refuse (bin inspections)

ibo

The system here in Southwark, though far from perfect is much better than what my mum has to endure in Harrow.

Normal domestic waste collection is bi-weekly.

Her tiny front garden is dominated by 3 recycling/dustbins.

The recycling bin isn't big enough so the refuse collectors drop part of it, littering the street.

There's been an increase in people flytipping their rubbish on street corners and an increase in vermin.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have a contact re tetra-pak recyling? Can't we contact tetra-pak themselves(though we know it's pointless) Anyway, whilst our recycling is devided, more or less, having asked one of the council refuse team blokes he said it all goes in the truck and is sorted there, so why bother sorting it ourselves if the recycle truck itself doesn't differentiate?

I put the glass in a plastic carrier bag, and leave the tins/plastic loose in the box. The refuse collectors empty the carrier bag and the box, and leave the carrier bag inside the box for next time.

I too fail to see how anyone could stop a passer-by from dumping their rubbish in my bin, or tell which bits are mine and which has been dumped, especially when the bin is out on the street on collection day!

Ruth