East Dulwich in October Living Etc mag!!

couture

I've just flicked through latest issue of Living Etc mag which I picked up today and low and behold...whole page

at back of magazine titled 'London Neighbourhood, East Dulwich SE22'!!!

How cool is that?

Lovely shops listed, very positive, bound to be a boost for the area!

I Love East Dulwich!

Couture xx

I think I prefered ED when it was undiscovered and shops and pubs catered for local people.

It was a quiet residential area and locals gathered in their 'Local' Pub for a chat and find out latest gossip.

If you walk down Lordship Lane late on a Fri/Sat night it is like being in Malia / Ibiza.

It is crazy.

Pubs I used to use are now filled with 'Tourists' and clientel seem to change on a weekly basis.

dont know where they all come for, but hardly ever see the same faces week by week.

Shops now selling non essensials. have no value to the local community.

ED cannot cope with this huge influx of people and has now lost all it's character.

couture said..

Positive interest = more customers = more trade = business expansion = increased employment

Yes. more traffic/cars/congestion/pollution/people/rubbish/noise/vandalism/crime/robbery/begging.

Fox.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think I prefered ED when it was undiscovered and

> shops and pubs catered for local people.

So you preferred it when it was the Royston Vasey of SE London?

The more publicity the area gets and the more people it brings in, and therefore the more people who can sustain cool shops, bars and restaurants, the better it is IMHO.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I think I prefered ED when it was undiscovered and

> shops and pubs catered for local people.

>

> It was a quiet residential area and locals

> gathered in their 'Local' Pub for a chat and find

> out latest gossip.

>

> If you walk down Lordship Lane late on a Fri/Sat

> night it is like being in Malia / Ibiza.

> It is crazy.

>

> Pubs I used to use are now filled with 'Tourists'

> and clientel seem to change on a weekly basis.

> dont know where they all come for, but hardly ever

> see the same faces week by week.

>

> Shops now selling non essensials. have no value to

> the local community.

>

> ED cannot cope with this huge influx of people and

> has now lost all it's character.

>

> couture said..

> Positive interest = more customers = more trade =

> business expansion = increased employment

>

> Yes. more

> traffic/cars/congestion/pollution/people/rubbish/n

> oise/vandalism/crime/robbery/begging.

>

> Fox.

It does seem from your recent posts that you aren?t too happy living in ED anymore Fox - it?s a shame when somewhere you call home changes and it loses its appeal for you. I?m new to the area (I?m probably one of the tourists you mention as I try places out) and personally I love it. It seems to have a great mix of peace and quiet but with a great variety of shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants. It also seems to have a sense of community that I really wasn?t expecting moving to London.

LL is not really like Mali/Ibiza. There's loads of other places in London that are far closer to the party scene you get in holiday resorts.

cool shops, bars and restaurants,???

Where are they then...???

You mean the Arty Farty craft shops. The Over priced rowdy 'Pubs'? bars. The over priced Restaurants.

The ones that make a fortune and pay their staff less than the minimum wage.. (relying on Tips)

Do nothing for the community..

There is nothing cool about people urinating in your front garden or being sick on your doorstep.

I speak to people in the bars of ED. They seem to come to ED to eat and drink but do not live here.

A couple I spoke to said they came from Putney cab fare ?20.00 and ?30.00 for a late night cab home.

Are there no decent Pubs/Bars in Putney ???

I do really wonder why you live here if that's what you now think of your local area?! I'm sure it was different 10+ years ago. I moved here about a year ago and love the place, but then the "overpriced and rowdy" pubs, "overpriced" restaurants and "arty farty" craft shops are exactly why I did. I think the same would go for most other recent arrivals to the area - and I know plenty of people who've lived here for years who like the way it has changed into the place it is now.

This is London - things change. Sometimes areas change and you feel priced out or feel like it's not your sort of place anymore. I'm sorry if that's how you feel, but please don't rain on the parade of anyone who likes to be positive about the area that they live in.

Fox did I say cool? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - I'm not cool enough to know!

Places to drink - I like the mix, from old fashioned ?boozers? like The Castle to Wine Bars such as Green and Blue. Food wise - French, Italian, Turkish, Indian, nice roasts..not been disappointed so far. Shops - Sainsbury, Co-Op Iceland, the delis and butcher cover off my needs food wise. Clothes shops, the market, bookshops and home stuff allow enough browsing opportunities and the occasional purchase. Buying a birthday present for a 1 year old at the weekend, spoilt for choice! And anyway central London is 20 minutes away should that not be enough for you.

I used to live on a thoroughfare between the ?trendy? part of town and the local chavy nightclub and taxi rank, had years of people urinating on the front door and being sick on my doorstep. If you live on LL maybe you get this, on the side streets is this really problem? I?ve not noticed it.

I really like it in ED.

Im With, AlexC & PipD, when i moved to London most of my Devon friends were mortified for me. To them anywhere in London is dangerous riot filled, expensive, dirty and generally undesirable. I can show them that and enlighten them a little. I think there are small areas of wasteland inhabited by intransigent people; with respect Dulwich Fox may be happier on the Isle of Sheppey. The trouble is will they be happy with incomers from Dulwich.

