Lead stolen from roof on Ondine Road

Albert Fegg

Over the weekend some thieving toerag scum got into the back garden (which is gated and locked), climbed the scaffolding and stole all the lead flashing from the new part of our roof which is in the process of being replaced.

I haven't spoken to the neighbours yet and won't be able to until Wednesday.

Have reported to the police.

Anyone see anything?

Anyone experienced similar?

Looks like someone has tried to steal the lead flashing off the bay window at the front of my neighbours' house on Fellbrigg Road. It's been left hanging off, so maybe they were disturbed.

No idea how you're meant to prevent this type of theft apart from keeping eyes and ears open?

Unfortunately, due to current lead values, theft from roofs is one of the most prevalent forms of theft at the moment (this is what the local police have said). If you see people on your neighbour's roof and you don't think they were getting works done on their roof, call the police. Cemetery buildings in the area have also been stripped of their lead.

Renata

WE had the lead stolen form our nearly completed roof in Crystal Palace on the first Thursday night in September. They scaled the scaffolding at about midnight and ripped off all the lead, smashing the new slates in the process. They then returned on the Sunday night to get some more - despite the scaffolding then being alarmed. We were there, with the police within ten minutes but too late. We were told lead theft more prevalent than ever - coinciding with highest lead price ever. We were advised to use smart water on the lead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And everytime the cemetery and other council

> buildings have lead stolen I point out to the

> council Director concerned that the chances of

> this theft could be slashed if they deployed metal

> property marking.

And what is his/her response? Not favourable I am assuming?

This is a perfect example of Demand Failure - demand on resources generated due to failure of previous attempts to address an issue.

Sounds like Southwark Council could do with some Lean Thinking consultancy. Know anyone who can provide it? I do.

www.watt-works.com

Lean Thinking in an organisation is best introduced when there is a passionaye, committed champion of the approach. After my recent torturous fiasco attempting to get registered on the Electoral Role I thgink there are plenty of areas where Southwark Council could benefit from some joined up thinking.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> There is a real problem with metal theft in the

> area at the moment and lead flashing is highly

> targetted. My advice is to make sure scaffolding

> is alarmed.

As with the price of metal and steel prevailing with in the world of today, surely one must remain alert regarding thefts and robberies taking place around a person....

I saw a couple of guys digging up the wraught iron railings on the Oglander Island (Grove Vale/Copleston Junction) today

Not sure why they were digging them up *again* after it's only just been resurfaced? I assumed they just love constantly rejigging that junction... but now thinking back perhaps they were after the metal in a clever broad daylight disguise?

or perhaps not

This happened to my partner's house in Herne Hill... his and the neighbour's lower roofs were stripped of the lead flashing, very annoying and costly... not great for his tenant who'd just moved in that week - talk about a welcome to the neighbourhood!

not quite as heartbreaking as that story the other day on the news about the heartless bastards who stripped the inscriptions off grave markers in a cemetery... that was just disgusting.

James Barber Wrote:

> If you think metal theft is a real problem one

> proposed solution is to make it illegal for scrap

> metal merchants to pay cash.

>

> If you think that's a good idea then please do

> sign this petition:

>

> https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petit

> ions/406

Thanks for posting the link to that petition, have signed it myself and tweeted/posted to facebook so hopefully others will do likewise.