homeless man in wheelchair living outside harvester pub

I went by this morning and I saw the gentleman and a mattress in front of him. I think his wheelchair was there too. There was a large security van on the pavement which said dogs on it - it looked like a security van and the gentleman seemed bewildered. I want to help but I am not sure how.

Many people are watching this thread with interest....

Unfortunately this gentlemans former home is now boarded up....

It seems there are many forumites who are concerned for his welfare, can one of you not give him a room in your family home?

Unfortunately I don't have the space to put him up.... I'm sure Some concerned person must have a spare room!

He doesn't have to be a lodger or pay rent..... He can live as part of your family!

Let's to something positive instead of discussing the situation on here....

The problem is sweetgirl that this man, from the sound of things, has problems with alcohol and possibly other mental health problems. He also needs to use a wheelchair. So it is not simply a case of giving him a room. He needs other support services and it is a lot for any individual or family to take on (especially if their home is not adapted for a wheelchair user). There are agencies that would prioritise him because of his disabilities and from posts above, it sounds as though he is known to them, but for some reason he is either rejecting the help they offer, or they are unable to help him.

Hi Sweetgirl

He has had places to live before from charity but he likes to be free some of the homeless prefer this they have there personal reasons for this he does have problems with alcohol

It's nice of you to think you would take a stranger into your home personally I could not do this it may sound harsh to you I give money to homeless charity who have the expertise on the homeless

Sadly there have been to many stories of people taking in homeless with tragic ending

I have given him food, bedding and chatted to him lots of times and he had many friends around the area hopefully he's ok

You have a one heart so never change

Gaynor

Sweetgirl, I believe you mean well but a family home with young children may not be the ideal place as Gaynor has said above. For families with grown up children living at home, there would have to be a joint agreement reached, if there was the room. There are struggles within families due to the housing crisis. I actually agree with hellosailor, it was easier for me when i was single and had a room to offer help than it would be after I had my family. I'm not meaning for you personally, I do not know you circumstances. Do you believe if you could, you would be able to overcome the changes to your life this would bring.

So I bumped into paldrow this morning, he's just been in kings. He had me push him up a very steep hill looking for a car that he wants to buy! His plan ia to live in an automatic car as it has heating etc... he's quite a character and he doesn't want to go into a hostel due to the conditions placed on them. To be honest, I'd be a heavy drinker if I were in that position. Anyway, we have arranged to meet this evening, not sure if he will turn up as he prob won't remember. I'm guessing he needs warm blankets for the time being. If anyone wants to help or donate some please get in touch or if anyone knows where the bin area is where he is apparently now sleeping do tell so stuff can be dropped off.

It would seem this man is wanting to help himself but just not in the way that society thinks he should.

Last night he was at 516 Lordship Lane (the modern block opposite the shops just north of pub), sleeping in the red brick communal bins hut just off the road, but he seems to be gone this evening, would have spoken to him if I'd caught him. It's a real shame they kicked him out of The Grove because he seemed to have a bunch of things in there like a gas hob which I bet he's lost, and he wasn't doing anyone any harm. It's all been boarded up with metal now.

He was thrown out of there in the middle of the night according to him. He's now back outside the grove on a mattress and some wet blankets and a bit of cupboard. Not sure what the answer is, he's stubborn, likes and appreciates help and attention. I guess all we can do as a community is look out for him and hope he survives the next few months. He's after an automatic camper van or car if any one knows any going......

I think I understood what Alice meant .

The guy in the wheelchair does not accept any help from the organisation ...Salvation Army? Is he a proud person ? want to be independent? I truly believe a person like him could have a warm place to stay .If he wanted .

If he have people giving stuff he will NEVER accept help from Organisation still living outside in his condition are not safe and healthy ...I think if you all people want to help him .Stop to give things and talk to him or bring him to one of this organisation who can give a warm and safe place to stay . He is sick,alcoholic and disabled .he really needs someone to look after him .

We have a lot of homeless that is why we support ,give money to charities and organisations .Do you ?

sabrina79 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think I understood what Alice meant .

>

> The guy in the wheelchair does not accept any help

> from the organisation ...Salvation Army? Is he a

> proud person ? want to be independent? I truly

> believe a person like him could have a warm place

> to stay .If he wanted .

> If he have people giving stuff he will NEVER

> accept help from Organisation still living outside

> in his condition are not safe and healthy ...I

> think if you all people want to help him .Stop to

> give things and talk to him or bring him to one of

> this organisation who can give a warm and safe

> place to stay . He is sick,alcoholic and disabled

> .he really needs someone to look after him .

> We have a lot of homeless that is why we support

> ,give money to charities and organisations .Do you

> ?

A) yes and I volunteer for a charity which supports them, DO YOU? (I'd never usually ask that question but as you're saying it to others...);

B) many people on here have been trying to help this individual with food, blankets etc etc. He doesn't want institutional help for a variety of reasons, also discussed. Some people don't. People are trying to do their best to help, it's not "pseudo helping behaviour." Sure, it would be great if he'd accept Sally Army or other help, but as he won't it's good to see the community doing what they can, I don't understand why this should engender such a negative response.

He is a proud man and doesn't want conventional help, he has his reasons and we have to respect that. At the same time, we should still care. He never asks for anything. No reason to close the thread. Just care about people. I asked him why he won't accept help on the usual way, he had his reasons and I understand. He is resourceful and I think he likes the support he gets from the people. Let's not judge. He has a massive heart, he has a daughter somewhere, we asked where she was, he pointed to his heart. He's another human equal to us, he has feelings just like we do. If you choose to not accept his lifestyle choice that's ok, just don't view this thread.