Long-standing newsagent up for sale :-(

The newsagent at 100 Lordship Lane (close to Curry Cabin) is up for sale. Times are tough for newsagents, particularly because of the decline in newspaper sales.

Lots of shops have closed on LL in recent years, but if this one closes it'll be the first one that I'll really miss. It's so handy to have a place round the corner for photocopying, magazine, envelopes, Oyster top up etc, and if the price of the stationery is sometimes higher than elsewhere, well it's worth those extra pennies for the convenience. The guys who run it have always been really helpful to me, too. If they have to close I wish them well, but I'd be delighted if their fortunes change and they stay in business.

How terribly sad for them. They are the only ones I know who sell a full range of envelopes. One of my corner shops has been owned by the same guy for a very long time (20+ yrs). They have had to move above the shop and sell their home and the business is costing them much more than it is earning them.

Would not like to see this shop close. It is not my 'local' but I use it frequently.

Seriously I think he ought to consider his retail floor (layout, stock presentation, overdiversity).

It is now overdue for a well thoughtout 'makeover'.

In no major sense has it changed for the past 20years except he has just kept piling in low volume low profit items to the detriment of good lines which do not sell because they are hidden by the obscure items.

Too muddled, too dark.

A makeover in his sense would not take further investment as such only thought and time to move around and make good what he has got.

Presentation Pleases Profit.

So Tony Rabbit, are you a local "Business Angel" who could help them revamp their shop? Assuming they wanted to, of course. What low margin items shouldn't they be selling, which high margin iterms should they be selling? Actually I'm reluctant to discuss this further online, but if there are local people who can help out shops like this by offering appropriate support then the community is all the better for it.

I deliberately was not specific on forum. Should they choose to take advice if I am introduced to them is a matter for them in confidence.

It is very common for small retailers to get stuck in a rut. You live in the shop all day and don't notice small things developing slowly over a period of time until the turnover declines and wonder why.

Step outside first and make comparisons with similar businesses that are successful and note what seems to be right as soon as you step inside. Walk back into your own business as a customer and sense what you 'feel'.

Take a deep breath and shake yourself by the scruff of the neck. It takes a lot to admit you've let things slip but if you don't, turnover will continue to decline to sub-critical and you've wasted 20 years of your life.

Quote Katy T, "who could help them revamp their shop? Assuming they wanted to, of course."

"Assuming they wanted to" - they have no option if they are to survive.

I strongly support local trading and shall make the community gesture if they so desire.

Its not just a case of the business not doing well for being the reason for selling up. Retirement is appealing at the moment and younger family members are wanting to move away from duties of the shop.

So it's not just a case of getting everybody to shop there will save it. Yes it's sad to see the business go but also heads up for providing such a useful and successful business for so many years.

:)-D

i'm not sure where some of you are getting this information from.... but theres a hell of alot more going on with that family than meets the eye!!!!!!

i won't go into their business but its not just the fact that its not making enough to stay open!

kalamitykel seems to have a bit of a better idea as to whats going on......

(sorry but i just had to say something!)

jimbo1964 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Without being too old skool I remember it when it

> was called Boults. Mr Boult who ran it also played

> a bit part in the classic 1950 war film Wooden

> Horse. I defy anyone to have better ED trivia than

> that.

Yes that is the best ED trivia ever!!! One of the best B&W films I saw as a kid!! Stood in the cinema in the Old Kent Road many years ago to see it - in those days you could stand, Health & Safety had not been invented then........