Just had 3 people knock on my door re Loft Insulation

sandnot

asking if I had recieved a letter from the goverment re a grant for loft insulation. Of course I couldn't remember! They wanted to come in an inspect my loft as I have had it insulated and part boarded. No chance with 3 of them!

I finaly got a name-Sigenergy.co.uk

Iam not sure if this a hard sell approach or legit thing?

What do you guys think?

cheers

s

Just had two people knock on my door about exactly the same thing - "Have you had your grant?"

When I said that people had only just been round, I was told "Yes it's my colleague, I've got to make sure he's doing his job properly."

I pointed out that people were likely to get pretty pissed off being called on twice within a very short space of time about the same subject.

I already got my grant some time ago, but I didn't use this company, I checked out what other providers were charging first (unless you are on certain benefits, you still have to pay something towards the cost of installation).

The girl who knocked at ours told me it was a free grant. I said I wasn't interested in talking and didn't ask for further info, we then had a 'playground type' exchange of words as she stropped off - honestly it was pathetic.

Funny though how I look here and see it is not free at all.

I had these guys round as well and my goodness were they aggressive! I was still trying to get my head round what they wanted/were offering when the guy was asking if he should take his shoes off before they came in - I sent them packing!

MM&SW Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had these guys round as well and my goodness

> were they aggressive! I was still trying to get my

> head round what they wanted/were offering when the

> guy was asking if he should take his shoes off

> before they came in - I sent them packing!

lol, you must have a nice clean light coloured carpet I'm guessing :))

Mrs TP Wrote:

> The girl who knocked at ours told me it was a free

> grant.

xxxxxxx

It is free if you are on certain benefits.

If you aren't, you get a certain amount of the insulating paid (I can't remember how much, but it does make quite a difference to the cost).

Different companies will charge you different amounts. However they all are obviously claiming the grant money back from the government, hence the hard sell.

We had them in, they had a look at our loft - which is boarded over - and diagnosed that the reason that our back bedroom is b**k-freezing in winter is because we haven't got any loft insulation over it.

So we are having it insulated, and the Council pays half (I think)

Let's hope that when it snows next week or whenever, we'll be a little warmer.

Don't think the council actually pays anything, though I might be wrong - I've filed away all the paperwork now (in the newly insulated loft, so I can't be a***d to find it to check!!!).

The council is associated with a particular loft insulation company, but when I compared costs, that company was more expensive than a firm where the council wasn't involved.

I've just had the FOURTH person call at my door about this in a matter of a few days.

Apparently they are from a company called S.I.G. Energy.

As I have told them EACH TIME that I've already had my grant and had my loft insulated, you would think they might coordinate their records, no?

Evidently not.

They knocked on my door earlier, I say "knocked" more BANG BANG BANG! I was bathing my daughter and thought it was an emergency so ran down and opened the door. When I realised it wasn't an emergency and explained I was bathing my daughter so had to go, they didn't appear to have any comprehension of the urgency of that situation and just kept pushing me about whether I had loft insulation or not. None of your bloody business! was my final retort. I know door to door is a shit job but geez they make my blood boil.

SilverSurfer65 Wrote:

> We've had three people TWICE today; told them I

> had loft insulation

> and that it was boarded, and I couldn't be

> bothered to clear the stuff

> out. He said we wouldn't have to and that it had

> to be of a certain

> thickness by 2012. Told them I didn't want it

> done and closed the door.

xxxxxxxx

It's true that the recommended thickness has increased, but I'm sure it's not compulsory to increase it.

And of course you'd have to clear the loft of boxes etc before they could lay additional insulation, how on earth could they lay it otherwise?

I've only got part of my loft boarded, which I use for storage, and I didn't get the extra insulation laid there. I was told by

The Energy Saving Trust

who give impartial advice on things like this, that boxes of stuff in effect acts as insulation in any case - although it would have been possible to increase the amount of insulation in those areas by raising the floor, but I just couldn't face the hassle.

Masterblaster Wrote:

> Extra loft insulation good.

>

> Persistent knobbers not understanding "we are a

> house built in the last year, and have all of the

> insulation required by the current codes" bad.

xxxxxxx

Yeh, or persistently not understanding "the first time representatives of your firm called here, just the other day, I clearly told you that I had already had a grant and had already had loft installation installed" and therefore calling THREE MORE TIMES !!!!

(6) God I'm becoming a Grumpy Old Woman :))

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Why would they expect you to allow them access to

> your loft space in this manner?

> Surely the whole "make an appointment at an

> appropriate time" should be more fitting?

xxxxxx

I wonder whether the grants are available only for a limited time, which is coming to an end?

Could this be why they are being so persistent, because the Goose That Lays The Golden Eggs is about to stop laying them?

Obviously these companies are making a lot of money out of the government. Bit like all those pushy computer training firms that sprung up when there was government money available for them to run courses.

Had these people round my place today and I think that the deal they had wasn't bad. ?199 for 2 seperate lofts. Labour and materials. I know that if I investigated further then i could prob get it a bit cheaper but I have paid for loft insulation in the past and buying the insulation rolls from Wicks and then getting it put down (I don't do lofts) came in a bit less than the price they quote but with more hassle and that was 5 yrs ago.

my lofts are not lagged as well as they could be and I guess the place will be warmer(upstairs as least).

Hope I havn't been naive but it didn't seem a bad deal.

But if you know diffrent.

Eliza.D Wrote:

> Had these people round my place today and I think

> that the deal they had wasn't bad. ?199 for 2

> seperate lofts. Labour and materials. I know that

> if I investigated further then i could prob get it

> a bit cheaper but I have paid for loft insulation

> in the past and buying the insulation rolls from

> Wicks and then getting it put down (I don't do

> lofts) came in a bit less than the price they

> quote but with more hassle and that was 5 yrs

> ago.

> my lofts are not lagged as well as they could be

> and I guess the place will be warmer(upstairs as

> least).

> Hope I havn't been naive but it didn't seem a bad

> deal.

> But if you know diffrent.

xxxxxxx

Don't think anybody's suggesting loft insulation isn't a good thing, or that these people may not be offering a relatively good deal.

It's their pushy selling methods that people are objecting to.

Had a woman caller re loft insulation. She said she was from the government. Having read this thread I suggested she was actually from a company. I told her we had just had it done with our loft conversion and she asked specific dates. I was actually on my way out and she was very pushy. She was more or less suggesting it was compulsory for me to give her the information. When I again suggested she didnt actually 'come from the governemnt' she got quite argumentative.