TfL plan to reroute Bus 40 away from London Bridge

Bic Basher

TfL have saved routes like the 19, which had a huge campaign to save one of the few cross London bus routes left.

The reasoning behind the 40 decision is that there is sufficient capacity to change at the Elephant for the 35 or the 133 to London Bridge.

As for the re-routing of the 40 to Clerkenwell Green, the only benefit will be when the Elizabeth line opens at Farringdon, until then, it's wasteful duplication already provided by the 63 at Peckham Rye.

I agree that the changes to bus services effect the less well off and once implemented they are highly unlikely to ever be reversed. Thank some suit in TfL for that plus the bus companies that have to do as they are told by TfL. TfL ultimately run and control the bus network. The companies are are purely contracted operators.

Khan is a politician who simply follows the recommendation's he is given by TfL and duly signs them off. He ultimately does what is best for him (what is best for business, that being Khan himself). If you want to change things, in 2020 when he will be up for re-election, select a different candidate.

While it is not possible to disrespect him for maintaining bus and tram fares at ?1.50 per journey and the daily cap which saves Londoner's a shed load of money day in and day out each year, that, and the Elizabeth Line have left TfL with a major deficit. I suspect the new mayor when elected may well have to increase all fares across the entire transport network and withdraw the daily cap in an attempt to balance the books, but that will not be Khan's concern any more.

When Khan goes, like Boris, he will not bother as he already has his eye on a much greater prize, plus he and Corbyn basically detest each other, so in a nut shell if you want change that can only come through the ballot box.

He validates the recommendation given to him by TfL through signing it off, he doesn't care what it says ,all he cares about is himself, he's a politician, that's what they do. It's us who will have to sort out the TfL deficit through eventually having to pay much higher fares when Khan is no longer Mayor. He sure as hell will not do it on his own watch. It would be political suicide.

Well he is the person responsible for TfL, unless you know different, so the buck sits with him. All you're doing is trying to make it political.

TfL is a business, it needs to be run as such. In the commercial world it would have been killed off years ago. What's more, London does NOT need a Major. It's a made up job that Khan has and that we pay for.

But it is political and if you can't see that you're being naive. How can it not be when Boris J as London Mayor was allowed to incorporate certain National Rail lines into the Overground but when Khan wanted to take similar action Failing Grayling refused permission because, heaven forfend, unlike Boris he was from a different party?

dbboy, in your first post you made the statement "When Khan goes, like Boris, he will not bother as he already has his eye on a much greater prize, plus he and Corbyn basically detest each other, so in a nutshell if you want change that can only come through the ballot box". In later posts you have made a number of political statements. It is therefore a bit rich for you subsequently to say that you were trying to keep politics out of this when you have expressed a number of opinions which are clearly political.

When you state that TfL is a business, it is not a commercial company making baked beans or widgets. It is an organisation running an important public service, namely public transport. In this country it has been the political decision of governments for the whole of my lifetime not to fund public transport adequately from the centre, with the result that we have probably the highest bus and train fares in Europe and indeed most of the rest of the world. This is the situation that anyone running TfL faces.

And what's with "ya get me"? Are you trying to get down wiv da kidz?

Transport is as much a political matter for London as the NHS is nationally. We've had two Mayors who have had bus vanity projects, Ken with his bendy buses and Boris with his New Routemaster, both of which have been revenue loss makers thanks to fare evasion.

London's bus network isn't revenue earning, it has huge subsidies to keep the network operating, regardless if Khan or another Tory Mayor gets in. All TfL travel modes except the Tube receive some form of subsidy as the tube is the only one making some form of money.

TfL also subsidise passengers as well, not just from cheap fares compared to the rest of the UK, but with free bus travel for under 19s, reduced bus fares for people on benefits (Universal Credit, ESA, Income Support), as well as the Over 60's pass (Freedom Pass is paid for by Southwark). This is in addition to the fares freeze.

dbboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> He validates the recommendation given to him by

> TfL through signing it off, he doesn't care what

> it says ,all he cares about is himself, he's a

> politician, that's what they do. It's us who will

> have to sort out the TfL deficit through

> eventually having to pay much higher fares when

> Khan is no longer Mayor. He sure as hell will not

> do it on his own watch. It would be political

> suicide.

