ED Pix

snorky

yes - the telephone exchange now occupies the former fire station site.

The cinema - I cannot recall the grand entrance when I used to watch the children's Saturday Morning Shows in the 1960's.

I lived in Ondine Road from 1971 - 75 and for much if that time the cinema was a venue for a Marhareshi Yogi or some such name - an eastern meditation guy. Crowds of people attended - for most part very peaceful, except when they got into arguements with locals over car parking Some things never change!

I remember the yoga lot.. bearded hippies. They ran a Saturday morning cinema club/drama club for us kids long after the cinema proper had closed mostly showing 1950's sci-fi movies (my memory is a bit hazy about it but I think the seats had been removed). They had an old double decker bus parked in the car park next to it.

I think most of the theatre props got 'liberated'and the bus vandalised. That was the end of that.

Talking of the hippies: i remember being in Savarins Cafe (which used to be a couple of doors along from the Bishop; anyone remember?)one Thursday afternoon with my dad and 4 of them came in and order 2 slices of bread between the 4 of them. when the bread arrived that cut into 4 slices and had a slice each. My dad told them that were all mad.