New York, New York, so good they named it twice.

Whoop whoop! After a whirlwind 3 years (2 awful pregnancies, and 2 major surgeries- one awful, one fab) me and mr b have decided to throw caution to the wind (and American express...) and are off to NY with The Babies in October for a week.

Lex will be 3 mo old, Seb 22 mo. We will obviously need at least one buggy, and we are taking our ergo/beco (when it arrives). I am loathe to take the phil&teds. Options are:

1) get another umbrella pram that reclines fully for Lex, and take Quest for Seb- I.e. We each have a buggy.

2) borrow a double maclaren. Anyone got one to offer?

Any recommendations for babyfriendly places to go/eat etc? Central Parl obviously, for Seb's "park" fix. Were staying in times sq if that makes a difference.

I am also assuming this means I am more than entitled to drop serious ??? in White Stuff on holiday wardrobe, right? Right!

> I am also assuming this means I am more than

> entitled to drop serious ??? in White Stuff on

> holiday wardrobe, right? Right!

Oh, it's a must! I don't think they'll let you through passport control unless you are appropriately attired :)).

Have fun!

have friends who went recently with daughter who'd have been about 21 mths at the time - will ask them re restaurants etc.

wd think the museums and galleries might be good? can imagine a toddler enjoying the steps in the guggenheim..

I bought a double Maclaren on here for our hols next month, can't remember the model but has Cosy toes, rain cover etc. Your welcome to borrow that.

As for NYNY it's fab :-) can't help with the child friendly stuff as have only been pre kids (sigh), maybe the boat trip to Statton Island (?) could be good. I'm sure Seb would love it especially with the boats to see and helicopters that invariably buzz around.

Hamleys a must too, the store is huge and pretty special. Not to mention close to Tiffany's ;-)

There are horse and carriages and remote controlled boats in Central Park, plus the zoo which will all appeal too.

Central Park zoo is good. A bit of a trek from manhattan, but coney island aquarium is good.

Re clothes - surely you're going to do all your shopping in Century 21 when you get there?

On the buggy - if you want to avoid the pain of putting one on the plane, babies r us (there's one at union square) do cheap umbrella strollers for USD 15.

Finally, if Seb needs exciting about the trip, my son loves this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-New-York/dp/0789308843

I am from NY. If you are doing a lot of walking,a cheap umbrella stroller is very bumpy and may eevn break on the sidewalks (pavement) here. Iam actually here visiting now and bracing for a hurricane! I hate my p and ted, but I brought it and I am happy I did as far as comfort for kids. I have a just turned three year old and a 9 month old. Just something to consider.

FAO Schwarz is a fab toy store to look round - really nice baby/toddler dept in the basement. Went as an early pregnancy baby-moon with Mr Buggie and had utterly awful weather so went to lots of the museums - the natural history museum was brill (but to be avoided on rainy saturdays!).

Maybe see if you can get hold of a copy of NY Time Out as they have a similar style childrens section to the London edition and remember flicking through and thinking that there'd be loads to do with kids.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for where to stay in new York with two kids? After the flight from hell last year (seriously, I've never posted about it on the flight threads in here so as not to put anyone off) we are going to split our annual trip to see the inlaws in texas into two flights stopping over new York there and back. That way we can avoid any night flying and 7 hours seems much more possible than 11. We may stay with friends in new jersey but I would love to stay in manhattan for 1 or 2 nights. Is it possible to get a family friendly apartment (ideally with 2 travel cots!) or am I being a dreamer?? Not looking for luxury, just clean and relatively central. I've lived in new York before but alas, that seems like a lifetime ago and was well before babies... Have fun Ruth! We took first daughter to NY when she was 5 months and have some fab pics of her at the top of the rock (much better than empire state building) xx

Anna - have a look at Flipkey - we rented through them in California and it was ace, not all properties would be as baby-friendly but we lucked out with fab owner who provided all we needed. We were out of the city of course but it was so reasonable ?40 a night for a lovely, cosy one-bed apartment. Bet there are loads in Manhattan. Xx

a cheap umbrella stroller is absolutely fine and sorry nymom - that is ludicrous to suggest one would break on the sidewalks! i lived there 9 years pre-kids but all of my friends have moved on to the lightweight ones and i've never heard of such a thing. it's not Bangkok or the like, where the sidewalks really are un-buggy friendly.