Your original post said that he only did what was best for him and what was best for him personally. You have not provided an answer to my question nor any evidence to support your claim.

zebeddee tring -

1) actually I have made factual statements, and looking back on what I've written I don't consider any of them to be Political. First up, I'd say this if the Mayor was red, blue, yellow or from any other political party. For me this is NOT about politics, it's about stopping an ever increasing deficit and bringing much needed change to turn things around.

2)Agreed TfL don't make widgets, that's right, what they do is transport people around London, and if you actually bothered to read what I wrote, I said "TfL ultimately run and control the bus network. The companies are are purely contracted operators."

I agree with you that "we have probably the highest bus and train fares in Europe and indeed most of the rest of the world. This is the situation that anyone running TfL faces." In the real commercial world a business with such a huge deficit, which they are unable to control and repeat year on year wouldn't survive. It needs to change and change soon. What that means is reduce the deficit and turn the organisation around so it actually makes a profit which is then re-invested into the travel network.

No, it wasn't about getting down with da kidz, it was about getting your attention, and you know what, it worked!!

Bic Basher, Points 1,2 and 3 agreed. TfL are in control of the contracted out bus and tram service's provided for them. These companies do it to make a profit. Mark my words, whoever and I don't really care who it is, the new Mayor is in 2020 will need to reverse Khan's ?1.50 a journey fare, repeal the day fare cap and increase fares even further all around, just like Boris did when he was in office, and it's an office we don't need, much the same that Mayor's of London Boroughs are not needed and are a waste of time, effort and money.

> Bic Basher, Points 1,2 and 3 agreed. TfL are in

> control of the contracted out bus and tram

> service's provided for them. These companies do it

> to make a profit. Mark my words, whoever and I

> don't really care who it is, the new Mayor is in

> 2020 will need to reverse Khan's ?1.50 a journey

> fare, repeal the day fare cap and increase fares

> even further all around, just like Boris did when

> he was in office, and it's an office we don't

> need, much the same that Mayor's of London

> Boroughs are not needed and are a waste of time,

> effort and money.

It's pretty certain that TfL fares will rise in either May 2020 or January 2021 in an attempt to fill the plug lost by Government subsidies which used to help run the transport network, the loss of revenue from the late opening of the Elizabeth line and general revenue loss from passengers switching from the bus to other modes of transport.

I can't see the Hopper fare being axed though, it's through this scheme which has allowed bus routes to be cut.

Another issue that has made the bus service unreliable is the 20mph speed limits imposed by London boroughs including Southwark. There was a time when it was viable to use the bus into Zone 1, but unless you leave early or have the time to ride the bus, an 80 minute bus journey from ED to the West End simply isn't viable.

Totally agree about the 20 mph limit, ridiculous as is the habit of drivers to stop at a stop where no one has hailed the bus to stop or wants to get off, stop, open the doors, close the doors and move off again, a pointless time and fuel wasting exercise.

Or the spontaneous announcement saying the bus driver has been instructed to wait at the stop to EVEN out the service. There has been no instruction, it's the driver who has decided to do so. And oh yes, the latest one, the bus is about to depart or some similar stupid wording, after four stops, Please stop repeating the same message. it's bleedin' obvious.

Cella - Khan doesn't care about the impact or consequences, he signs off the TfL recommendations given to him as it makes no difference to how he operates.

Zebeddee ting - the current councillors have let the people down by not objecting strongly enough at the London Assembly That's what you get when you have Southwark operating as a one party state, which is wrong. Now that is a Political statement.

And as pebs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Poor shout from our local counsellors methinks. James Barber would have been all over this.

This thread was about the changes to bus routes and in particular for those in ED the No.40, which is what this thread needs to return to.

The only winners of the move from the 40 is Uber at the like as passengers end up spending over ?10 per way to go to Guys Hospital instead of the stress of changing buses at the Elephant.

I went to Soho last weekend to see my friend's comedy show which ended up with drinks until after 1am. Now, I could have got the 176 home, but my friend insisted I got an Uber home. It cost ?25.50 home with the spike in charges, but I was home by 1.25 and the driver did 30mph on TfL managed streets.