Brockwell Park Road Clearance

*edit: doesn't seem all that bad, and there are plenty of links provided below to ongoing debates and consultations. plus it lokos rather nice*

It seems Lambeth council want to bulldoze 1000 sq m of Brockwell Park to shove a road through it. There's a very short consultation period which has passed with almost no effort on the council's part.

These chaps know more about it than me, but surely bulldozing london parks is meant to be anathema, I'm a little shocked by this

http://www.brockwellpark.com/

This shows the area, which while not that dramatic, I can't help but think it's not only the thin end of the wedge, but indicative of a certain contempt of the residents by lambeth council.

Do lounge if too far down the road.

Not yet looked at the detail but that road is a bugger to drive through at any time of the day - a serious bottle neck if ever there was one! Five roads into one just don't go. I love Brockwell Park but provided they take a small pinch I won't be upset - it's twice as big as Dulwich Park.

Let's be realistic. The place is awful to drive through, mainly due to congestion. Getting rid of the dodgy toilets and a relatively small amount of park would be a good thing. The park is massive and can sustain a bit of a loss. Nero

I've read a bit more and I am wholeheartedly in support. Herne Hill central is a lovely area but it needs to be less boxed in and congested. This proposal will allow for wider pavements, part paved areas (far safer for all the children and families who go there) and will be far more attractive for investment. Being the closest area to W Dulwich I fully support this. The organisation dead set against this has before and after shots of the boundary = http://www.brockwellpark.com/herne_hill_junction.htm

The park is 128.5 acres = 500,000 square metres. They propose to remove 1,000. 1/500th is 0.2% absolutely infintesimal.

Obviously this should not set a precedent for encroachment but there is a real need to improve this bottle neck.

Amazing! Lambeth Council are actually encouraging traffic into the area, rather than what appears to be a national pastime of discouraging it! I wonder how many of those for this proposed land grab, would happily give up a percentage of their own front gardens to widen their roads and thus allow a better traffic flow. The demands on open/green spaces in London are at a premium and I don't think we can afford to lose any!

I think you're being somewhat naieve. Do you live in SE24/SE21 or SE27? If you did you would know that there is a clear need for this. As I mentioned this is 0.2% of the park's space. The parcel of land in question currently houses a set of dire toilets and is a meeting point for the local drunks. As a regular user of this park I am for it.

What they plan to do to Crystal Palace - now that's another story entirely.

I think it's an excellent idea and I'm all for it. The traffic flow around that part of Herne Hill has been bloody awful for decades. It's not like you will be losing much of the park anyway, just a bit of a snip around the main front gates and the old toilets.

I thought I never say this but I agree with Maurice.

Whilst I'm sure the people on that website do a great job in terms of the park and I totally applaud people who give up their free time for such causes, you've got to pick and chose your battles carefully so as not to undermine your credibility for the important issues.

That corner of BP is grotty and this looks alright. If anything, it might make the park more attractive; less congestion and a tidier exterior.