Youth offenders unit moving to east dulwich rd

summer

The YOS is currently located on the Aylesbury estate which is about as central to Southwark in population terms as you can get. The Bradenham block is due to be demolished at some point but not soon. I suspect this has more to do with finding a tenant of the current Adoption and Fostering centre which is moving to Cator Street.

The ED SNT ward panel is concerned that local Police will be distracted from reducing local crime by dealing with YOS visitors. When asked the local Police said they would expect to have to deal with YOS visitor issues. They also said risk it would be a serious drain on Police officer time.

It isn't a particularly attractive concept DJKillaQueen to have all Southwarks young burglars etc sent by law to visit our area. Many wont have ever visited before so real risk we'll be adding ED to their reportiore.

On Eco grounds maximising the distance travelled as per the plans for each visitor will increase CO2 emissions.

Social grounds why send young criminals as far as you can from their homes and their communities to access the YOS.

And DJKillaQueen if ED has such brilliant transport links as you suggest why do we not see any businesses relocate from Borough or London Bridge?

No one in particular - my personal impression of this board is that the consensus on most issues - economics or crime say - is essentially left leaning. In addition there is a snobbery against, for example, the "buggy brigade" in East Dulwich. For a few days we had a more diverse sweep of opinion with, shall we say, more robust views on crime, but now they have all been driven off or bored to tears with essays on disaffected youth, and so situation is back to normal.

"In addition there is a snobbery against, for example, the "buggy brigade" in East Dulwich. "

I would disagree with that - there are a couple of eejits who bang on about them but I would say most of the "left leaners" on here are very much IN teh buggy brigade

As for the more diverse sweep of opinionin recent days, it has largely consisted of "hang 'em/jail 'em/export 'em" - which isn't really that helpful is it?

It depends on your perspective or "explanation" for the recent riots. I acknowledge that most of the people involved will have grown up living in depressing accomodation, with terrible or non-existent parents, and attend struggling schools. However, most of them have also never been disciplined, no-one has ever stood up to them or said no, and hence a strong response (eg jail time) may do them some good, and act as a deterrant to others. By all means lets look at improving opportunities in inner cities, but don't kid yourself that its a lack of opportunity that has failed them - discipline and self discipline are just as important, and no-one has ever given them that.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The YOS is currently located on the Aylesbury

> estate which is about as central to Southwark in

> population terms as you can get. The Bradenham

> block is due to be demolished at some point but

> not soon. I suspect this has more to do with

> finding a tenant of the current Adoption and

> Fostering centre which is moving to Cator Street.

>

> The ED SNT ward panel is concerned that local

> Police will be distracted from reducing local

> crime by dealing with YOS visitors. When asked the

> local Police said they would expect to have to

> deal with YOS visitor issues. They also said risk

> it would be a serious drain on Police officer

> time.

>

> It isn't a particularly attractive concept

> DJKillaQueen to have all Southwarks young burglars

> etc sent by law to visit our area. Many wont have

> ever visited before so real risk we'll be adding

> ED to their reportiore.>

> On Eco grounds maximising the distance travelled

> as per the plans for each visitor will increase

> CO2 emissions.

> Social grounds why send young criminals as far as

> you can from their homes and their communities to

> access the YOS.

>

> And DJKillaQueen if ED has such brilliant

> transport links as you suggest why do we not see

> any businesses relocate from Borough or London

> Bridge?

lol an they say taht the librals are sposed to be the vioce of reson amognst teh reactoinary govrnment i am suprisd at yuo mr baber thuogh doutles you hav suport from many concrned redisents in this statment yuo know tat ole saying that whoevr yuo vote fr the govrnment alwys wins best kepe the burglars in alesbury estete wher they can only bugrle there own kind lol

So James B, in other words, you don?t really know the reasoning behind the move when it is clearly obvious the current building is going to be demolished. Priceless. So I ask the next question. Is the Centre to be accommodated in the plans for the rebuilding of the estate? I 'suspect' the move is temporary because of the refurb which in turns leads me to accuse you of deliberately being vague (you made no account of the demolition in other threads for example) but will give you the chance to at least get a definitive answer on that.

The local Police also said the same things about the Harris Boys Academy too before that opened....but it is an argument that could be used to save any reduction in the local SNT as well...wherever the centre is, it has police involvement as part of the probation service, and ED does have a low strain on it?s Police resources compared to neighbouring wards anyway.

Many wont have ever visited before so real risk we'll be adding ED to their reportiore.

Where is your evidence of such a claim?

