Steve Jobs 1955-2011

drew

Sad when anyone dies, but apparently according to those close to him he was difficult and downright obnoxious.

He was responsible for halting Apple's Philantropic arm in exchange for more profit and he wasn't reponsible for the design or engineering of the ipod, iphone or ipad.

I still own an ipod and iphone mind.

I first came across Apple when I was dating someone from City of London Polytechnic back in the late 1980s - she used an Apple and an Apricot (which I thought was nicer without understanding why computers were named after fruit) - it was a bugger to use and everyone seemed to spend their time saying things like MS-Dos.

I only started to understand how to use them myself when the forerunners of PCs (referred to then as IBM Compatibles) started to spread so I never really got on the Apple bus.

A small part of me also still thinks of Apple like this...

http://magicstatistics.com/wp-content/uploads/white%20album.jpg

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Saw a great one on FB earlier... "Steve Jobs has

> transformed our lives"...

One of mine has gone with 'visionary', despite only using her iPhone for videoing her infant daughter eating breakfast.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Hey *Bob*, were you talking about your 'friends'

> then? Is everyone talking about their 'friends'?

> My 'friends' seem disinterested. Most recent post

> was this.

>

>

> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-as

> h4/307648_2033827092940_1462076474_31721567_309999

> 860_n.jpg

Brilliant :))

ETA: Why do so many of my posts end up on the top of a page so you can't see the context, and now the link to the bloody photo in Alan Medic's post doesn't even work (6)

Sue Wrote:

> ETA: Why do so many of my posts end up on the top

> of a page so you can't see the context, and now

> the link to the bloody photo in Alan Medic's post

> doesn't even work (6)

Are you using a PC, Sue?

I do find the EDF strange - a very successful innovator, entreprenuer and businessman dies absurdly young from a horrible disease. Yet the thrust of most posts is to disparage the man, his life and his products. I have no doubt that a significant majority of EDF users own at least one Apple product. Against this a lost cat, or sick pet, will generate masses of posts wishing the owner well - witness the Help Find Marnie thread that appeared just after I posted this message.

I am personally most grateful for the Apple story - for my Apple Mac, my iPhone and the household iPad that lives in the kitchen and makes web browsing, e-mailing and general reseach very easy. I recall working with PCs in the early 80s, struggling to remember MS-DOS commands, that today's computing is so much simpler is in a great part due to Steve Jobs and the company he founded.

I do not condone the vacuous, mawkish and pathetic faux grief that Twitter is currently overloaded with and find the idea of floral and "bitten apple" tributes at Apple stores quite bewildering.

However, I believe the life and work of Steve Jobs, the man, is worthy of applause and positive memories.

Edited to add the "Marnie" comment.

Very well said that (Marmora) Man.

Weird EDF reaction....mawkish sentiment agreed but thats just symptomatic of a collective behaviour/human reaction that was there long before Twitter and FB.

And clearly if it was as simple as painting shit pink then selling it you all could have done better right?

Well said Marmora Man.

Steve cant control the OTT reactions of others ... and hence we should only focus on his own contribution.

His contribution made change ... and he deserves respect for what he has achieved. His strength through sickness was also inspirational - his life was cut short due to a terrible sickness and this fact seems to have been lost by some.

Most of the above is about the products (or in my case, the owners of the products) - not the man - and the fact is that Apple products have always been divisive, attracting quantities of vociferous love and loathe along the way. At the 'loathe' end of the spectrum, you'll find people who see Apple as the cheerleader for a world of shiny, consumerist desire: a desire for things which everyone wants but no-one needs.

Jobs sought it - and (I would say) thrived on it.

So divisive in death, as in life: I don't think he's want it any other way.

That's my obituary!

Disclosure I have an ipod but

disturbs me.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

I'm firmly in the 'what a shame, great man' camp. Perhaps I was just lucky in that I don't use Twitter and all I saw on Facebook were simple comments expressing sadness.

But in spite of myself my lips twitched at the Mash headline: 'Can We Get Flash Now, Ask Apple Owners'

Marmora Man Wrote:

I have no doubt that a

> significant majority of EDF users own at least one

> Apple product. Against this a lost cat, or sick

> pet, will generate masses of posts wishing the

> owner well - witness the Help Find Marnie thread

> that appeared just after I posted this message.

>

> I am personally most grateful for the Apple story

> - for my Apple Mac, my iPhone and the household

> iPad that lives in the kitchen and makes web

> browsing, e-mailing and general reseach very easy.

> I recall working with PCs in the early 80s,

> struggling to remember MS-DOS commands, that

> today's computing is so much simpler is in a great

> part due to Steve Jobs and the company he

> founded.

>

> I do not condone the vacuous, mawkish and pathetic

> faux grief that Twitter is currently overloaded

> with and find the idea of floral and "bitten

> apple" tributes at Apple stores quite bewildering.

>

>

> However, I believe the life and work of Steve

> Jobs, the man, is worthy of applause and positive

> memories.

>

> Edited to add the "Marnie" comment.

Excuse me but i do not go through this forum looking for who has posted what @ what time or day.

Remember that thread you started *Bob* which was all a "should I or shouldn't I get one " angst about the iPad. I think I called it a "giant iphone". I feel we may have since swapped positions. I suspect you never bought one whereas I've now woken up to where tablets sit for mutimedia use adn will get one when I can afford it. But then I was never hip, always a late adopter....