression I had died (actually they were a pretty good group to give money to - the letter they sent me was really funny):)

• 3 weeks later...

What an utterly bizarre sentiment, being concerned about one person doesn?t mean you?re not concerned about others.

People aren?t ?fascinated? by him. They?re worried about him. Because he?s homeless. And unwell. And has one leg. And it?s freezing. And the sparse shelter he?s made for himself has burnt down just after he?s had an operation.

Can anyone help, I went today to bring christmas dinner with my son who had brought a cracker to pull with him, when we got there roughly 4pm, his place was burnt out the door, tarpaulin gone, burnt duvets, so sad. No sign of his wheelchair, we spoke to him briefly yesterday gave him some crackers, drink and a few goodies and a christmas card which read stay safe.

I phone 101 and they werent able to help.

I just want to know he is safe.

Hi

I went to see him Christmas morning and take a parcel. Apparently when he came back Christmas eve he found his shelter had been on fire. The fire brigade attended and put out the fire, but all his belongings and bedding were either burnt or wet. Not sure whether it was done maliciously or by him accidentally, as he does smoke. His shelter is now exposed to the elements and the space is a mess. While I was there a couple arrived who seem to look after him. They were taking him to their home for Christmas dinner. Another person arrived with a chocolate Christmas log. Is there any handymen out there who could help him rebuild his shelter and provide tarpaulin? He also needs clothes and bedding.

Hi

I went to see him Christmas morning and take a parcel. Apparently when he came back Christmas eve he found his shelter had been on fire. The fire brigade attended and put out the fire, but all his belongings and bedding were either burnt or wet. Not sure whether it was done maliciously or by him accidentally, as he does smoke. His shelter is now exposed to the elements and the space is a mess. While I was there a couple arrived who seem to look after him. They were taking him to their home for Christmas dinner. Another person arrived with a chocolate Christmas log. Is there any handymen out there who could help him rebuild his shelter and provide tarpaulin? He also needs clothes and bedding.