Wine Glass

jumpinjackflash

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This has been covered in some depth on these pages

> before. Scott was determined that they were not

> going to change their policy.

>

> Just don't go back if the tumblers upset you.

> There are plenty of other options nearby.

It hasn't put me off going back in the slightest..it's a nice place and the pizzas look good..but Jees is it too much for them to supply a nice wine glass?

jumpinjackflash Wrote:

> but Jees is it too much for them to supply a nice wine glass?

Obviously it is, yes! The tumblers had plenty of critics when the pub opened (as well as a few fans who liked the euro-rustic style), but the pub stuck to their guns.

Horses for courses, Guinness in a tulip, Brown ale in a china mug, Lager in a schooner..

Plonk in an Arcoroc Mini or a plain Duralex Gigogne.

New World shiraz or Provencal Ros? (with ice) in a classic Duralex Provence or the risque Picardie.

1995 Chateau Figeac in a Riedel (a Vinum XL Cabernet Sauvignon).

(I wouldn't care overmuch about the glasses at the Actress - their bigger problems include the substandard pizzas, the overpriced lager and the distracted staff)

I think Maxxi is spot on here.

It's a pub.

You're drinking plonk. I don't care if you're paying ?25 a bottle - that's retail which means it costs less than a tenner wholesale and by the time you add in costs, shipping, VAT and the cost of the bottle it's definitely plonk.

If you're going in there, sticking your nose in a goblet and pretending you can smell elderberries then you're fooling no-one but yourself.

You're also drinking it with pizza. Not cuisine cooked by Thomas Keller.

So really, drink it from a tumbler and stop stressing about the small things. Life's too short.

Not stressing, merely musing.

To hell it with it, it's only a pub, pizzas etc, so eat off paper plates, or out of cardboard boxes, then.

I like my wine (very cold and white) in a thin glass, nothing to do with gooseberries, blackcurrants or even bananas.

RosieH Wrote:

> Depending who my guests are for dinner, I often

> serve wine in tumblers - less likely to get

> knocked over - I've lost many a crystal wine glass

> to a cack-handed piss-head,

Your dinner parties sound kind of fun. Do you have any rubber sheets on the spare bed? When do I get an invite?

Atticus Wrote:

> Ooh la la why not give the punter choice, wine

> glass or pretentious school tumbler? Reckon the

> tumbler shelf would gather dust in no time.

A choice seems more respectful of your customers needs/preferences.

I suppose it depends on if you want to taste your wine properly. (I say this having passed my Wine&Spirit Education Trust Diploma way back in 1984 which involves rather a lot of blind tasting when I was managing an Oddbins).

Perhaps an appropriate response might be to explain to the barman :-

You might be interested to consider the following facts. There is a prescribed method for tasting a wine. The perfect glass for tasting wine is based on the Spanish Copita, it's called the ISO tasting glass.

http://www.wineware.co.uk/images/products/main/small/white-wine-peter-stegerx4.jpg

It has a stem which allows you swirl the wine around to view the gradation of the colour of the wine which helps you decide on the age of the wine and the "legs" which slide down the bowl help you to decide the alcohol level, and therefore the must weight of the wine. That gives a clue as to it's provenance. The bowl of the glass curves inwards which holds the aroma of the wine so that you can identify the grape variety. Swirling the wine in the glass releases the volatile esthers in the wine which improves the flavour allowing you to decide the balance of alcohol, fruit, acidity and sugar in a white wine, or the fruit, alcohol, acidity and tannin in a red wine. These allow you to evaluate the quality of the wine and decide on how long it will take to mature and be at it's best. Of course in order to best appreciate all this it is of paramount importance that you do ont taint the glass with detergent, or wear aftershave or perfume which might affect the nose and palate of other tasters.

Of course if you said that to the staff of the Actress, they'd think you were a pompous tw*t. ;-)

Much as I'd think the barman/owner was for forcing me to have a tumbler, particularly if it wasn't a French wine.

So that's how they drink Pinot Grigio in France is it? Or Rioja? or Montepulciano? I wasn't aware the French acknowledged the existence of any fruit of the grape that doesn't carry an AOC certificate.

Then again maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to taste the wine too carefully.

I want a German lager... will you serve it in a Stein my dear bartender?

You've got to love the EDF

Cheers :)-D

If I saw anyone swirling and sniffing wine in a pub, I'd think they were pretentious and silly. Besides, the strength/age/grape are written on the bottle!

All very well at a wine tasting or in a fine dining restuarant, but we're talking about cheap to mid-priced (at a push) wine, in a bar/pizzeria.

Atticus Wrote:

> Not stressing, merely musing.

> To hell it with it, it's only a pub, pizzas etc,

> so eat off paper plates, or out of cardboard

> boxes, then.

> I like my wine (very cold and white) in a thin

> glass, nothing to do with gooseberries,

> blackcurrants or even bananas.

exactly..wanting to drink wine out of a wine glass does not make someone a 'pretentious, silly snob FFS'. Whether I'm eating fillet steak or a fish-finger sandwich I prefer mine drunk from a WINE GLASS. That's how I drink it in my home and that's how I expect to drink it in a pub.

Mind you, I do prefer my Earl Grey from a China cup..it just doesn't taste the same from a thick bulky mug. Maybe I am a snob when it comes to drinking vessels..

"wanting to drink wine out of a wine glass does not make someone a 'pretentious, silly snob FFS'" - agree

"That's how I drink it in my home and that's how I expect to drink it in a pub." - disagree (in the sense that if the pub fails to meet your expectation it is deficient)

If you want to drink your wine (a) in a pub and (b) out of a wine glass, then that pub will not be the Actress. Simple. No value judgments necessary.

DaveR Wrote:

>

> If you want to drink your wine (a) in a pub and

> (b) out of a wine glass, then that pub will not be

> the Actress. Simple. No value judgments

> necessary.

xxxxxx

:)-D

don't get this, I like drinking wine out of a wine glass. thus, in according, I'm either pretentious or, not with the kids. Ultimately, give people a choice. all other thought is lazy. Do you eat cereal out of a coffee cup in Blue Mountain? Middle-class gone crazeeee

Atticus Wrote:

> don't get this, I like drinking wine out of a wine

> glass. thus, in according, I'm either pretentious

> or, not with the kids. Ultimately, give people a

> choice. all other thought is lazy. Do you eat

> cereal out of a coffee cup in Blue Mountain?

> Middle-class gone crazeeee

Like suburbanites who visited France in the 70s then came home and drank coffee with chicory out of cereal bowls. C'est chic!

I've visited France countless times and continue to go back to see family & friends at least 3 times a year. I can't remember a single occasion where I've drunk wine from a tumbler.

It doesn't strike me as at all authentic but equally doesn't bother me enough that I wouldn't return to The Actress.

I do find it odd though, that anyone who states they prefer drinking from a wine glass is labelled as 'pretentious'.