Goodrich vs Heber Road

The biggest obstacle to a school doing well or not depends on the quality of its leadership and management. We often hear of success stories where the schools were previously written off.

Here's an excerpt taken from a recent example of how a well run scholl can benefit the pupils and wider community.

School inspectors declared Wildern to be outstanding during its inspection last year and singled out Mr Threlfall for his "inspirational leadership" and praised the "Wildern experience" on offer to all pupils..

Under Mr Threlfall the sp*ci*list arts college achieved dozens of different awards and was the first in Hampshire to gain leading edge status allowing it to set an example for other secondary schools.

Instrumental Mr Threlfall was also instrumental in setting up an innovative virtual learning environment for staff and pupils and won a number of national awards for the school's outstanding use of information technology.

The community also benefited from Mr Threlfall's tireless dedication with the creation of The D@rt Centre offering community classes in dance, drama, art and music, the community sports and leisure centre and more recently the Wildern Audio Visual Education Centre that can be used as a cinema.

Nero I totally agree about the spelling thing, and of course schools should be teaching children to spell well. However, I'm not convinced it's that important at such early ages. I'm pretty sure that most other countries don't push kids so hard at such a young age.

I'm a Goodrich parent and pretty happy with things.

However, I don't feel totally on top of what's going on and find the current set up quite difficult to understand in terms of who to talk to about finding things out or getting things done. I don't know if it's the same at Heber. It sounds like it is form some of the posts in this conversation.

The weekly newsletters from the head at Goodrich are useful - what would be really good is if they could go online somewhere so that parents can follow up on the points in them. I'm sure it could cut down on calls and emails and visits to the school office if the most common questions could be answered publicly.

Like "Will the line ups still happen during a torrential downpour?"

Or, "Can you tell me the dates of the inset days next term?"

I've written to the school office to offer my help in the school's general use of the internet for communication - I've been told there's a new website on the way... hopefully that'll give us a way of communicating more directly with the people with the answers.

both schools are IMO good local schools and you need to decide for yourself what is best for your family from the basis that both schools are good educationally and that SATs results are basically an idiotic governmentally lead concept.

which school is nearer to you?

- the shorter your walk to school the better, and the better chance your child will have friends in the same road

what was your gut feel when you walked round the school?

- don't discount your feelings here

did you respect the head's strategic vision for their school?

- where is the school going, what are the challenges and opportunities?

do you want a smaller or larger school (goodrich is larger)

are you pleased with the progress the school is making?

do you want to be involved in the school community?

Curmudgeon says all the obviously useful points but I can add some info.

For many years Goodrich was well-attended and therefore properly funded, while Heber was a failing sink school - 20 per cent turnover of staff and pupils every year. When Southwark Education was briefly in the hands of a private facilities company they did not do a good job with Heber and it suffered even more (I believe they kept on too many staff for the number of pupils). When Tim Mamak was parachuted in he had an incredibly hard job to turn the school round and, by and large, he has done it. The reputation of the school among the local community has been transformed and, for the first time ever, the school has a waiting list.

I chose Heber because a) it was closer, b) we could get in and c) it was improving rather than complacent.

As well as open days I would suggest going to events held at the schools too - jumble sales or christmas fairs or whatever. You'll get an idea of the parent community at each school, and your children will be playing with their children. You need to like at least some of them!

Mr Rob

"Saw Dog Kennel Hill too but it seemed kind of tatty and worn out (as did a lot of the kids, tbh)"

How wrong and misguided you are. DKH is the tops. Great teachers, fantastic head, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant kids - not to mention consistently fab Ofsted reports.

Luckily for them though, sounds like you and your offspring live too far away to get in.

I know we all like to think we have an element of choice in which school our children attend but the bottom line is they will probably only get into the school that is closest to where you live (or at which they have siblings). What we all need to do is make the most of that school and support it's endeavours to achieve the best education for our children.

Edmummy, great point.

my partner was angry at my earlier post as she thought that we shouldn't gossip about school problems but sort them out. It's true that scares about certain schools can lead parents to desert it which causes a snowbal effect making it harder to sort out the original problems.

If every school had a good proportion of parents getting involved and supporting the system then there would be no bad schools.

good luck Dulwich Dad

I have to say I think ED Mummy has it spot on. They talk about choice but really there isn't any particularly as there is a central application now.

Don't forget your application for next academic year (Sept 2008 - July 2009) needs to be in by January 26th and the online application process is slightly less than straightforward.

EDmummy does have it spot on - and I think that's the way it should be.

If people spent as much time and energy supporting their local school as they do researching which schools are 'the best', wheedling their way in through churches or protesting against decisions, then all our schools could be fantastic, inclusive, and well-resourced. Personally I want schools to be amazing places of learning for all our kids, not just my own. The Dulwich Hamlet / Bessemer Grange problem is a crime, and as far as I can see has created a huge social divide in that catchment, which is certainly not healthy. So let's not do the same.

I sent my kids to Heber because it's my local school, and as Mrs Jim said - if there are perceived problems within the school then let's tackle them in a constructive and supportive way. That said, at the moment there is no obvious route to do this at Heber, and that's something we should (and can) do something about.