East Dulwich Station Mural - And the winner is....

Has anyone else see the similar Forest Hill installation - not street art of this sort, but a "Welcome to Forest Hill" which was crowd funded:

https://se23.life/t/forest-hill-mural-crowdfunder-2-500-raised-successfully-in-75-hours/7656

I appreciate the plan is a bit different here, but the Forest Hill one makes me smile whenever I go past it, so hoping this one will do too.

The attached photo is from SE23.life.

I'm really baffled by the amount of vitriol being heaped on this initiative (and the group that originated it) and to be honest I think it makes those individuals who keep banging on against it look rather petty and vindictive. I love having loads of street art around - even the pieces I don't personally like, if that makes sense. It livens up the place and makes it seem more vibrant and welcoming. If it helps local businesses that's good for all of us. I fail to see any sinister motive behind this.

I loved Ingrid Beazley's Dulwich Picture Gallery initiative but sadly she is no longer with us and this is clearly a separate thing. Why is that controversial? Frankly I'm astonished that anyone does anything for the community given the amount of frothing negativity they have to deal with. Maybe those people moaning should try to organise their own initiative if they don't like this one?

Siduhe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has anyone else see the similar Forest Hill

> installation - not street art of this sort, but a

> "Welcome to Forest Hill" which was crowd funded:

>

> https://se23.life/t/forest-hill-mural-crowdfunder-

> 2-500-raised-successfully-in-75-hours/7656

>

> I appreciate the plan is a bit different here, but

> the Forest Hill one makes me smile whenever I go

> past it, so hoping this one will do too.

>

> The attached photo is from SE23.life.

Never seen that, looks fun. The similar signs (sans walrus!) look very good in Herne Hill too. Must say that looks better (to me) than the proposed alternatives for ED.

I will retire from this thread now as it has reached peak torpor- this isn't about the art, the bridge, shopkeepers, creatives, vibrancy or whatever else has been bundled into the discussion to bulk it out. some critical thinking on the themes being raised here may not go amiss.

PS the forest hill logo is a retro delight.

/

Arrrrrgggghhhhhh.

The Forest Hill style design is EXACTLY what we've been lobbying for in East Dulwich! It's done by the same artist that did the Herne Hill one... I think Bromley and several other locations had variations of the same design.

Arrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

I give up...

The Forest hill and Catford logos are awesome. I think one of the artists painted the post office in Camberwell and it was impressive and made a once boring building look really exciting.

I think it's a great way to bring a bit of colour to underneath a dreary bridge :)

rch Wrote:

> Arrrrrgggghhhhhh.

>

> The Forest Hill style design is EXACTLY what we've

> been lobbying for in East Dulwich! It's done by

> the same artist that did the Herne Hill one... I

> think Bromley and several other locations had

> variations of the same design.

>

> Arrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

>

> I give up...

Well if you (and others) like that style, then vote for the first option (Blue Shop Cottage) which is ... retro-styled lettering. What's the problem?

rch Wrote:

> Arrrrrgggghhhhhh.

>

> The Forest Hill style design is EXACTLY what we've

> been lobbying for in East Dulwich! It's done by

> the same artist that did the Herne Hill one... I

> think Bromley and several other locations had

> variations of the same design.

>

> Arrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

>

> I give up...

Hi Robin_ex_cllr

Regarding your comment above, who have you been lobbying for a Lionel Stanhope piece?

What responses have you received to your lobbying efforts?

Could you let us know please, as we have already discussed the project with Lionel, and he works very closely with several of our partners. We may be able to assist.

Regarding your (now edited/retracted) comment on the work of Blue Shop Cottage, we found that unfounded and rude. We totally disagree with you, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. And you know what they say...

Each of the artists have their own unique style, and don't pretend to replicate other artists. Why would they, when they have an established style and reputation.

----

Jules & Boo: "No one seems to have been involved at the selection stage"

Many, many, many artists were contacted during our Call for Interest phase, Lionel included. We actively pushed invitations out to artists with a huge range of styles within the street art community. It's unfortunate that you don't have a fit for your own personal taste in contemporary street art. That said, I'd vote for your favourite to make your choice count.

The shortlisted artists fit the brief perfectly, and we are incredibly lucky to have their involvement.

We should point out that the mural budget doesn't come remotely close to meeting their professional rate for a piece of this size, and each of them are working with us below rate because they have a personal connection to our area and want to create the piece.

----

Robin_ex_cllr: "The artist we like is Lionel Stanhope"

We discussed the project with Lionel before and during the call for interest. Lionel is very supportive of the project, and the artists and was very open with us about his workload with the Brockley street art project and numerous other heritage pieces around London over the coming months. He has been really helpful in recommending artists.

Lionel is also a judge on the project.

He is an incredible artist, and we love his work. However, one of the reasons, we didn't present a single artist is that it would be prescriptive from our side. A public vote on something totally unique for our area with a number of nationally and internationally recognised artists is absolutely in keeping with the community engagement spirit of the project!

----

Jules-and-boo: "I would easily be able to circulate this and get a variety of styles and a broader choice."

One of the reasons we were so vocal about volunteers at the outset of this project was to ensure we had a good spread of the community to drive the decisions that form the project. However, it's clear there is a voracious drive amongst a few you for very specific pieces of street art, and with active lobbying and a circulation network, we have no doubt we'll be hearing more about your project in the near future.

Please keep us all up to date with your efforts. We'll help in any way we can.

Jules-and-boo: ?the whole thing seems to have been signed sealed and delivered in a pretty uncollaborative way?

- an open call for steering volunteers. Anyone can collaborate.

- an open survey on the area. Anyone can participate.

- an open call for artists. Anyone can participate or recommend.

- a selection of internationally recognised street artists to vote for. Everyone has a vote.