AlexC Wrote:

> I do really wonder why you live here if that's

> what you now think of your local area?! I'm sure

> it was different 10+ years ago. I moved here about

> a year ago and love the place, but then the

> "overpriced and rowdy" pubs, "overpriced"

> restaurants and "arty farty" craft shops are

> exactly why I did. I think the same would go for

> most other recent arrivals to the area - and I

> know plenty of people who've lived here for years

> who like the way it has changed into the place it

> is now.

>

> This is London - things change. Sometimes areas

> change and you feel priced out or feel like it's

> not your sort of place anymore. I'm sorry if

> that's how you feel, but please don't rain on the

> parade of anyone who likes to be positive about

> the area that they live in.

I've lived here all my life. Well here and Peckham.

I have no intention of moving out for a few louts and yuppies?? or whst ever they are called now..

It is a very English thing to move to an area and try to change it.

Like the Brits abroard syndrone.. The people who went to live in Spain but hated the Spanish, refused to

learn Spanish and turned a little bit of Spain into a little bit of England.

Come and live in ED. But don't try and change it, and learn the language so to speak.

Fox.

Fox, it's not an English thing to want to move to an area and try and change it. It's just a process that happens in urban areas, i.e. (this)! I fail to see how ED getting some nice shops and resteraunts is some how compareable to the Costas?!

So, if you've no intention of moving out why put down the area you live in? It is what it is. If the place was getting filled with chain stores, all the independent places were closing and it was losing it's character I'd be with you but that's not the case.

If you get people throwing up in your front garden, you have my sympathies. That must be very unpleasant, but other than that I fail to see what your problem is exactly?

"It is a very English thing to move to an area and try to change it.

Like the Brits abroard syndrone.. The people who went to live in Spain but hated the Spanish, refused to

learn Spanish and turned a little bit of Spain into a little bit of England.

Come and live in ED. But don't try and change it, and learn the language so to speak"

East Dulwich has been around roughly since the 1870s and I guess it's changed quite a bit since then. It's natural to think of your area as having always been how it was when you were growing up, but it just aint so, particularly not in inner London during the last 30 years. Whether you like it or not, most of the people shopping in the arty farty shops and drinking in the overpriced bars are part of the local community, even if they haven't been around for as long as you.

Well DulwichFox, whether you like it or not, yuppies like me are part of this community and as I see EDF as an extension to that community, it'd be nice if you could not shoot down anyone who is positive about the community that they live in.

Now, I'm off to start a thread about getting a Watirose branch on LL... ;-)

I think you're the first person I've ever encountered who identifies themself as a yuppie!

While I don't share DF's overtly negative opinion of the gentrification of ED, I do have reservations. I don't like the idea of people moving here and hoping/trying to change it, and I certainly don't like the suggestion that people should move away if they don't like what the area has become.

Hmm, I should have put that in inverted commas! Just playing along to the boring old stereotype mentioned above! ;-)

Do individal people really try to change an area (unless they are opening some kind of business)? I think it's a lot more of a gradual process than that. A new business may attract more people, which in turn attracts more businesses of a certain type, which in turn attracts more people who like that sort of thing etc..

Jeremy Wrote:

> I think you're the first person I've ever

> encountered who identifies themself as a yuppie!

>

> While I don't share DF's overtly negative opinion

> of the gentrification of ED, I do have

> reservations. I don't like the idea of people

> moving here and hoping/trying to change it, and I

> certainly don't like the suggestion that people

> should move away if they don't like what the area

> has become.

I don't think anyone has suggested either Jeremy. Places change over time, partly because new people move in and create markets for new things (i.e. they themsleves are not forcing a change). No one has said Fox should leave, just can't quite understand why anyone would live somewhere if they didn't like it and/or it was making them miserable.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I wasn't really talking about individual people,

> literally changing the area singlehandedly. More

> the kind of mentality behind posts like "why can't

> we replace Iceland with a Waitrose", or "why can't

> we knock down the ugly flats on ... road".

Agree, you shouldn't demand. If there is a need it will happen. Don't see anything wrong with promoting/advertising the need, but you shouldn't do that by putting down what is already there (unless it's not being used.

It's a home style magazine I think Alan. For people who have a feature wall in their bedroom, white floorboards and weird vases....

Whilst the Fox is going a little too far, I agree with him on a few points. Especially going out Fri/Sat nights. The bar scene's changed a lot in the last 5 years and the Lane has become a destination for less well endowed areas like Beckenham or Forest Hill. I used to like the more local, less frantic Friday nights when you could eat in a bar without people dancing around you. Who eats in the Bishop after 8pm on a Friday any more?

BUT...there is still a reassuring spread of other valuable business types used by the local community on a daily basis, like the joiner who's making me a great door, Walsh Glazing (respect to you, the good value Irish glass fitting massive) and the mighty East Dulwich DIY. I did like it back then but perhaps that was my honeymoon period.