> > 'Shared Space' is the future, vehicles and

> > pedestrians in harmony!

>

>

> Except the visually impaired.

>

> RNIB and Guide Dogs have been campaigning against

> shared surfaces for a while, since they put

> forward new designs for the Exhibition Road area.

The new generation of near-silent electric cars is going to make life interesting then.

As a cyclist that rides from Colyton Road to Trafalgar Square, I've never used the ridiculous bike lanes on Forest Hill Road and I've never seen them being used - utter waste of money, typical council end of year capital expenditure. The Grove Vale widening will make traffic more difficult to predict - cars going at a certain speed I know are going straight on, if they are going so slow that they might turn, it makes riding very nervous. Even if its stopped the traffic lane you're in, you have to have some guts to go around to the right in the face of the oncoming cars and busses. I'd be amazed if anyone who was actually involved in the planning of any of these schemes has to regularly use them by bike, foot or car for that matter.

Oh dear. Grove Vale had a central island and staggered pelican crossing. This meant large hatched area in the centre of the wide road that served no purpose. The changes involve removing that island and yes narrowing the road so that more car parking is available.

How can creating more car parking for residents on Grove Vale be anti car?

To make this happen some kerb build outs are occurring so pedestrians can be seen when crossing the road and to book end the car parking. The proposed raised road near Grove Vale library has now been canned.

The very latest porposals - and it does appear a very moving feast - are to cut back the kerb at bus stop outside 50 Grove Vale and move the bus shelter. This will probably stop Blackbeard bakery having tables and chairs outside which is a shame. This is to allow even more car parking.

Yes and no.

The gap between the tree/bus stop and shop fronts I suspect will be too small for table and chairs and people walking past/pushing push chairs.

Sadly this latest tweak has been demanded by traders without realising it means the cafe atmosphere at this part of Grove Vale will be lost.

I have proposed just a tiny cut into the kerb to increase car parking by one space and leaving the bus stop etc unchanged as a compromise but council officials and Labour councillors have so far poo pooed it.

el-torcho Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It goes without saying when I drove along there in

> the middle of the afternoon there wasn't a workman

> to be seen. Didn't Boris say something about

> fining contractors who don't complete repairs on

> time?

Agree. As James has advised the idea/work seems sensible but why do these things take so bloody long?! Same on the M1, miles of tailbacks and 50 limits but it's a rare day you actually see a worker. When a stretch of motorway was damaged in Japan by the recent earthquake it was rebuilt in 6 days!

el-torcho Wrote:

> It goes without saying when I drove along there in

> the middle of the afternoon there wasn't a workman

> to be seen. Didn't Boris say something about

> fining contractors who don't complete repairs on

> time?

They poured a load of concrete yesterday morning, guess they can't do any more until it's set.

Chener Books Wrote:

> > I'd be surprised as the pavement has been a

> right of way for years now.

>

> A surprise does not deprive a freeholder of legal

> rights.

>

> An assertion that there is a right of way over a

> freeholder's land does not make it so.

>

> John K

Agreed. On CP Road where some properties have been converted/developed in recent years, walls with gates have been erected at the front of the buildings where previously there used just be a 'public footpath'. The owners have obviously exercised their rights in doing so as it is on their land.

It's always a shame when individuals claim to represent joe public and claim to know best, when really they're only pursuing their own selfish interests.

'Not enough consultation' is code for 'If this doesn't give me exactly what I want I'm going to try and create an interminable delay and ramp the costs up, as I'm quite happy to piss away other people's money getting what I want' ;-)

richardbach Wrote:

> slefishe igorant care onwers get too muhc

> publishity and i fore one am sick of there

> incesant bleeting and whining and mobl ephone at

> teh whele useage looke if yuo don like it then i

> sugst yyuo go to somwhre whear the pertol is

> cheper an yuo can drive like a manic libya loks

> like a god option at teh minute lol

I ran a spell check on the above:

selfish ignorant car owners get too much publicity and I fore one am sick of there incessant bleating and whining and mob phone at the wheel usage looked if you don like it then I suggest you go to somewhere where the petrol is cheaper an you can drive like a manic Libya looks like a god option at the minute lol

It's still wrong but readable.

I dont think he's dyslexic just out to anoy.

Sorry a bit off topic

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see the traffic calming is already working - the new central reservation lamppost by the junction with Melbourne Grove is at a crazy angle, dented with vehicle debris and glass around the base, in addition to the lorry scrape on the other side.

Still, at least it's keeping people in a job, replacing the damaged street furniture.

kford Wrote:

> Nice to see the traffic calming is already working

> - the new central reservation lamppost by the

> junction with Melbourne Grove is at a crazy angle,

> dented with vehicle debris and glass around the

> base, in addition to the lorry scrape on the other

> side.

>

> Still, at least it's keeping people in a job,

> replacing the damaged street furniture.

I saw the aftermath of that last night at about midnight. A VW polo hit the central reservation and it looked like it hit it hard. Ambulance and police in attendance.

I suspect it won't be the last.