New Peckham Rye Play Area

I have been a few times and think the new playground is great. However I do think the big slides are an accident waiting to happen. Each time we have been packs of children have been climbing up the slides through the tunnels rather than going up the conventional way. Younger children have then been flipped off the slide as they exit while encountering a bigger child coming up and also knocked off their feet at the bottom as an older child slides out. I've asked children not to do this as my own child is using the slide but it's impossible for anyone to really police it, it could probably so with some signs. I've seen several young children coming away in tears after an accident.

To be honest its not a sign that would solve it but the parents telling their children not to climb up them! Especially at the moment when the park is new and very busy

bubbachumps Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have been a few times and think the new

> playground is great. However I do think the big

> slides are an accident waiting to happen. Each

> time we have been packs of children have been

> climbing up the slides through the tunnels rather

> than going up the conventional way. Younger

> children have then been flipped off the slide as

> they exit while encountering a bigger child coming

> up and also knocked off their feet at the bottom

> as an older child slides out. I've asked children

> not to do this as my own child is using the slide

> but it's impossible for anyone to really police

> it, it could probably so with some signs. I've

> seen several young children coming away in tears

> after an accident.

Why are people with children who are too young for it taking their kids there when there are a myriad of toddler friendly playgrounds including the one in the actual park?

About time that we catered to older children and teens in Southwark. They deserve places to have fun as much as pre schoolers

And the adventure playground at the top of Peckham Playground and the one at Denmark Hill (as already pointed out in this thread) don?t do that already?

The baby swings, smaller roundabout, sandpit/small climbing frame in the new playground clearly cater for a younger age group. Had all the equipment clearly been aimed at an older age group (as with fore mentioned areas) then guess what? I wouldn?t take my toddlers there. All I think anyone with smaller children is asking for is a bit of awareness that actually this playground is intended to be for all ages, even if the design lets it down.

Hi all, I've been away, so sorry that I haven't responded. There is planting being done which should improve the shade situation. The weather hasn't been ideal for planting! There are parts of the playground more suitable for younger and others for older children. There is still the older playground to the south of the Park which is more geared up to younger children. There are a few snagging issues, I'll add the screws to this.

Renata

Hi Renata,

Thank you for keeping up with all the comments. On the whole playground looks as though its really being enjoyed! Hoping younger and older will, as they have in most other playgrounds, find ways to get along and use common sense and some respect for others.

It's sad to find people trampling down the barriers put up within the playground to protect the grass/planting to sit down/have picnics. Can anything be done - notices etc? - to make them away of why its barriered off. Would have thought it would go without saying WHY they are barriered off but obviously not!

HP

I've got 3 kids under 3.5, so have largely avoided the playground as it's been so busy and hot, but really looking forward to getting stuck in once school's back in session! I'm wondering a bit more about the 1-o'clock Club that used to take place in the clubhouse that's now been knocked down for this new playground and cafe development. It was such a boon to parents of young children and babies - a wonderful resource to meet other parents, keep small kids entertained, do craft and outdoor activities, and access services like speech and language therapists. Will it be coming back in any way? It was VERY popular, so it seems like a strange and sad thing to cut out... thanks for any info!

I think it?s brilliant that there?s a playground suitable for older kids - my daughter is 8 and has pretty much outgrown all the local playgrounds so really looking forward to taking her here.

The area is very well served for playgrounds for younger children so I don?t think anyone?s really got anything to complain about!

• 2 months later...