Intersection of Landcroft and Thompson Rds - all kicking off (June, 2011)

It seems the intersection of Landcroft and Thompson Rd is now the meeting place of the rudest, foulest and inconsiderate teenage chavs in the borough (I know I know...it's a bit 'Dear Daily Mail but please bare with me).

A neighbour could be heard remonstrating with them from her bedroom window to shut it and get to bed (it was well past 1am) and the cops were called). She was obviously told to f*ck up.

Now the problem is these lads are there every night at around that time (and obviously live on the road).

So my question is...what can be done to shift them (apart from actual proper parenting)? Are those 'high-pitched so only teenagers can here them' thingamajigs real???

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wonder if these youngsters are even aware that

> this was a place of a direct bomb hit on the

> houses in Landles Road

I doubt they can even spell "bomb".

Warning: the following suggestion will not immediately endear you to your neighbours (but if my experience is anything to judge by most of them might well thank you eventually).

I know this is going to enrage a few people so I nearly didn't post it, but on the other hand I was desperate enough to try it once upon a time and it pretty much worked.

Wagner or Beethoven played very very loudly until the miscreants give up and bugger off. (Or shut up and listen - either works for me in theory.) Philip Glass would probably be even more effective but I suspect that wouild consitute "cruel and unusual punishment" under the Geneva Convention and thus be highly illegal. Plus your neighbours would definitely never speak to you again.

Police advice would certainly not be to go out and talk to them. It is a complete fallacy that they don't understand other's needs and once they are acquainted with them, will jump at the opportunity to put their good little natures into practice. Rubbish. They are selfish little thugs probably brought up by equally selfish or inconsistent parents. Call the police and let them sort it out. They are paid to and have met vests. We don't.

I?m of the go out and talk to them camp. A few summers ago I had a small group of lads hanging around outside the front of my flat at all hours. They didn?t seem to have any concept of the noise they were making.

My neighbour went down lean out of the window and tell them to f-off route, whereupon she was greeted with abuse. When it got to about the 3rd night running, rather than laying in bed getting angry I actually got up and went to speak to them. Once I explained that they were keeping me awake and I have to be up early to go to work they couldn?t apologise enough and the problem went away. I still see a few of them now and they always stop for a chat. They have all grown up to be nice polite young men, not the thugs that many people believe the yoof of today are.

• 9 months later...

Notsodulwich Wrote:

> You know what you're 100% right! My poor excuse

> of a husband was dead asleep and didn't hear a

> thing.

Reading your post, I feel rather sorry for your husband really.

Did we not do the same when we where young teenagers.

The last thing we wanted to do was hang around at home.

Teenagers are just loud and hate authority.

Even if they are nice kids who are not causing trouble, they are loud

and there arn't that many places they can go to be out of noises way in London.

Talk to them nicely (maybe with another neighbour hidden way somewhere in case they are

the undesirable type, who can call the police at short notice)

Why Loz?

Loz Wrote:

> Notsodulwich Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > You know what you're 100% right! My poor

> excuse

> > of a husband was dead asleep and didn't hear a

> > thing.

>

> Reading your post, I feel rather sorry for your