Any ED Twitchers?

Loz

before moving to ED 5 yrs ago I lived in SW9 and we had all the usual garden birds: Bluetits, great tits, wrens, a robin, blackbirds, starlings, greenfinches, chaffinches and even a jay but no sparrows, none at all, ever. Pleased to see sparrows visiting in ED and wonder where the cut-off point is as there seem to be fewer the closer to central London one gets.

I could swap you some sparrows for a blackbird that sings in the evening.

By the way, if the very very big tree on the corner of Cheltenham Rd and Stuart Rd is definitely dead, and it's certainly not looking very lively, doesn't that make it likely to fall over? I only ask because Southwark took down a very tiny cherry tree here not long ago that was only 9ft tall, saying that the Tree Officer had said it was sick and hence likely to topple on someone. That one wouldn't have done a lot of damage. Do they still have a Tree Officer, or are citizens to be trained to shout "Timber" instead?

• 2 weeks later...

We've had a goldcrest in the garden earlier this year as well as goldfinches (they love nyger seeds), blue tits, great tits and all the usual garden birds.

Have seen amazing spectacles on the Rye - flocks of paraqueets chasing off herons. Last year I saw a peregrine flying over and a month ago I to my amazement I saw a red kite flying over Therapia Road!

One Tree Hill is reliable for greater spotted woodpeckers and jays (quite common in se15 and se22) and I've heard green woodpeckers in Brenchley Gardens.

Meant to post this before and forgot!

On Saturday morning, I saw what appeared to be a flock of long-tailed tits flying into the trees next to Sainsbury's carpark (on the right hand side as you face Sainsbury's).

I've never seen long-tailed tits in ED before, though when I lived in Oundle I often used to get them coming down to my birdfeeder. I've also seen them in woods in Sussex.

Anyone else seen them about in ED, eg in the woods?

Hi Sue, I live on Kelvington Road, just down from One Tree Hill, which is a great spot for birdlife. There used to be a large apple tree down the bottom of our road which had a thriving congregation of long-tailed tits. Last year the house was sold and the new people cut the tree down :-( Now we just see them flying past. Apart from those sightings, I've also seen green woodpeckers hanging around on the bank behind the house, in Camberwell New Cemetery and on the Rye. I saw a black cap fairly recently near the footbridge by the Crematorium leading over to Crofton Park - pretty song.

In the garden, I get sparrows, dunnocks, wrens, parakeets, greenfinches, goldfinches, blue tits, great tits, coal tits (rarely), sparrow-hawks, mistle thrushes, blackbirds, chaffinches, greater spotted woodpeckers, magpies, crows - plus, bizarrely, the occasional heron hanging out on the hedge with a view to next door's goldfish.

Blackbirds will be down on the lawns when it rains listening for worms,but if you have decking you will hardly see any

if you have a bird table try putting some mealworms on it.they love them.

Soon come July most blackbirds will fly to woods etc as most birds go in moult this time of year.

Robins and blackbirds, and wrens will usually feed on the ground or occasionly off a bird table.

Woodpeckers love old rotting trees.

Planting berry type plants will always attract birds, Hawthorn, Holly,pyracanthus, cherry treees ,apple etc.

some birds get water from flower buds.or peck your vegtables too,I have a blackbird who likes grapes and chips.

All good.

Tarot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>I have a blackbird who likes grapes

> and chips.

> All good.

xxxxxx

Sounds like you have a blackbird likely to have an upset tum, Tarot :))