And Jeremy is right. The co2 emission argument is a non argument as the no. of bus or train services will not be reduced or increased as a result of a few teens travelling a bit further than usual. Apart from transport fuel....what other co2 concerns are there? I ?suspect? James tried that point because it appeals to the sensibilities of his electorate.

Btw James, it was not me who said ED had good transport links.....look back over the thread.

Manda> And if the SNT are predicting issues then they must have some cause for concern, past experience.

James Barber's words were "The ED SNT ward panel is concerned that local Police will be distracted." To which my internal response was: Who are this ward panel, where can I find out about them, their appointment, remit and deliberations?

DJKQ wrote

----------------------------------------------------------------------

'lefty' must be the most misused word on the forum I think and generally means anyone that doesn't agree with the moral conservative stance of the 'I'm alright Jack' and NIMBY brigade....no? ;)

I have to agree with DJKQ on this thread there some people who think "yes let have youth offenders unit so long it is not in my back yard! who is to say we don't have youth offenders living in ED it may be easier for them to register there.

edresi10 Wrote:

> Its pretty amazing that the DJ lady does not event

> live in ED but still insists on sticking her beak

> into ED business.

I live on the edge of Peckham Park and have done so for 23 years....so it IS my area........ED is not an island....get over yourself.

And yes Ridgley, there are youth offenders in ED, along with Nunhead, Forest Hill, Camberwell, Peckham and so on.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> This is excactly the kind of cr@p that shows just

> how juvenile some people are. If you can't be

> civil, and not resort to insult...don't debate.

Pot calling teh kettel black there DJ with your last response.

Ty SJ.....I might not always get things right (or say the right thing) but I do get involved with the local community and try to do good things. And no-one can question my interest in the local area or even my input to this forum (both good and bad). I think edresi is just looking for a reaction tbh....

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> "East Dulwich Road, eh? So just a stone's throw

> from the Tesco..." Loz wrote on page one.

> Anyone else even trying to hide a snigger at this

> faux pas?

No faux pas - it was an attempted joke, PR. I need to be less subtle. Though I blame admin for taking away our smileys.

Not really just looking for some indication that you understand that this isnt the bloody DJKillaQueen show- it s apublic forum where people will voice opinions, and that yours is not always right. Fair enough you have your own views but you have no right to try and bully people into accepting them, or be so ignorant to stand there and say that your views are the only right ones. It quite simple pi**es people off as has been proven today, again!!!!

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

>

> Btw James, it was not me who said ED had good

> transport links.....look back over the thread.

Indeed - it was me! And ED has got a darn sight better transport links than the Aylesbury! :p

So let me get this straight DJ 'don't mind if I fill-her' Queen. There are already robbers / vandals in ED so we might as well welcome more?! Everyone knows that 'once a criminal, always a criminal' - These guys might just finish their two monthly appointments of annoyingly indirect train routes to ED and complete everything by paper but they'll be back alright. You yourself admit that these youngsters are opportunists and just as James84 says - ED is comparatively better to do a spot of free window shopping than other boroughs. Moreover as Councillor James touches on - if they weren't aware of ED opportunities beforehand they soon will be after spending their afternoons to and from 'rehab' checking out endless amounst of single pain Victorian bay windows.

The ones that will be coming by are only those that have been caught and are forced to rehabilitate - doesn't stop them relaying info of the next treasure trove to be added to their miscreant mates' list of places to trash.

You want it set up next door to you then do you? Obviously you don't have children to consider, a house / flat that you value, and friends that don't mind get shards of glass between their toes and they walk over the threshold of your busted-in doorway? If they did set up next door to you I'm sure it wouldn't be a bad move all round - You and your incessant rants about all things ED will bore them stupid, which in itself might prove a good crime deterrant.

Who are you kidding - no-one wants a criminal living next door let alone a high turn over of them! It's almost certainly inevitable but you can't have a go at people because they've VERY good reasons to be concerned about this. Selfish!!

And I'm merely expressing a point of view too.

If people make unproven claims to back their view then others are perfectly free to challenge that. I haven't bullied anyone. I've simply questioned viewpoints that are based on nothing but unfounded fear and assumption. I know that because I know teenage offenders, I know how the system works. What you call bullying is just strong counter debate and of course it's hard to counter that if you have nothing to counter it with.

The only people who are p1ssed off are those who don't want the unit here but have no real valid argument backed by evidence to prevent it. In other words, they don't want those kinds of kids in their area. Those kinds of kinds already ARE in their area.