(verbal) Assault just now in Peckham Rye Park

Sorry to hear about this horrible incident and I hope all concerned haven't been leftvtraumatised.

I'm not sure that the sexuality of the disgusting nobs is relevant. I mean, you wouldn't say by way of descriptor " I was having a drink with a cis/straight/heterosexual guy in a pub", would you?

IlonaM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> alice Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > P68 the latter part of yr convoluted 2nd

> paragraph

> > is ugly.

>

> Get over yourself Alice. Really.

IlonaM, take another look at the post - Alice is actually understating it! I've just read it twice and I'm still not sure what it means.

Cessj Wrote:

> I'm not sure that the sexuality of the disgusting

> nobs is relevant. I mean, you wouldn't say by way

> of descriptor " I was having a drink with a

> cis/straight/heterosexual guy in a pub", would

> you?

The only question could be are we (the forum) holding some groups to a higher standard though - or maybe we should.

(Did we have a thread discussing 'the whistlers' antics before he was banned from Southwark - maybe we did and I've forgotten :) )

For clarification - I meant (a) being gay isn't a choice - but (b) choosing to express publically your sexuality (any sexuality) is and © any relationship between consenting adults of any gender or none is fine by me.

However, in order to identify the people who verbally attacked the OP (and to differentiate between that couple and any other couple) the fact that they were same sex might be a useful identifier - it would certainly differentiate them from an opposite sex couple with the same sort of dog. And such an identifier should not be taken as some general 'attack' on the type of people being identified, just those individuals. What they may (or may not) have been is irrelevant to the verbal attack they are alleged to have made. But it might help identify them from other couples with dogs.

The accusation of homophobia, is ridiculous. Describing the two men as being a couple is simply that, a description. also, it seems to massively miss the point, which is that the OP's wife was verbally abused in the park, which is a pretty horrible experience. This forum is getting beyond parody.

To also pick on the choice of wording used and argue over the definition of 'assault' - I mean, come on people.

If someone said they were run over by a lorry, driven by a white man, with red hair, would you offer support, or argue that a lorry can't run and that the drivers ethnicity is irrelevant.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> The accusation of homophobia, is ridiculous.

> Describing the two men as being a couple is simply

> that, a description. also, it seems to massively

> miss the point, which is that the OP's wife was

> verbally abused in the park, which is a pretty

> horrible experience. This forum is getting beyond

> parody.

>

> To also pick on the choice of wording used and

> argue over the definition of 'assault' - I mean,

> come on people.

>

> If someone said they were run over by a lorry,

> driven by a white man, with red hair, would you

> offer support, or argue that a lorry can't run and

> that the drivers ethnicity is irrelevant.

With what gender did the lorry driver identify with?

keano77 Wrote:

> The bit about the dogs returned home traumatised

> amused me.

Glad you found it so funny. Dogs do suffer trauma and it's pitiful to see, I once had a Battersea dog that had belonged to an elderly couple who had beaten her with their sticks, she would cringe and whimper whenever she was near an old person with a stick. The fact that these persons who presumably style themselves as dog lovers saw fit to be aggressive towards someone else's dog was, I thought, the most unpleasant part of the whole distasteful episode. Still, as long as it gave you a chuckle.

it all sounds very unpleasant, and no doubt the OP was furious when his wife got home and told him.

But as others here have said...'attack', 'assualt', 'shrieking to the point of animal cruelty'????.....lets get some perspective....and just agree that some people can be arseholes....

rendelharris Wrote:

> keano77 Wrote:

> -----

> > The bit about the dogs returned home

> traumatised

> > amused me.

>

> Glad you found it so funny. Dogs do suffer trauma

> and it's pitiful to see, I once had a Battersea

> dog that had belonged to an elderly couple who had

> beaten her with their sticks, she would cringe and

> whimper whenever she was near an old person with a

> stick. The fact that these persons who presumably

> style themselves as dog lovers saw fit to be

> aggressive towards someone else's dog was, I

> thought, the most unpleasant part of the whole

> distasteful episode. Still, as long as it gave

> you a chuckle.

anthropomorphism Rendel - ascribing human concepts and notions to animals etc. I suspect the OP?s dogs were doing what dogs do seconds after being shouted at with no ill effects. Why you choose to believe the dogs suffered some adverse psychological episode is beyond me.

(PS off topic but loved your hypocrisy about not accepting the results of democratic votes against uncleglen on councillors thread)

keano77 Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> -----

> > keano77 Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > The bit about the dogs returned home

> > traumatised

> > > amused me.

> >

> > Glad you found it so funny. Dogs do suffer

> trauma

> > and it's pitiful to see, I once had a Battersea

> > dog that had belonged to an elderly couple who

> had

> > beaten her with their sticks, she would cringe

> and

> > whimper whenever she was near an old person with

> a

> > stick. The fact that these persons who

> presumably

> > style themselves as dog lovers saw fit to be

> > aggressive towards someone else's dog was, I

> > thought, the most unpleasant part of the whole

> > distasteful episode. Still, as long as it gave

> > you a chuckle.

>

> anthropomorphism Rendel - ascribing human concepts

> and notions to animals etc. I suspect the OP?s

> dogs were doing what dogs do seconds after being

> shouted at with no ill effects. Why you choose to

> believe the dogs suffered some adverse

> psychological episode is beyond me.

All mammals share some traits and it's ridiculous to deny that. Any animal that's suffered a traumatic event will show signs of it, do you believe dogs don't have a psychology? The dividing line between humans and animals is an entirely arbitrary one.

Agreed Rendel. It?s the use of the word trauma in a psychological sense that amused me.

Humans shout at dogs every day, dogs bark and fight other dogs, dogs chase cats, cats fight other cats and chase and kill mice and birds, birds eat worms and insects, insects eat other insects, big fish eat smaller fish.

If we?re using such words out of context in a sloppy manner then the whole animal and insect kingdom must be having a psychological traumatic meltdown.

keano77 Wrote:

> Agreed Rendel. It?s the use of the word trauma in

> a psychological sense that amused me.

>

> Humans shout at dogs every day, dogs bark and

> fight other dogs, dogs chase cats, cats fight

> other cats and chase and kill mice and birds,

> birds eat worms and insects, insects eat other

> insects, big fish eat smaller fish.

>

> If we?re using such words out of context in a

> sloppy manner then the whole animal and insect

> kingdom must be having a psychological traumatic

> meltdown.

It is, paranoia is the natural preservation state of the animal kingdom, that's why nearly all animals flee from humans.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> paranoia isn't the right word. That suggests an

> imaginary fear.

Well, paranoia can refer to excessive anxiety over things that aren't imaginary - for example one could be paranoid about crocodiles, which are a real threat but one unlikely to be encountered in East Dulwich. But "a heightened sense of threat" if you prefer!

I accidentally trod on a snail on my path the other day. I didn?t kill it but broke its shell and squashed it a bit. It can certainly be said to have suffered trauma in the physical sense and its demise probably wasn?t far away.

I doubt however it experienced psychological trauma and considered going to the snail equivalent of Switzerland to end it all given its life changing injuries.

keano77 Wrote:

> I accidentally trod on a snail on my path the

> other day. I didn?t kill it but broke its shell

> and squashed it a bit. It can certainly be said to

> have suffered trauma in the physical sense and its

> demise probably wasn?t far away.

>

> I doubt however it experienced psychological

> trauma and considered going to the snail

> equivalent of Switzerland to end it all given its

> life changing injuries.

Don't know if you're aware of this, but snails aren't mammals.