- a photo competition open to all ages and abilities across East Dulwich. Anyone can participate.

- a free charity/community stall at North Cross Road Market. Any group can use it.

....Are you interpreting the definition of uncollaborative in a different way to us?

And here we are:

East Dulwich Station Mural

Vote for your favourite artist now!

Following a fantastic response to our open call for interest, three artists have been shortlisted. They are:

- Blue Shop Cottage/Alphabetics Anonymous

- D*Face

- David Shillinglaw

View each artist, mural FAQs and cast your vote here: https://loveeastdulwich.com/east-dulwich-mural/

The winning artist will be selected by the East Dulwich community vote and an independent panel of judges.

Voting open Thurs 14 June and closes on Friday 29 June at 1700.

For more info, contact [email protected]

-----

We are also running a fantastic photo competition for a big outdoor banner exhibition later this summer.

We are looking for locals and visitors to submit selfies, photos of friends, family and scenes in and around East Dulwich here:

https://loveeastdulwich.com/me-ed-photo-competition/

Everyone has great shots on their phones, and we'd love to see them!

---------------------------

EAST DULWICH ACTION GROUP

The East Dulwich Action Group is comprised of local residents and businesses working together to deliver Southwark Council's High Street Challenge Initiative, strengthen the identity of East Dulwich and promote the area to residents and visitors alike.

Our project partners are: Southwark Council / Network Rail / Dulwich Festival

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

Well, at least you've confirmed that Lionel Stanhope submitted a response to your "open call" for interest, which is what I had intended.

If I had been allowed to continue to attend your meetings, I would have done everything I could have to convince you to include him in the shortlist so that residents could actually vote for him.

To be fair, Blue Shop Cottage is the least worst of the three shortlisted candidates, but I think their proposal to hand out flyers to collate phrases and responses to build into a design is the wrong approach for this location... it would be better if they simply designed an East Dulwich location graphic in the style of the old London Underground graphics, similar to Lionel's approach.

Having said that, I'm surprised that Network Rail has given permission for a spontaneous mural to be painted on their property at all... in the past there have been convoluted planning permission layers to navigate.

And I still think the public are curious as to how you got awarded this funding allocation...

rch Wrote:

> Well, at least you've confirmed that Lionel

> Stanhope submitted a response to your "open call"

> for interest, which is what I had intended.

>

> If I had been allowed to continue to attend your

> meetings, I would have done everything I could

> have to convince you to include him in the

> shortlist so that residents could actually vote

> for him.

>

> To be fair, Blue Shop Cottage is the least worst

> of the three shortlisted candidates, but I think

> their proposal to hand out flyers to collate

> phrases and responses to build into a design is

> the wrong approach for this location... it would

> be better if they simply designed an East Dulwich

> location graphic in the style of the old London

> Underground graphics, similar to Lionel's

> approach.

>

For someone who's been so critical of the selection process you seem to have a very dogmatic approach to it yourself - it seems that your opinion is the only one that matters. May I timidly suggest that some of us might actually like the options available and not want a carbon copy of something that's already been done in Forest Hill/Herne Hill?

Although I like the pieces done in the areas mentioned by Redjam, think there's one in Bromley too, as someone who has lived in ED since 1980, 5 mins from the station, am definitely against a copy of those works, ED deserves better than that, voted for Blue Shop Cottage, although am also fond of D*face's work, am sure to be delighted with whatever either come up with.

redjam Wrote:

> Robin - For someone who's been so critical of the

> selection process you seem to have a very dogmatic

> approach to it yourself - it seems that your

> opinion is the only one that matters. May I

> timidly suggest that some of us might actually

> like the options available and not want a carbon

> copy of something that's already been done in

> Forest Hill/Herne Hill?

via GIPHY

What a FANTASTIC response to the East Dulwich Station Mural!!

A huge thank you to everyone who has voted so far.

With only 6 days left to make your vote count, please make your selection, and share the website with friends and family!

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE ARTIST NOW!

Following a fantastic response to our open call for interest, three artists have been shortlisted. They are:

- Blue Shop Cottage/Alphabetics Anonymous

- D*Face

- David Shillinglaw

View each artist, mural FAQs and cast your vote here:

https://loveeastdulwich.com/east-dulwich-mural/

The winning artist will be selected by the East Dulwich community vote and an independent panel of judges.

Voting open Thurs 14 June and closes on Friday 29 June at 1700.

For more info, contact [email protected]

-----

We are also running a fantastic photo competition for a big outdoor banner exhibition later this summer.

We are looking for locals and visitors to submit selfies, photos of friends, family and scenes in and around East Dulwich here:

[loveeastdulwich.com]

Everyone has great shots on their phones, and we'd love to see them!

---------------------------

EAST DULWICH ACTION GROUP

The East Dulwich Action Group is comprised of local residents and businesses working together to deliver Southwark Council's High Street Challenge Initiative, strengthen the identity of East Dulwich and promote the area to residents and visitors alike.

Our project partners are: Southwark Council / Network Rail / Dulwich Festival

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

SEE!!! We KNEW you'd get into the spirit of it at some point Flocky!

Better late than never, but welcome to the party. Party poppers ready for 5pm tomorrow?

flocker spotter Wrote:

> this is the most exciting thing ever to happen to

> ED.

>

> What a time to be alive.

Well done eastDAG on a well organised and well communicated project. Three great design options, and nicely presented on your website.

Our mural in Forest Hill created a lasting buzz and we were pleased to see local people really got behind the project from start to finish. It helped to have the supportive forum community that had built up on SE23.life over the last two years.

Obviously there will always be a small (and vocal) bunch of naysayers, but a project like this should be driven forwards for the benefit of the majority - otherwise, community art would never happen.

Keep up the great work.