Easiest way to get to oxford circus with baby?

I need to go to oxford circus with my 4 weeks old baby (I'm pulling my hair off already!) and I am not sure what will be the best option....

Any suggestions on the easiest/quickest way or am I really in for a hell journey???

by the way leaving from east dulwich..

12 to Oxford Circus will take you directly there, although the traffic around Trafalgar Square can be a pain so leave loads of time. I also find the 12 seems to take ages to get to Camberwell Green, so I tend to get the 176/40/185 to the green and change.

If you use a baby sling and are happy taking the tube, then bus (176/40) to Elephant and Castle then Bakerloo line would be quicker, I just find tubes without lifts too awkward to navigate with a pram when I'm on my own.

depends where in east dulwich you're going from and whether you have to be there for a set time or not? If you're the goose green end, get the 37 bus to Brixton and tube (has a lift if you're taking a buggy) directly from there, but if you need a set arrival time leave plenty of time for the 37 to turn up...

Along Lordship Lane, probably get the 185 to Vauxhall or Victoria, then onto the Victoria Line

Up by Dulwich Library, get the no 12 bus - takes you all the way there but allow and hour. Also route via Elephant would work well.

Incase you didn't know the 12 starts neat te library so you're guaranteed a seat but it does take ages. It's last stop is Oxford circus so you'll also get a seat on the way back but do get on first stop instead of the second as you might not get a seat.

I found my daughter wasn't happy on buses for long periods so I actually took the train from Denmark hill to Victoria and walked through green park and Mayfair to regent street and it was very easy and nice on a sunny day! Takes about 30-40 mins depending on your pace. Someone helped me down the steps this end and it's flat at victoria. Worked for us as it avoided the crying!

Or train to London Bridge (12min),

then another train London Bridge to Charing X (7 mins)

and walk (or tube/bus) to Ox Circus via Regeant St.

The overground stations have step free access and there are frequent trains to Charing X. The journeys are do-able with sling or buggy as long as it's not rush hour!

The suggested route of London Bridge-Bond St via Jubilee line is also fast but definitely avoid rush hour at all costs. I haven't braved the underground with a baby, as the thought of the tube stopping in a tunnel, baby screaming and a packed carriage is too much to bear!

The 12, although direct, takes AGES through Peckham and AGES from Trafalger Sq-Ox Circus regardless of whether it's rush hour or not.

East Dulwich, London Bridge, Jubilee Line to Bond Street is quickest - I have never had a problem with buggy on escalator, I just do it and it is fine, but if not keen on that then the London Bridge to Charing Cross route is great - you walk through the station from platform 15/16 where our trains arrive and get over to platform 5/6 which is all step free as said above. Charing Cross is right by Trafalgar Square, cruise past National Gallery, up Charing Cross Road to the east end of Oxford Street. Train far preferable to bus in my opinion.

Make the most of this time. Much easier to get out and about with a four week old than a wriggly 15 month old who wants to get out of the buggy. The galleries and museums perfect with a sleepy baby, and they all have nice cafes! And John Lewis Oxford Street of course.

sophiesofa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

no 12 bus

> get on first stop instead of the second as you might

> not get a seat.

where is the first stop for the 12 bus when starting from oxford circus? have always wondered this as the stop i use seems to be the 2nd stop.

i always took the 12 bus to oxford circus. the bus seemed to lull my little one to sleep, but he is getting too old now and is able to make himself stay awake!

as you probably already know, john lewis has a nice parents room where you can heat milk/sit and feed/breastfeed and they have changing mats.

p4 from dulwich village to Brixton (start if victoria line so seats plus a lift) then tube - very quick. 12 takes ages. Another option would be train to London bridge then to charing cross then walk (20 mins) or bus from there - very pleasant route.

Easiest-no 12. Still a bendy bus route so easy to take buggies on/off

Quickest-bus to Peckham Rye or Denmark Hill (dependent on which bit of ED you live in). Train to Victoria and then tube to Oxford Circus. The latter route is about half an hour quicker, but you'd find it easiest to have your baby in a sling for the transfer part and get help with the buggy down the stairs. Station staff will help if you ask them.

Try and avoid traveling in peak rush hour if you can.

Enjoy your day out in town!

Renata

kapaxiana you're probably long sorted/been and gone...but just as warning the lift at London Bridge tube wasn't working yesterday. I had to use the escalators - not so bad when going up but more scary on the way down. I also got a nice community traffic man to help me :-)

Did escalators at Bond St too. But my baby was strapped into the pram - I think would be more wary if not.