TfL plan to reroute Bus 40 away from London Bridge

Bic Basher

Have responded and added comments around disability impact to equality impact section. Would ask others to do the same.

This really is a major issue for patients attending Guy's. The 42 bus is just not a reasonable alternative. I know it's hard to imagine but if you're not well or suffering from side effects of chemo 100 meters is a very long way (a marathon as said above) let alone trying to navigate crowded places such as London Bridge or bus interchanges.

Thanks all

I recently made a enquiry/complaint to TFL about the increased number of buses I've been on terminating early at rush hour - spurred on by a day when I got on 3 x 63 buses one after the other and none of them ran beyond Blackfriars

I got the usual brush off reply but it had some interesting stuff in it, relevant to the plans for the number 40. TFL's view is that the way to keep buses running to time with less resources is to run shorter bus routes and require passengers to change at least once (but up to two times is considered acceptable) to get to destinations that used to be served by a single route. Their theory is that it's the long bus routes that cause delays overall and that running shorter routes and requiring people to change more is the way to keep things running smoothly and "to provide maximum service to the main and busiest parts of the route". Which is exactly what they are proposing with the 40.

To the comment above, that seems to assume that everyone is able to navigate multiple buses with limited allowance for people with disabilities, prams, luggage and that it will be possible to change onto other buses at peak times.

Siduhe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I recently made a enquiry/complaint to TFL about

> the increased number of buses I've been on

> terminating early at rush hour - spurred on by a

> day when I got on 3 x 63 buses one after the other

> and none of them ran beyond Blackfriars

>

> I got the usual brush off reply but it had some

> interesting stuff in it, relevant to the plans for

> the number 40. TFL's view is that the way to keep

> buses running to time with less resources is to

> run shorter bus routes and require passengers to

> change at least once (but up to two times is

> considered acceptable) to get to destinations that

> used to be served by a single route. Their theory

> is that it's the long bus routes that cause delays

> overall and that running shorter routes and

> requiring people to change more is the way to keep

> things running smoothly and "to provide maximum

> service to the main and busiest parts of the

> route". Which is exactly what they are proposing

> with the 40.

>

> To the comment above, that seems to assume that

> everyone is able to navigate multiple buses with

> limited allowance for people with disabilities,

> prams, luggage and that it will be possible to

> change onto other buses at peak times.

The 63 is particularly bad for this. Used to happen all the time when i got it. The 40 less so. It's a good service usually, which makes it all the more annoying that they are getting rid of it. And it seems our local councillors are twiddling their thumbs doing nothing about it...

I believe buses are controlled by something called "Ibus", a controller who monitors where buses are in there journey compared to where they should be plus in the cab is a device that seems to allow the driver see where they should be. This can result in buses crawling between stops as a P13 did yesterday from Underhill Road to Lordship Lane at which point it returned to "normal" speed. You'll here a message broadcast on the bus saying "this bus has been instructed to wait here to even out the service". The driver puts out this message so they can "legitimately" wait at a bus stop for a few minutes. Really annoying when it happens and being turfed off early because the bus is terminating earlier than its destination is even more annoying. Its apparently called progress, yeah, right, I'd quite happy describe it as something else though. Little us the paying public can do about it.

Hi all

The Southwark Labour Group, which comprises the 49 Labour Councillors in Southwark, opposes these cuts to bus services, including the rerouting of the 40. The Council has submitted a consultation response to this effect.

This will be discussed at the next Council Assembly and I will be asking the Southwark Cabinet member about what we are doing locally on this issue, in particular with regard to the number 40.

Best wishes

James

dbboy Wrote:

> I believe buses are controlled by something called

> "Ibus", a controller who monitors where buses are

> in there journey compared to where they should be

> plus in the cab is a device that seems to allow

> the driver see where they should be. This can

> result in buses crawling between stops as a P13

> did yesterday from Underhill Road to Lordship Lane

> at which point it returned to "normal" speed.

> You'll here a message broadcast on the bus saying

> "this bus has been instructed to wait here to even

> out the service". The driver puts out this message

> so they can "legitimately" wait at a bus stop for

> a few minutes. Really annoying when it happens and

> being turfed off early because the bus is

> terminating earlier than its destination is even

> more annoying. Its apparently called progress,

> yeah, right, I'd quite happy describe it as

> something else though. Little us the paying public

> can do about it.

Yes it is annoying having to wait, but don't you remember when we would all moan about how one would wait half an hour and then three buses turn up at once? That virtually never happens now and in my experience the buses are much more regular and evenly spaced these days, a few minutes waiting at a stop is a reasonable price to pay for that I feel. No excuse for terminating services early though.

Interesting times for buses.

I've pretty much given up using buses because they take too long and are very crowded at the times I want to use them. I'm sure they're slower than they used to be, probably because of Uber, Amazon Prime and population/economic growth.

I now have a belt-drive bike which is very little maintenance and I'm sure e-scooters are going take off in the next couple of years.

This essentially leaves buses for the elderly, disabled, ill, parents with small children and drinkers.

jrpfinch Wrote:

>

> This essentially leaves buses for the elderly,

> disabled, ill, parents with small children and

> drinkers.

And people who aren't in a hurry who would rather have a pleasant journey where they can get a seat and look out of the window.

And don't have to worry about traffic, other people's appalling driving and finding somewhere to park.

jamesmcash Wrote:

> Hi all

>

> The Southwark Labour Group, which comprises the 49

> Labour Councillors in Southwark, opposes these

> cuts to bus services, including the rerouting of

> the 40. The Council has submitted a consultation

> response to this effect.

>

> This will be discussed at the next Council

> Assembly and I will be asking the Southwark

> Cabinet member about what we are doing locally on

> this issue, in particular with regard to the

> number 40.

>

> Best wishes

> James

• 4 months later...

The consultation response has been published and is here: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/central-london/

It's over 200 pages and includes very detailed summaries of the responses (e.g. 76% of respondents think the shortening of the 40 bus route will have a negative impact on their journeys - page 95-ish) and dozens of pages of council and politician opposition to the proposals. But then it goes on to say that 29 or the original 33 proposals are going ahead, including the shortening of the 40 bus route. Nice of TfL to listen.