TfL plan to reroute Bus 40 away from London Bridge

Bic Basher

Hi all

Thanks for sharing this on here Bic Basher.

The proposal to change the 40's route certainly seems to have its pros and cons. I would be interested to see the outcome of the consultation before making up my mind about whether or not to support it. The more people we can encourage to complete it the better.

And for what it's worth, I use the bus network every day to get to work. That said, I am also quite fond of gravy :)

Best wishes

James

jamesmcash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all

>

> Thanks for sharing this on here Bic Basher.

>

> The proposal to change the 40's route certainly

> seems to have its pros and cons. I would be

> interested to see the outcome of the consultation

> before making up my mind about whether or not to

> support it. The more people we can encourage to

> complete it the better.

>

> And for what it's worth, I use the bus network

> every day to get to work. That said, I am also

> quite fond of gravy :)

>

> Best wishes

> James

Er, if you want to change the outcome of the consultation, you don't wait until the consultation is finished and a decision is made to come up with an opinion. I think many people who use the route now would welcome interventions from Councillors before TFL have formally decided.

OK, as I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the proposed scenario is that the 45 will terminate at E&C rather than go to Kings Cross and the 40's route will be taken away from a heavily used commuter route into the City and changed to go to a route which is already currently served by the 45 and the 63. So, we're taking away a very much needed route into the City to give to a route that is already served. I honestly can't understand the reasoning behind this - although TFL's headquarters are directly opposite Southwark Tube Station so maybe whoever they consulted just fancied an easier journey into work.

The other problem with diverting the 40 away from London Bridge is that this current route also makes it easier for residents in Dulwich to get to the council's main office in Tooley Street for planning and licensing meetings, as well as meetings with council officers. The 40's route up Lordship Lane straight to London Bridge, without having to change buses, is far more reliable and economical than using the trains or ping-ponging bus routes. So, those of us in the south of the borough will suffer most... especially since we don't have any council offices or meeting facilities down here (and Peckham is another nightmare to get to by bus).

On one hand the council keeps saying that they want to get Dulwich/East Dulwich residents out of their cars but, on the other hand, public transportation is becoming increasingly more obtuse.

Hi all

The initial impression I got from this thread was that there were mixed feelings about whether the proposed route was preferable to the existing one. Hence, my suggestion that I would be keen to see what the balance of opinion is. The results of the consultation are released before the final decision is made. Given that this is not an issue of principle my intention was to support whichever outcome looks like it will have the most positive impact on the local community.

However, I recognise and appreciate the point that an intervention from local councillors will have a greater impact if it is early in the process. So I am going to ask around further and listen to the opinions of local residents - including on here - and discuss the issue with my fellow councillors with the aim of submitting a collective consultation response based on local community opinion and what will have the best outcome for Goose Green residents.

Best wishes,

James

I agree with previous comments, that we do not want the proposed changes to the no.40 bus route. Given that we are an area of London which is particularly dependent on buses, it is wrong to truncate our only bus route to London Bridge.

I would be surprised if the density of offices around the Blackfriars end of the city is anywhere near as high as the density of offices around the London Bridge end, particularly with all the new towers going up. So it doesn?t make sense to me to substitute one for the other, particularly when Thameslink already serves Blackfriars from South East London.

jamesmcash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all

>

> The initial impression I got from this thread was

> that there were mixed feelings about whether the

> proposed route was preferable to the existing one.

> Hence, my suggestion that I would be keen to see

> what the balance of opinion is. The results of the

> consultation are released before the final

> decision is made. Given that this is not an issue

> of principle my intention was to support whichever

> outcome looks like it will have the most positive

> impact on the local community.

>

> However, I recognise and appreciate the point that

> an intervention from local councillors will have a

> greater impact if it is early in the process. So I

> am going to ask around further and listen to the

> opinions of local residents - including on here -

> and discuss the issue with my fellow councillors

> with the aim of submitting a collective

> consultation response based on local community

> opinion and what will have the best outcome for

> Goose Green residents.

>

> Best wishes,

> James

We need this bus to access :

LB statione - especally when there are no trains from East Dulwich for whatever reason

Guy's

Southwark Cathedral

Borough Market

Tate

many cultural destinations

Tooley Street

and into the City ...

We have a paucity of transport options or combinations from East Dulwich, directly north - hobbling this service seems so perverse.

or as kiera said (just read your comment - truncate - good word)

He who hesitates is lost.

missed a bit - I am therefore totally opposing changes to the 40 bus route,

you know,

if it works don't fix it ??!!

I am completely opposed to these changes and have completed the consultation. I use this route to commute to London Bridge and it is pretty packed during rush hour, this has increased over the years not decreased, no doubt the crap train service from ED to LB have played a part in this. It's not like we have or are in consideration for a Tube station so our options are already limited. Taking away this busy route makes no sense whatsoever.