Anti-social behaviour/Fear of Crime

Ami

Just because you fight Marquis of Queensbury Rules in the ring doesn?t mean that you can?t do anything but. Knowing how to move and punch harder and quicker than the other guy sways the odds in your favour no matter where you are.

Although if you do take boxing seriously and compete you get into a lot of trouble if you are caught fighting outside the ring.

Being able to fight doesn't come into it when you're surrounded by several kids, at least one of them flashing a blade, as they try and separate your kid from their possessions. It's more important for your kid to know when to have a go and when to keep stum. Failure to do that can mean a few weeks on a ventilator with a punctured lung.

Back in the 80's when I was a kid I used to hate the violence of childhood but it was relatively safe in that it was all about asserting power over others and rarely to do with theft or actual bodily harm. It was sort of innocent violence.

Our society has moved on and now shouts loud and clear that having stuff can be more important that being a good person. House prices booms teach some about real wealth, endless credit's there for the wannabe wealthy and then there's theft and violence for the wannabe respected. This is sadly out of control and ASBO's and banging more people up just isn't the answer.

An honest, fair and unselfish society is what's needed but where's that going to come from?

(Sighs and moves on)

ap

I share your frustration AP. It seems the only way that society acts together unselfishly is when their back is up against the wall. Perhaps like the Spirit of the Blitz. But even then there was still alot of crime going on. Perhaps this is why the government wants our minds more focussed on the war on terror and the threat from abroad from countries like Iran.

Aye. Building up issues so that they seem be directly threatening when what's happening outside is actually what is really dangerous but harder to deal with due to being at home (fear of nanny state accusations) and being of an entirely different scale.

Our 'leaders' get how to do the international big difficult issues, knowing that political prestige lies in international legacy. As the British public are thought of as fickle then the only real respect to be had is amongst other politicians and publics who don't have to vote for Blair, Brown, Bush, et al.

What our politicians and process don't do at all is prioritise actual real issues. Climate change, the need for peace in Iraq and on the streets of Dulwich and nurturing a caring society are all really fuckin important but don't get a look in alongside Iran, Al queda and all that nasty stupidity. We are encouraged to be fearful by our leaders and their avoidance of real 'home' issues and then encouraged to be even more scared of the violence which outsiders might visit upon us.

Bored of it. Double sigh.

Our backs are against the wall if we look at diminishing resources, climate change and melting icecaps but it benfits the elite if we are kept too busy working to consume to be able to get together in a spirit of community like during the blitz. Even then, it wasn't any top down policy that brought about the sense of community, it was direct action by people taking over the underground to use them as bomb shelters, against the wishes of the politicians that brought it about. The politicians had banned the public from using them.

We need to stop.

We need to take time to look at what is happening.

We need to stop consuming and fuelling the dragon that is destroying our planet.

Then we need to take stock.

See what is left, and how we can live in a more sustainable and equitable way, where there won't be a hierarchy of haves and have nots.

We need to give a shit.

About the planet and our global neighbours.

So why don't you all start to live the change you want to see, instead of waiting for someone else to do it for you?

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Our backs are against the wall if we look at

> diminishing resources, climate change and melting

> icecaps but it benfits the elite if we are kept

> too busy working to consume to be able to get

> together in a spirit of community like during the

> blitz. Even then, it wasn't any top down policy

> that brought about the sense of community, it was

> direct action by people taking over the

> underground to use them as bomb shelters, against

> the wishes of the politicians that brought it

> about. The politicians had banned the public from

> using them.

>

> We need to stop.

>

> We need to take time to look at what is

> happening.

>

> We need to stop consuming and fuelling the dragon

> that is destroying our planet.

>

> Then we need to take stock.

>

> See what is left, and how we can live in a more

> sustainable and equitable way, where there won't

> be a hierarchy of haves and have nots.

>

> We need to give a shit.

>

> About the planet and our global neighbours.

>

> So why don't you all start to live the change you

> want to see, instead of waiting for someone else

> to do it for you?

hippy!

I think if adults suffered the same level of crime kids suffer there would be a huge outcry (remounts high horse)my teens go to a state mixed school and boys in particular are mugged and assaulted by older kids on a daily basis. Black and white, small and large, they all get picked off as there's always someone bigger out there-or in a bigger group anyway. They all live with a sense of fear which sadly seems based in reality. When there was a lot of stuff going on about peckham v lewisham gangs, the ones living on big estates were especially worried for their personal safety....it's very sad. Most teens are lovely, underneath the hoods! oh god descending into cameron territory....

What you just said there has reminded me of something. A few weeks ago I was standing at the bus stop outside Denmark Hill station. The evening commuters, me included, were clogging up the pavement dressed in severe suits and scowling at the traffic as if staring a car down would turn it into a bus.

A couple of kids walked by hidden under hoodies and as they passed I heard the one ask the other, ?Why do they always look so angry??

TillieTrotter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Where do you get them stats from then Keef, alot maybe even most of my daughter's friends mainly from the 3 private schools were mugged at some point in their career. They are obvious targets of course. And you know, that I know, that you were messing. Sort of;-)

To be fair Tillie, I don't actually have any stats, but I'm still pretty certain that my statement would be correct. I'd be willing to bet money that DC doesn't have the sort of playground bullying that goes on inan "average" school.

Anyway, my intention was never to be posh Vs Poor, I genuinely hate all that sh!te, and I was just having fun (although I do have views on Private education, but that's for another time).

All theft is obviously wrong, and no young person deserves to be a victim whatever their background. Something I find interesting these days is the amount of girl gangs you see around, and their attitude. I regularly hear girls on buses boasting about beating someone. Now I only left school 11 years ago, which isn't that long, and there were plenty of boy gangs, and there were some "bad girls" around with a reputation, but they'd usually be individuals. These days the girls seem to be right up there with the lads for big groups with no fear of anyone.

I think its very sad that we have stopped giving our kids freedom to grow up because of all of the street crime around. I wonder how this will affect their independence....posh kids or not. If kids can't walk home from school without being mugged on a daily basis, and usually no one intervenes, are we just encouraging kids not to walk anywhere, not to go out, but sit at home and play computer games or watch TV? Ami, in writing up your research, consider the implications for the future of these kids.....and how adults have let them down.

Happy kids and a better society will come from happy grown ups so:

? streets for people to walk and play without fear of being flattened so 50% fewer cars in 10 years, 4x4s banned, and money for train network which is affordable and which don't smell of wee

? everyone to have a paid day off work a month to work on being a good person

? criminalise not being caring enough - a touch thorny i realise but maybe worth a punt

? do away with money having asked everyone everywhere to chip in to a new fair way of trading stuff

? neat wealth redistribution system which leaves everyone happy

Oh and?

if anyone calls me a hippy I will chop down an oak tree in Peckham rye this Sunday.

ap