> *Average posts per day 10

> *Average posts per month 300

> *First three months - average 200 pcm

> *Most recent month - 400

>

>

And I thought I was bad!

*Calls in Medic - time for an intervention*

Get me....!!! And I still manage to have a social life too although as of lately I have found myself checking my iphone for updates when I should be doing other things!

Rather a contributor be than a mere bystander..... Quantity is quality eh? :0)

Um - no. Just don't like having my words misinterpreted. If you mean me with the hysteria,?? I think the last time I was accused of that, being fairly longish in the tooth, was in 1999, or maybe at 'Pull the Other One recently' lol!

'rankito Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> HP, you are clutching at straws. I don't need to

> re-read any post, least of all yours; should I

> need my hysteria fix, I will call my mother! Lol

> :)

Just for your info- the Sexby Garden is not a "dogs on lead" area, the Japanese garden is, as is around the pond. I agree some people do not have good control of their dogs & are irresponsible- however the vast majority are extremely responsible & have good control of their dogs. So please do not make generalisations -if you have that much of a fear of dogs perhaps you should seek help to address yours fears so that you can go about life more relaxed & not in this constant state of fear.

You can be a responsible dog owner (i.e. with your dog under control and you happily picking up poop) while occasionally disregarding local bye-laws - in that case the spirit of the law (i.e. having your dog under control) is being upheld even if the letter of the law (having it on the leash) isn't. The irresponsible owners are those who can't say either the spirit or the letter of the law is being followed and cause distress/accident by doing so.

You can be a responsible dog owner (i.e. with your dog under control and you happily picking up poop) while occasionally disregarding local bye-laws

Sure, I'm a responsible cyclist except when I disregard local bye-laws....

Personally I don't mind dogs, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect owners to put them on a lead when asked/required to by a bye-law. If I had a fear of dogs I wouldn't appreciate anyone smiling or laughing at my reaction to an unleashed dog, especially if I was in a place where I would expect it to be on a lead. If it's meant to be on a lead anyway, what's the issue, isn't it just a bit lazy/selfish otherwise?

If a dog is walking to heel with its owner, then it's unlikely to alarm anyone and no-one's likely to notice a leash or not. And yes, there's no reason why it shouldn't be on but often if it's just for a few moments and people are confident their dog will stay alongside, they won't bother for whatever reason.

Most people are generally responsible but I suspect there are very few who can say they've ever not broken a law through laziness/selfishness - whether it's speeding in a 20mph zone, putting a bag of litter down next to a full bin rather than taking it away or a cyclist going down a one-way street to avoid a one-way system. But with most of those instances, some will do it relatively responsibly (driving at 25mph, ensuring the bag is well secured or staying out of the way of rightful ongoing traffic) and others will do so stupidly and potentially risk others(driving at well over 30mph, dumping loose rubbish so it can blow around or cycling up the middle of the road).

It's not really that big a problem is it?

Have a 7 year old Lhasa and control him when needed, he tends to avoid human contact when out anyway as he's wary of people he doesn't know.

Sexby isn't a dog on lead area btw.

Putting all the dogs on leads in the park won't cure you of a life-long fear of them..

I have a baby on the way and it'll be important to me that he learns to integrate with both domestic dogs and wild life in the park and respect them all.

Dogs and humans have lived alongside each other symbiotically for many centuries and if you ever watched that episode of Horizon, our very evolution to this point has depended heavily on their assistance and companionship.

The railings around kids play-parks aren't there just to keep dogs out... kids need enclosed and clearly defined play areas for all kinds of reasons.

Blimey... with a few exceptions, I've always thought the dogs in PRP are a well-adjusted and impeccably looked after bunch, even before I had a dog. Loved dogs very rarely present a problem.

If an area specifically states dogs to be kept on a lead, then dogs should be kept on a lead. It's rather irrelevant whether one knows one's own dog to be well-behaved. The more people set the opposite example, the more others are likely to do the same. And what's the big deal anyway when in so much of the park it's OK for dogs to run free?

As a dog owner who regularly uses both parks, I think it is entirely reasonable to put your dog on a lead in certain sections of the park, as asked. Currently one is asked to do this in only a few areas, why not just comply? It is reasonable to give those who are worried by dogs an area of the park they can feel confident in. I don't care how well behaved your dog is offlead, you are being asked to put them on a lead. If you don't want to do this, then avoid those areas. By refusing, you are in effect curtailing the freedom of those who do not feel confident around dogs.

There is a significant anti-dog contingent that would like to see all dogs banned from parks or, at the very least, the requirement to leash them in all areas of the park. By constantly flouting the request to put your dog on lead in the few areas currently required, you give them all the ammunition they need.

I also tire of hearing the protestations of those who walk their dogs offlead around the streets, because their dog is so well behaved. Again, it is not fair on those who dislike dogs and it creates additional problems for those who keep their dogs on a lead. Of course, it is also illegal to cross a road without leashing your dog.

Put your dog on a leash in the areas where you are required to. I agree with Minkey, it's irrelevant whether it's well trained or not. It is self-centred behaviour.

And yes, the people who "walk" their dogs around the streets off the leash are even worse. Close to my home, there is unfortunately a relatively high concentration of young men with bull breed dogs, most of them seem to let them run around the pavements/grass off the leash. It's really selfish, especially as there are lots of young kids around. The damn things should be muzzled.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

. Close to

> my home, there is unfortunately a relatively high

> concentration of young men with bull breed dogs,

> most of them seem to let them run around the

> pavements/grass off the leash. It's really

> selfish, especially as there are lots of young

> kids around. The damn things should be muzzled.

Dogs, owners or both? ;-)

Spot on Jeremy and first mate. The fact is there are people who are afraid of dogs. How are they supposed to know which dogs are well behaved and which might attack them? These people don't need counselling, they just need to feel safe and that's why dogs should be kept on a leash.

Some people are just scared of dogs. "It doesnt bite" "Its bark is worse than its bite" etc doesnt help. Just keep them on leashes where asked to. Most of the park is free running for dogs. Let the People who dont like or are scared of dogs have their bit of the park at least with leashed dogs only. Simples.

I'm a dog lover, not an owner unfortunately, but it really gets my goat when you see the dogs running free in the japanese garden and arboretum- and it does happen a lot.

I think it's sheer pig-headedness on the owners part most of the time. They seem to think they know better than any by laws, so don't stick to them.

When my son was little we'd go to Peckham Park with a cheap pretty plastic ball. More than once a dog would run after the ball catch it and of course puncture it and run off holding the ball in its teeth. We'd have nothing more to play with and somehow the fact that it was "cheap" made us the nobody important. The dog and its owner went on their way and we threw the broken ball away and went ours.