Do you want Controlled Parking YES or NO

• 2 weeks later...
How about marking car distances, to encourage people not to park with 3/4 of a car length between them and the nearest vehicle. A bit of a 'nudge' to use the available space more efficiently. I reckon you could get several more cars on every street in Dulwich by doing just this.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How about marking car distances, to encourage

> people not to park with 3/4 of a car length

> between them and the nearest vehicle. A bit of a

> 'nudge' to use the available space more

> efficiently. I reckon you could get several more

> cars on every street in Dulwich by doing just

> this.

This.

I find the parking across two spaces very annoying too but marking them out can achieve the same result: I have a small car which is currently parked in front of an enormous car which is practically twice its size.

Every individual bay has to accommodate the longest cars plus manoevering space. A google search indicates a standard 4.8 M, which may be historical, along with individual parking meters. Cars are getting bigger. Wikipedia lists a load of family cars over 4.8M in length so bays installed now would need to be comfortably over 5M in length.

What if there is less than 10M Between adjacent dropped kerbs? Sorry, only room for 1 bay. Furthermore, while the Council is marking it out, they would certainly apply the 2M extensions to dropped kerbs. 5 + 2 + 2 = 9M. Less than 9M between dropped kerbs? sorry, no parking bay.

That is clearly the logic they apply in a CPZ. Double yellow lines everywhere.

Rahrahrah, are you sure that your strategy would be better than allowing most people to be co-operative?

I'm not suggesting meters, or any enforcement. Just that by marking out spaces, you encourage people to park tighter together. That's why I said 'nudge'. My road regularly has cars almost an extra car length apart from one another. If you marked spaces, I believe you would reduce the number of people doing this. Could always pilot it on one street and see what impact it has on behaviour.

singalto Wrote:

> I find the parking across two spaces very annoying

> too but marking them out can achieve the same

> result: I have a small car which is currently

> parked in front of an enormous car which is

> practically twice its size.

I regularly see two small cars taking up enough space for three big vehicles. There is always going to be some underutilisation of space, but by marking out regular spaces, I think over all you would see an increase in capacity across an entire street.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> I'm not suggesting meters, or any enforcement.

> Just that by marking out spaces, you encourage

> people to park tighter together. That's why I said

> 'nudge'. My road regularly has cars almost an

> extra car length apart from one another. If you

> marked spaces, I believe you would reduce the

> number of people doing this. Could always pilot it

> on one street and see what impact it has on

> behaviour.

When the Grove Vale CPZ was proposed a number of years ago, it became clear even from Southwark's plans that marked out parking bays and double yellow lines would reduce the parking capacity of the zone sufficiently to create greater pressure on residents' parking even without any additional visitor parking. That was one among several reasons why I was very much against it.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> When the Grove Vale CPZ was proposed a number of

> years ago, it became clear even from Southwark's

> plans that marked out parking bays and double

> yellow lines would reduce the parking capacity of

> the zone sufficiently to create greater pressure

> on residents' parking even without any additional

> visitor parking. That was one among several

> reasons why I was very much against it.

I think that the reduction in spaces was a function of introducing pay and display bays and extending double yellows plus plans to restrict other parts of streets - e.g. with single yellows. It?s not connected to what rahrahrah is taking about which is just demarcating whatever legal parking space there is into car sized blocks. E.g. like the car parking lines in Crystal Palace sports center. There is no enforcement, it just encourages - nudges - people to park considerately. I?ve seen it put to very good effect in Australia.

RadLuke Wrote:

> NO - the free parking is one of the most

> convenient things about living aroundhere and it

> is never impossible to find a space, even if

> sometimes you do have a little walk.

^this

rahrahrah Wrote:

> RadLuke Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > NO - the free parking is one of the most

> > convenient things about living aroundhere and

> it

> > is never impossible to find a space, even if

> > sometimes you do have a little walk.

>

> ^this

Agreed

johnie Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> -----

> > RadLuke Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > NO - the free parking is one of the most

> > > convenient things about living aroundhere and

> > it

> > > is never impossible to find a space, even if

> > > sometimes you do have a little walk.

> >

> > ^this

>

> Agreed

Agreed, too.

• 2 weeks later...

kford Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> -----

> > How about marking car distances, to encourage

> > people not to park with 3/4 of a car length

> > between them and the nearest vehicle. A bit of

> a

> > 'nudge' to use the available space more

> > efficiently. I reckon you could get several

> more

> > cars on every street in Dulwich by doing just

> > this.

>

> This.

How about ignoring CPZ and instead having signs in the area encouraging people to park closely together for the consideration of others seeking space.

The thing about parking close together is that cars come in so many lengths so, at the moment it looks as though my car is parked across two potential spaces as I squeezed my small car between a motorcycle and a huge old car. This morning, the bike and the big car have both gone and there is 3/4 of a car space between my car and the one that was parked on the other side of the bike. So ?bad parking? is not always to blame for spaces.

I agree, this can happen singalto. But its not always the case, we regularly see people parking inconsiderately, without thought for space being generally limited, but instead just so that's its easy for them to later move out of the bigger space they have utilised.

Outside my house I have space (between two driveways) for 2 'normal' sized cars or one SUV and one small car. They have to abut each other, but each has room to exit the parking space because of the driveway gaps (that is they don't have to leave manoeuvring space between them). Very often however a car will park in the middle of the space, taking thus 2 cars space for themselves.

Luckily my road is not badly parked up, but it still means that parking space is being wasted, and it shows drivers habitually do not try to make best use of space.

Parking between cars is not an easy manoeuvre when you are starting to drive - perhaps even more emphasis should be placed on it in teaching and test situations - the better and more confident you are at parking, the better use you will make of end-to-end parking spaces and the more efficient will be the general use of road-side parking spaces.