Do you want Controlled Parking YES or NO

@James - it seems you misunderstood Zak?s post. So I?ll ask it again in any unambiguous way:

Why have you added to a survey, about a specific issue, questions which prima facie are about voting intention and contact details? I filled this in, with fictional details, and I could not tell easily which questions were optional.

James, this is not a council survey, it is your political party survey. And it is at best random. A council led consultation would consult with every household within a proposed CPZ area. Your survey is designed for identifying residents that might support your political agenda, nothing more.

Hi Blah Blah,

Precisely. This is a survey to find our who wants and does not want controlled parking. As things stand the council is registering ONLY those that want controlled parking. When it reaches a critical number it will spend tens of thousands of pounds conducting a public consultation that will then find out those for and against.

As stated my survey is a temperature check to see if the balance of local resident want or do not want controlled parking - potentially averting a large waste of public money.

Hi Curmudgeon,

As stated previously, it will be signed posted in the next SE22 magazine, here, tweets, emails, etc.

Hi mikeb,

We ask those questions - optionally as on this survey - in every survey we do. It would be perverse the one time I don't ask these questions near an election.

Hi spider69,

I was tired last night - the council web page about the Dog Kennel Hill controlled Parking Zone decided to proceed earlier this year and to be implemented summer '18 -https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjC9Ouxt4naAhVNDewKHVgVCNsQFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fconsultations.southwark.gov.uk%2Fenvironment-leisure%2Fdogkennelhill%2F&usg=AOvVaw2ZfVka86PpdBjL-k_6ldvY

15% response ratite the public consultation. 49% of that 15% in favour, 36% against. 10 streets with less than 10% response rate of residents.

?We ask those questions - optionally as on this survey - in every survey we do.?

Times are changing James and we?re all getting a lot more savvy about how responses to these seemingly innocuous questions are used. You don?t appear sensitive to that. The least you could do is to make it clearer on the survey that questions regarding phone, email, year of birth and voting preferences are optional, like actually stating ?this question is optional? rather than just the absence of an asterisk.

ETA. Regarding your stated aims for conducting the survey, should the council receive enough requests to consider a CPZ, it is most unlikely they would cut corners by relying on data from an ad hoc LibDem survey rather than go through the whole process of a consultation, especially as the responses are from the whole of ED rather than the few streets that may be the subject of a potential CPZ. They would be open to challenge if a decision was made without a full consultation.

Hi spider69,

I was tired last night - the council web page about the Dog Kennel Hill controlled Parking Zone decided to proceed earlier this year and to be implemented summer '18 -[www.google.co.uk]

15% response ratite the public consultation. 49% of that 15% in favour, 36% against. 10 streets with less than 10% response rate of residents.

--------------------

Regards [email protected]

07900 227366

Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward

[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]

[twitter.com]

15% response rate. But how many streets were under 10% and did not want one but are included because Southwark wants to implement a CPZ so they have to be included. Why 15% and not 30/40/50% again Southwark's figure.

As mentioned if some streets want it the others must accept that this will push traffic into other streets so Southwark will do it to "EASE" parking stress.

We will have to accept one because traffic is being pushed into our street/s but we are being told what we must have not what we voted for.

I?m going to put my head above the parapet: yes we do. Parking near the station during the week is impossible and with 3 small children parking a few streets away and dragging them across busy roads is dangerous. Sorry to people who like the convenience of parking right by the station but I also like the convenience of parking within a reasonable distance of my house (not right outside, that is not what I?m talking about). If all these cars are for shoppers on Lordship Lane then I shouldn?t be able to park on a Saturday, but Saturdays are fine for parking, therefore I presume they are Mon-Fri commuters. Surely there is a distance for which a CPZ could be put in place that would deter people from driving to the station, and therefore not displace that parking to other roads? The roads around the station have a different stress to other roads in ED due to the station, so whilst a CPZ might not be appropriate in other areas, I believe it is right next to the station otherwise we are just a station car park to the benefit of neither the local residents nor the local businesses. Yes some of these people might be commuting to ED rather than through ED but if that?s the case why do they need to park right by the station? The simpler explanation is that the majority of cars parking right by the station are using that station.

I think there is always going to be more parking pressure on roads near to a train station. If commuters are to blame then there needs to be a way of preventing them from parking other than a CPZ. By introducing a CPZ on roads near to the station we are simply going to be pushing that pressure onto neighbouring roads and eventually we end up with all roads in ED having controlled parking. This is not fair on 80% of residents who don't have issues parking. You could argue that if you live very close to a train station, as you do, then you are lucky. You have great access to public transport and central London. You can walk to the station in a couple of minutes. You can walk to Lordship Lane high street easily. Residents who live further out from the station and high street don't have these benefits but understandably have less difficulty parking. You can't have it all.

Totally agree with this.

sputnick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think there is always going to be more parking

> pressure on roads near to a train station. If

> commuters are to blame then there needs to be a

> way of preventing them from parking other than a

> CPZ. By introducing a CPZ on roads near to the

> station we are simply going to be pushing that

> pressure onto neighbouring roads and eventually we

> end up with all roads in ED having controlled

> parking. This is not fair on 80% of residents who

> don't have issues parking. You could argue that if

> you live very close to a train station, as you do,

> then you are lucky. You have great access to

> public transport and central London. You can walk

> to the station in a couple of minutes. You can

> walk to Lordship Lane high street easily.

> Residents who live further out from the station

> and high street don't have these benefits but

> understandably have less difficulty parking. You

> can't have it all.

