Yourparkingsucks

mr smith

One of my neighbours suggested I start a thread to highlight some very thoughtless parking by a very unpleasant man. It may not be clear on the photo, but this motorist took up two parking spaces when he could easily have moved his car forward and left enough space behind him. When I politely pointed this out to him, he became really quite aggressive. Oh dear.

Welcome to my world but this does smack a little of vigilantism (OK you are not damaging them as they did near Manchester airport). Perhaps put a polite note on this, or alternatively a passive aggressive one (think the former is better).

Laugh out Loud! There's enough room to park, as a rule of thumb, when reversing into a tight spot (or not so tight) is that the last part of the manoeuvre should be that your front wheel is angled outwards enabling to slip out of even the tightest of spaces.

Dear Inbound, notwithstanding your guide to parallel parking, there was not enough room behind. I?m sorry if the photograph gave you this impression. You can gain a better idea of the space by looking at the kerb stones. Enough for a Smart car perhaps, but not much else.

edcam, no need for that; I?m sure Inbound was trying to be helpful.

Our road often has no free parking spaces, but loads of big almost-gaps. It drives me mad. People should park up reasonably but not oppressively close to the next car along, or if a massive gap at the time, use their imagination as to placing themselves in the least obstructive position to allow the maximum number of cars to park later.

"front wheel is angled outwards " is this really good advice ? Particularly in narrow roads where much squeezing past of vehicles goes on .

The trouble with assumed poor parking is that it needs to be witnessed while taking place .Otherwise who knows what the state of play was when the car was left and what changes in car positioning have taken place .

My car sometimes looks as though I need a space big enough for a double decker. However, this usually occurs when I have parked in a tight spot (I drive a small car), then a couple of 4x4s park, then move and are replaced by small cars. Suddenly there are ?nearly spaces? around.

"front wheel is angled outwards" isn't the correct procedure...the first manoeuvre should be to reverse back as far as you can go, with your wheels straight, to give you the most amount of room at the front, then you are in a better position to pull out.

Parking with your wheels angled outwards is dangerous.

Balderdash! If you were on a hill then it would prevent the car from rolling off if the handbrake was to fail. The object of leaving then angled is to allow to pull out without having to manoeuvre back and forth to gain the space need to turn the wheel outwards in a really tight space.

Less of the balderdash ,Inbound .

THe Highway Code has this to say about parking

Parking (rules 239 to 247)

Rule 239

Use off-street parking areas, or bays marked out with white lines on the road as parking places, wherever possible. If you have to stop on the roadside:

do not park facing against the traffic flow

stop as close as you can to the side

do not stop too close to a vehicle displaying a Blue Badge: remember, the occupant may need more room to get in or out

you MUST switch off the engine, headlights and fog lights

you MUST apply the handbrake before leaving the vehicle

you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for cyclists or other traffic

it is safer for your passengers (especially children) to get out of the vehicle on the side next to the kerb

put all valuables out of sight and make sure your vehicle is secure

lock your vehicle.

It used to be a practice to leave a car in reverse gear when parked on a hill in the belief that this would counteract movement if the handbrake failed .I've no idea if this would work in practice ,but might be worth a go .

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It used to be a practice to leave a car in reverse

> gear when parked on a hill in the belief that this

> would counteract movement if the handbrake failed

> .I've no idea if this would work in practice ,but

> might be worth a go .

Wow yes - that's what I was taught a long time ago.

Inbound Wrote:

> Balderdash! If you were on a hill then it would

> prevent the car from rolling off if the handbrake

> was to fail. The object of leaving then angled is

> to allow to pull out without having to manoeuvre

> back and forth to gain the space need to turn the

> wheel outwards in a really tight space.

I thought we were talking about trying to get in and out of a tight parking space?

'wheels facing outwards' might help on the rare occasion that you are on a hill AND your handbrake fails but for the common 'driving out of a tight spot', reversing back into the remaining space, however small, requires the wheels to be straight. If you left the wheels pointing at an angle and tried this, you would just move closer to the kerb.

A good driving instructor would tell you 'for the benefit of moving off again, finish parking with your wheels straight'.

It's not Balderdash, it's parallel parking.

JohnL Wrote:

> intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > It used to be a practice to leave a car in

> reverse

> > gear when parked on a hill in the belief that

> this

> > would counteract movement if the handbrake

> failed