> driving in from miles away to take advantage of

> cheaper fares. The 'commuters' are far far more

> likely to be people who are a. working locally or

> b. only live half a mile away and are being a bit

> lazy.

>

> We are 7 mins walk from ED station and have

> parking spaces all day long.

I agree, this is a much more likely scenario.

Hi Blah Blah,

Yes, it is in terms of squeezing the door knocking we normally do over the year into 3 months. We're also getting a number of people previously against controlled parking saying with increased parking stress they've changed their minds.

Hi eastdulwichhenry,

I think everyone would agree with your sentiment that in an ideal world controlled parking in our area wouldn't be needed. Some think we're well past that point, other that it's bearable or not even a problem. Hence the survey to collected everyones points of view.

Hi TE44,

If a CPZ was in place it could have limited times of operation - Herne Hill CPZ operates noon-2pm, the Dog Kennel Hill scheme to be implemented after the election will run 11am-1pm - then residents could arrange for visitors outside those hours of operation. Or residents can buy one day visitor permits.

James you are really trying to make it all sound wonderful. Having previously lived in a cpz I can assure you it has no benefits apart from making Southwark council coffers to swell. For anyone who is under the illusion it will provide a parking space outside their front door it is a fallacy. Keep our roads free for all! Permits are a rip off? We already pay more than enough to park!

TE44 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James, Can you tell me where workmen/woman would

> park if you lived in a cpz in a non driving

> household. Thank you.

They could park for instance in the North Dulwich CPZ before 12 noon or after 2pm for free.

Between any hours the CPZ is in effect then there are plenty of pay-points in the area.

The council and housing associations do not give a time for repairs but they do ask if there is available parking. If this was a repair that needed quite a bit of material and tools, I can't see how that would work.

There are two time slots 8-1 or 1-6.

James surely tenants who don't drive wouldn't be expected to buy visitors permits for repair people. Do the council issue permits to contracters they employ and if so does this extend to housing association places in the borough.

Edited for typing error (phone)

EPB Wrote:

> ?They could park for instance in the North Dulwich

> CPZ before 12 noon or after 2pm for free.?

>

> - and between 12 noon and 2pm ......?

Your presumption being that everyone will be arou d to move their cars? I take public transport to work and would not either appreciate or want to spend my break running around playing musical parking spaces on a daily basis. Can I ask the opinions if those who are for permits if they have indeed lived in a cpz before and what they deem to be the benefits?

First we have extra long double yellow lines which reduce the number of parking spaces, then we have the prospect of CPR becoming a cycle highway with reduced parking spaces in spite of the vast majority of people asked said they didn?t want it and now the suggestion of a CPZ which would not help anybody park near their homes as all the displaced cars would be able to park in the side roads, being, I?m guessing, the owners of ?125 parking permit. Madness.

I understand concerns about the introduction of a CPZ- not least the cost. However there has to be a discussion about what to do about an increasingly difficult situation...

It is getting harder and harder to park around East Dulwich- in lots of different areas. I can easily be driving around for 20 minutes looking for somewhere to park... it's not just that there aren't any spaces on my street, but there are no spaces within a 10 minute walk, which with 2 young kids/ shopping etc makes things very difficult. (Let alone the environmental issue of driving round unnecessarily).

But it's also difficult for some local businesses. One hairdresser told me long standing clients are just going elsewhere because they can't deal with the parking situation.

Things have changed a lot here in recent years with more popular restaurants, shops which attract people from further afield with cars (eg M&S) and more people doing more building work with associated tradespeople. In many ways that's all great, but to simply say "no CPZ" without other suggestions of how to help increased parking congestion, there'll be no improvement.

So what might work instead?

Hi TE44,

Housing Associations and the council have tens of thousand of social housing in controlled parking zones so they must have cracked this one.

Hi singlto,

I campaigned to stop the crazy amount of double yellow lines installed. Originally it was going to be 10m from the apex of every corner but reduced a little to 7.5m. Annoying.

Thanks Luana.

Hi sahmatin,

I've not looked at the survey reponses so far and wont for a couple of weeks.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi TE44,

> Housing Associations and the council have tens of

> thousand of social housing in controlled parking

> zones so they must have cracked this one.

Less time to do the job in hand so they are rushed and incomplete. Results in secondary calls

to the local council at more cost. Private contractors just add the cost of the tickets to the final bill so we still get pay indirectly!

tortor Wrote:

> I understand concerns about the introduction of a

> CPZ- not least the cost. However there has to be a

> discussion about what to do about an increasingly

> difficult situation...

>

> It is getting harder and harder to park around

> East Dulwich- in lots of different areas. I can

> easily be driving around for 20 minutes looking

> for somewhere to park... it's not just that there

> aren't any spaces on my street, but there are no

> spaces within a 10 minute walk, which with 2 young

> kids/ shopping etc makes things very difficult.

> (Let alone the environmental issue of driving

> round unnecessarily).

>

> But it's also difficult for some local businesses.

> One hairdresser told me long standing clients are

> just going elsewhere because they can't deal with

> the parking situation.

>

> Things have changed a lot here in recent years

> with more popular restaurants, shops which attract

> people from further afield with cars (eg M&S) and

> more people doing more building work with

> associated tradespeople. In many ways that's all

> great, but to simply say "no CPZ" without other

> suggestions of how to help increased parking

> congestion, there'll be no improvement.

>

> So what might work instead?

Your point about M&S attracting people in cars from further afield noted. We were assured over and over again that people would not drive to M&S but would cycle or use public transport. Well guess what....

We are now being told CPZ will greatly improve the parking situation (in part created by those not listening to objections to the above and similar). Why would you believe it?

I went to a meeting about the new Harris primary school and raised the problem of parking. I was assured that parents and staff would be told that, to come to the school, they would have to walk, cycle or take the bus and that agreeing to this would be one of the requirements for getting a job/school place. I told the official at the meeting that it would never work. I was right. Double yellow lines and even zigzag lines do not deter parents from parking where they want and a CPZ would be ignored. I object strongly to a CPZ.