Galileo Wrote:

> Surely there is a distance for which a CPZ could be put in

> place that would deter people from driving to the

> station, and therefore not displace that parking

> to other roads?

Exactly.

But isn?t there a point where the CPZ could be set to where most of the commuters no longer benefit from driving and then still walking, say, 10 minutes to the station which has the effect that they walk or use public transport. Those cars don?t necessarily just park on the periphery of the CPZ, it actually changes behaviour. Such a change would benefit us all with reduced car usage and thereby reduced pollution and congestion.

The way forward surely would be to try and negotiate with Sainsbury's that part of their car park be sectioned off as a general car park with daily or hourly charges. I am thinking the part near where all the recycling bins used to be - whenever I go to Sainsburys - I see very few cars parked down that end. Commutors could be encouraged to park here.

CPZ - can understand the need for this - my daughter used to live near Worthing station and when not working had to remember to move her care else where between 12 - 2 pm as the CPZ came into force Mon - Friday during those times

Pugwash Wrote:

> The way forward surely would be to try and

> negotiate with Sainsbury's that part of their car

> park be sectioned off as a general car park with

> daily or hourly charges. I am thinking the part

> near where all the recycling bins used to be -

> whenever I go to Sainsburys - I see very few cars

> parked down that end. Commutors could be

> encouraged to park here.

That actually seems a great idea - James Barber?

It is a great idea but I can?t help wondering if part of the planning permission deal granted back in the early 1990s was that so many customer car parking spaces had to be provided on site to prevent on street parking. I must say that while at times it doesn?t seem fully utilised, equally I?ve seen it when it?s been full.

Having lived in a small road very near east dulwich station for nearly 20 years. I really don't think many of the cars do belong to commuters , first come the teachers then the people who run the shops on grove vale then all the guys from the timber yard the odd estate agent from lordship lane add all the people living in flats along east dulwich grove and the people who live here on the road and yes it's full.When mr Barber tried to push cpz last time,i was told that they would paint white line boxes down the whole street even if you have off street parking i said that would lead people to think they could park anywhere in that box with a permit even in front of driveways . The answer to that was to double yellow all the driveways which I think will lead to even less space.Every area/street has different pressures, but I do want the shops on grove vale to survive and I think a cpz will hurt them without making much of a difference

Yes to CPZ near station, no to CPZ around Lordship Lane as free parking in that area probably contributes to LL's buzz.

Designing surveys is tricky as they are susceptible to bias, and the way questions are phrased strongly affects the results. I think there are some flaws in this one, particularly in the following question:

http://i65.tinypic.com/dmpvrk.png

Firstly, there are three options to answer no and two options to answer yes, which obviously biases the outcome towards no.

Secondly (and related to the point above), the response "I really don't want this" isn't distinct from the following two options.

Thirdly, the question is phrased in a manner that implies residents in a CPZ will have to pay the ?125 charge. Not so. In the St Francis estate, for instance, all residents have off-street parking so nobody has to pay for the permit. That may partly account for the results of the CPZ survey in that area.

Finally, "I could not afford ?125.." I'm not sure many people would want to admit, even to themselves, that their financial situation is so weak. Would be better to phrase this in a way that makes no implied judgment, e.g. "I do not want to pay for a ?125 permit..."

I really don't know how I feel about this.

Abbottswood rd and surrounding is jam packed with commuters all wk and empty on a weekend. The issue isn't necessarily the cars but how they park. Over dropped curbs, on corners etc. Its a total pain when you're in wheelchair or mobility scooter or just trying to cross the road with kids/prams etc.

East Dulwich rd is a nightmare if you live there. Constantly having to park 2 streets away or driving around in circles waiting for a space isn't fun at all

..but at the same time I always feel a little sense of pride telling folk we don't have controlled parking in ED!

Orange owl Wrote:

> Having lived in a small road very near east

> dulwich station for nearly 20 years. I really

> don't think many of the cars do belong to

> commuters , first come the teachers then the

> people who run the shops on grove vale then all

> the guys from the timber yard the odd estate agent

> from lordship lane add all the people living in

> flats along east dulwich grove and the people who

> live here on the road and yes it's full.When mr

> Barber tried to push cpz last time,i was told that

> they would paint white line boxes down the whole

> street even if you have off street parking i said

> that would lead people to think they could park

> anywhere in that box with a permit even in front

> of driveways . The answer to that was to double

> yellow all the driveways which I think will lead

> to even less space.Every area/street has different

> pressures, but I do want the shops on grove vale

> to survive and I think a cpz will hurt them

> without making much of a difference

If this is the case, apart from teachers wouldn?t all of those categories of people be parking on these streets at the weekend? Why then do we not have parking issues on a Saturday?

shell Wrote:

> I really don't know how I feel about this.

>

> Abbottswood rd and surrounding is jam packed with

> commuters all wk and empty on a weekend. The issue

> isn't necessarily the cars but how they park. Over

> dropped curbs, on corners etc. Its a total pain

> when you're in wheelchair or mobility scooter or

> just trying to cross the road with kids/prams etc.

>

Agree with this. The roundabout at the start of Abbotswood Road where DHFC is, can be a nightmare. Sometimes people park on both sides of the street and leave a small gap that only a scooter or tiny car can get through. I've had to call the council a couple of times for them to remove the inconsiderate cars.

Additionally, St Francis road is a nightmare on a different level. CPZ is not required for all of ED but there is a definite problem for streets close to the train station.