Questions about formula and flight allowance

We are flyting to Greece on Sunday. I would like to have a small carton (200ml) of formula with me on the flight. I know flight allowance is 100ml only so they may well not allow it. I have the boobs on standby but baby only has one feed a day so may not be enough for him.

Do the Boots after duty free in Gatwick have any for sale? And do you know if restrictions apply to pouches of baby food (ellas etc)

thanks!

i had a bag full of poaches water, juice milk etc yesterday, I did mention it but the guys were either nice or didn't care, and didnt even open the bag, you usually are asked to taste the milk or food which is annoying cos you want to keep it unopen as long as you can. boots in the boarding area is making a fortune out of this, and is the safest bet!

Same experience as above. I just pack the bag as normal and it's no problem. We fly frequently and the toughest they've been is to ask me to test 1/2 of what I've brought. Go with whatever's easiest for you, worst case you will have to take a sip of milk or test one of the pouches. If you're packing formula cartons, I found it handy to keep a bottle empty to decant into. It seems to be hit or miss, sometimes they let you through without even checking the bag, other times they go through it with a fine tooth comb. Good luck.

I travelled last months and they have asked me to open every single pouch of ella's kitchen food, which was such a waste of money as they dont last long once opened, and it was my supply for a few days (and my daughter doesnt want to eat anything else!). I really wanted to punch the horrible woman who made me do it. Only managed to ask politely at the end if she has any children, to which she troed to kill me wth her vicious eyes. Stressful for everyone.

supergolden, we are also flying from gatwick on sun morning, 6am flight. maybe see you there? x

I've never had problems taking milk/food for babies on flights - Millsa that's such an unfortunate experience for you! On our many trips to and from NZ I haven't once had to open or taste milk (phew, because I hate the stuff, so I'm sure they'd think I was acting suspiciously!!).

I find them pretty strict with fluids/baby foods etc.

A couple of years ago I was asked to open my son's shop bought rice pudding to taste in front of them....and then I chucked it straight in the bin...in front of them!

So now we do not bring any fluids or non solid food but buy it in the airport....

You can buy in boots, but as per earlier comments, dont think they are worried about pre-packed baby milk. They seem more worried about toddler stuff though.

Millsa - had similar at easter. The broccolli one really is a bit disgusting!

I will bring one formula carton with me in case I end up with someone nice checking but hope to be able to buy some after the checks. As he is still breastfeeding I will not worry too much about it. I think I may bring some food pouches but keep it to a minimum. It's only a 3-4 hour flight but dinnertime will be on air... Yikes. I HATE flying anyway so I expect to be a bundle of nerves and my poor husband having to entertain a 5 year old and a 9 month old.

Millsa we are flying later that day so we wont cross paths but hope you are going somewhere nice!

I flew to the states in february from gatwick with 300ml of expressed breast milk, I set off all the alarms on the scanner and got a really nice guy who made me taste it and joked with us I should make my husband do it ( good plan I thought).. on the way back from the states I told them it was there but they didn't even bother to check it..

I guess it is pretty hit and miss but I did phone and email the airport beforehand and they said that baby milk was exempt from the security limits.. I kept the email on my ozone just in case I had any issues...

hmmm there was a blog entry some time ago about a mum having to throw out all her expressed milk at the airport. Wish I could find it but have work to do! It was awful - that mum was bottle feeding her baby but only with EBM and she had to throw out a few bottles worth.

I guess it sort of depends on the people checking

We flew to Southern Spain earlier this year and found the whole security process at Garwick to be reasonable and friendly. I was BFing alongside solids so didn't need to carry milk, but as we ha a long day of travelling to our final destination we did take enough food for a day. We took 2 beakers of water, 2 homemade meals in plastic tubs and fruit smoothie pouches (along with various bits of homemade finger foods) in a cool bag. We packed everything else in our suitcases. I was asked to taste the water but everything else was passed through without question.

On the way home there were no checks at all.

It seems like it depends on who you get at security...

I flew to Canada in June from Heathrow, had 4 cartons of premade milk with me in carry on luggage, 1 bottle with cool boiled water. They didn't say anything about the cartons of milk, but did ask me to taste the water, which wasn't a problem. the current rules allow you take what you need for the baby as long as it is a reasonable amount for the journney. Didn't have any problems, but I would check with your airline and follow their recommendations.

As with Jills, I have been asked in the past to taste 50% of what I was taking - so I'm sure you'll be fine, but might be worth taking 2 anyway. We were going on a 24 hour flight and there was no way I could afford to waste all those cartons (not to mention the calories involved in tasting them all! :) so I basically begged until they saw reason.

A lot of it depends on who you get on the counter. If I was doing another long haul I'd check with the airport (rather than the airline), as it's the airport staff who do the checks...

Enjoy!