Central Park is a must, and the Museum of Natural History.

Hi Ruth,

Second FAO Schwarz (puts Hamley's to shame)and the Natural History Museum (lots of big dinosaur skeletons).

If your son likes things that move, I also highly recommend the Intrepid Air and Space museum:

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Haven't been to the science museum since I was a kid, but it has lots of hands on stuff:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/

Don't think Ellis Island would be than interesting for little ones, but he'll probably enjoy the ferry ride and the stop at Liberty Island to see the Statue up close.

Had a quick look to see if anything good is playing at Madison Square Garden. Unfortunately Sesame Street is playing in Dec but this is on in Oct:

Yo Habba Gabba

http://www.thegarden.com/family-shows/index.html

Of course, go to the top of the Empire State Bldg!

If you want to do a proper full zoo day the Bronx Zoo is the one to see. I haven't been since I was a kid either, but my family in NY have and they say it's really good. I mean, they have a monorail!

http://www.bronxzoo.com/

As for restaurants, most places are child friendly and will have high chairs. Definitely try a diner - there will be something for everyone and if you're lucky you'll find one with paper placemats and crayons for the kids.

If your toddler is adventurous go to Chinatown during the day and have a dim sum lunch. They serve it on carts that whizz around and you can peek in all the dishes and choose what you want to eat.

Definitely go to a Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream. It's an experience. There's one on 42nd Street so you would have to work to avoid it if you're staying in Times Sq.:

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/google/stores/store_locator.aspx?q=New+york

-A

I am impressed, would love to head off to NYNY but since mini-me arrived 8 mths ago the thoughts of having all those fab resturants within reach and not been able to go out in the evening have put me off! That said if anyone does know of good rental apartment options then order in from said fab restaurants becomes an option : )

I know your little girl is only 3 months but my FAVOURITE thing to do in NY is the Madeline tea/brunch at the Carlisle Hotel (Madison/77th). It's in the Bemelman's bar which is decorated with murals by the illustrator and they have a crazy lady that sings and plays the piano for the children. I personally have always loved it and always bring my girls there when in NY as it makes the kids feel very grown up (cloth napkins, lovely food, great treatment, etc) and they make a killer Bloody Mary for the parents. You will not be disappointed. Have fun!

And do your shopping in NY not here!

My favourite thing in NY is the utterly beautiful Frick Collection - a small museum in the house of the 1920s oil baron and collector. Wonderful art, and small enough not to try CheekyS too much.

But whatever you do, have a wonderful time - good on you!

Chantelle, sorry you think my post is ludicrous. Ruth has two children in the buggy as do I and I am basing this on my current experience. I am spending a lot of time in lower manhattan as well where many of the streets are cobbled. I was just giving an opinion. I would not use an umbrella stroller if I was trying to have both children in it all day, especially if one is a baby.

Ruth, hop you have a great time. The Bronx zoo is a great idea for that time of year.

I went in May, also with a 22 month old. I took Fodor's New York with kids guidebook - nice and small so easy to carry around plus lots of great suggestions for days out and places to eat, plus nearby playgrounds in each area - very useful. Times square is a great location to stay as so near to walk to everything plus easy subway access. Although taxis seem so cheap compared with London and they were very popular with my toddler as he got his own seat! Just a couple of tips, this museum was great for a rainy day: http://www.cmom.org. And in Times square the toys r us had babies r us inside so good for toddler snacks. It only had big packs of nappies though but there was a nearby chemist with normal size packs of nappies in and wipes. However I couldn't find nappy sacks anywhere so they may be best to get in the airport. Oh and there are just loads of delis and wholefood outlets where you can get great takeout for dinner. Hope you have a great trip, my son still talks about it now!