StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> but isn't that just bad driving?

>

> If people aren't expecting a changed layout, or

> find it awkward, how do they cope when something

> more serious (like a child appearing from behind a

> parked car) happens

Why is it when roads change and causes issues it is the driver's fault, but when they made changes to the bus stop at Denmark Hill that 'forced' commuters to cross the road in a dangerous place (i.e. take a short cut and not use the crossing) it is TFL's fault?

has anyone noticed that driving from goose green there is a sign at the beginning of the grove vale roadworks that say you have right of way over oncoming traffic but coming the other way there is no sign to warn that this is the case. Keeps drivers on their toes I suppose

Turning right out of Elsie Rd is a bit dodgy now - the main road narrowing has reduced visibility to the right (meaning you have to accelerate quite hard because you can't tell if something else is about to appear) and they've narrowed the left hand carriageway immediately opposite so you have less room to pull out (making you hit the brakes again). Which bunch of geniuses came up with this ridiculous layout?

peckhamboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Turning right out of Elsie Rd is a bit dodgy now -

> the main road narrowing has reduced visibility to

> the right (meaning you have to accelerate quite

> hard because you can't tell if something else is

> about to appear) and they've narrowed the left

> hand carriageway immediately opposite so you have

> less room to pull out (making you hit the brakes

> again). Which bunch of geniuses came up with this

> ridiculous layout?

Highly paid geniuses ?? sitting at a computerscreen with little maps and 'icon no entry signs' that they can move around, and create pretty little road layouts so they can justify their existance.

Bit like computer war game where no one gets hurt.

and if the cock it up, they can always change it and dig the road up yet again.

They must be having a real laugh.

Fox

Puffin crossing will be activated Monday 26/9

Road easier at puffin to meet footway height 21/10

All other road works finished except road resurfacing by 28/10

Road resurfacing 28/10 - 4/11

Not a summer to soon!

I'm not clear if the strange idea to chop of the pavement outside Blackbird Bakeries is still planned and moving the bus shelter.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's Southwark News p.50 carries a public notice about a Temporary Traffic Management Order. Can't say how frustrating it is that I have to check newspapers for what and when council officers are doing things to East Dulwich.

The order itself is wrong thinking that Ondine Road has a junction with East Dulwich Grove, etc.

But piecing it together I think it warns that:

Parking will be suspended on Melbourne Grove from its junction with Grove Vale to East Dulwich Grove - presumably as a diversionary route - 20 Octboer -> 5 November.

East Dulwich Grove will be closed from its junctino with Lordship Lane to Matham Grove - 22 October -> 30 October - this is to enable a raised table to be constructed at its junction with Lordship Lane to make it safer for pedestrians and vehicles turning and also to resurface the road. From memory this will affect 1-29 & 2-20 East Dulwich Grove and see the no.37 diverted back to its old route.

Grove Vale will be closed from its junction with Melbourne Grove to Ondine Road - 8pm to 5am for 6 nights from 30 October to 5 November. Please avoid trying to travel through at these times unless on foot or bike as you're bound to be delayed. I don't think they mean Ondine I think they mean about 50m to the east to ensure they resurface the road where the new Puffin crossing is and to also build a raised table at the Puffin crossing.

Copleston Road junction with Grove Vale will be closed - 24 to 31 Octboer to buiild a raised entry treatment/raised table.

Any problems or concerns please let me know.

Attached is copy of a letter being delivered to local homes and businesses today.

Their is one spelling mistake of Oglander Road which I'm assured will be corrected for the versino being delivered.

The mention of Melbourne Grove humps beign removed - they will be put straight back at the end of the works.

Hi Peckhamboy,

Think I've answered your query via a pm.

The council is loath to spend money on consultations as that appears as communications along with all the public relations people. So I believe that consultation areas are more narrowly defined now. For resurfacing roads they ask the contractor to do a letter drop at their own expense to homes and businesses immediately abutting the works.

James

Thanks (and for the PM). Since there is a community notice board on that junction that magically appeared a couple of months ago but never seems to have much in it, perhaps the council could find a spare copy of the leaflet and stick it in there? It just strikes me that closing a fairly busy junction for a week might merit a little more publicity than simply sticking a note through the door of the nearest 5 houses.